->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:45 am 

New member just followed Rustam, Kanwar, Asif et al from I4G group. Really interesting.. only fished once in Mighty Mississipi in Minneapolis but without any luck nearly went to Ice fising trip couple of times. Heard lot of Walleye, Strugeon and Northern Pike stories along with few Dodge rams that went through ice at Lake Milelac.. Now residing in New York City stones throw from East river.. Its getting very tempting to start fishing but I am worst than novice..

Regards
Navdeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Navdeep,

Have a friend who knows the ropes take you out a couple of times and you wont think you are all that bad at it. I regret starting off so late but better late than never. At least you wont face the hassle of getting decent tackle.

Get cracking and welcome aboard.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Welcome abaord Navdeep, look forward to your active participation.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

ngrewal wrote:
Its getting very tempting to start fishing

Be aware its very addictive also. I started last year, use to be at banks of Western Yamuna Canal at 6'clock in freezing October mornings . My wife started thinking I am gone mad :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. Paused for sometime now due to some family problems and tackle unavailability.

ngrewal wrote:
but I am worst than novice..

Tell me about it. I caught 1.5 Kg Rohu atlast after ground baiting one spot for one month :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Welcome to the forum mate. You gonna enjoy it :)

Inder

Last edited by kanwar76 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
At least you wont face the hassle of getting decent tackle.

:oops: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:58 pm 

Thanks ever one..
Rustam and Inder, I am new to the city and none of my friends fish..nevertheless I shall try to hook up with some one or convince some one to join me.
Well here is weird fact, for me buying tackle rods etc is cheaper its storage thats expensive. My apartment is too small so everything is offsite.

Navdeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:44 pm 
Fishaholic

I'll store it for free. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
I'll store it for free. :wink:

Now that Rustam offered you storage space can you please get some for me also :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:27 pm 

Rustam and Inder

Who knows we might take each other up on these offers. Next time incase you make it around here let me know. Vice Verca I have had two close calls on making to Blore. More I visit India I realize instead of sitting home and getting bored its not a bad idea to have fishing buddies and even store equipment there.. I know golf buddies who do the same

Thanks
Navi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Navdeep,

I was merely having a laugh. Don't know about these golfers but I would consider it a criminal waste of money to leave tackle somewhere just on the offchance you will visit a couple of times in a year. You could always bring down your own tackle or borrow mine if you accompany me.

Give angling a go. Pretty sure you will love it.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
I was merely having a laugh. Rustam

Same here navdeep, You can always use mine (If i ever manage to get any :( ) when u come over here...

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 am 

Rustam and Kanwar

Its like Mastercard add tackle XX DOllares experience priceless.

How are far along are u Kanwar with the purchase? Atleast you guys have company to learn from each other. hang in there

Navdeep

kanwar76 wrote:
Rustam Bana wrote:
I was merely having a laugh. Rustam

Same here navdeep, You can always use mine (If i ever manage to get any :( ) when u come over here...

Inder

Post subject: Ahoy there, matey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:27 pm 

Welcome aboard Navdeep.
Same here, got myself a rig, yet to catch a worm(plastic or otherwise!)leave alone a fish.
As a newbie, all I can say is wear a blindfold when you go into a fish/tackle shop-Its such an industry- and ends up with shades of obsession...
tied my first knot to a hook-uni-8-9 attempts till i got it right.No, the hook is not embedded in me :D
Come sep and we shall go fishing.till then you'll have to bear with me!
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:50 pm 

Hi Asif

I did go into a Sportmart in Queens NY so agree with your assessment on being a kid in a candy store but not knowing what I require. So Shakespeare and other rods. I hope these are telescopic tubes coz I was wondering how the heck am I going to fit them in my car. See how naive I am... :oops:

Ironically I live on an island smack in middle of East River and I see lot of anglers around. So what kind of gear did you pick up ?

Regards
Navdeep

Post subject: Gear
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:41 pm 

Navdeep, i was wandering around VA/bellevue hosp area in may.what a scorcher it was!
Rig: Ahem,
Rod is Ugly stick, lite graphite, Med action,reel is pflueger gold medalist pro,8 bearing,gear ratio 5.2 :1,holds 100yds of 8lb line-have stren 1/4 lb 1000yd in 12lb...sufix, 30 lb lo vis BRAID-Hooks-Eagle claw , plain shank no 4 - and 3x treble 10, NO 8 3x treble,booyah pond magic spinner bait and a plano 4600box.
floats are Thill,swivels-jeros tackle #5, allegedly will hold upto 45 lbs...

When I got this stuff, it was bought by a distant relative, who shall remain distant-contrary, to the list I had forwarded from Rustam.I'm told by the Hon forum members that I do stand a chance of catching a fish with this!
A request for equipment suitable for indian scenario will probably have you inundated here-so gofor it!

You can get in the rod as cabin baggage, in a 'flambeau' tube-I did that.Check it in and continental will hit you for 130 bucks for ea additional pc of luggage beyond the allowed 2!Unless you know a friendly skycap!
However, basic rod and reel and hooks, line is fine.Spinners/spoons -as you learn from here..dont forget the blinders and dark glasses when you walk into your gear shop or you'll probably end up coming out with a cabin cruiser :shock:
Best
Axx

Post subject: Re: Gear
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:20 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
You can get in the rod as cabin baggage, in a 'flambeau' tube-I did that.Check it in and continental will hit you for 130 bucks for ea additional pc of luggage beyond the allowed 2!Unless you know a friendly skycap!
Axx

So now thats a addition of $13 in my already streched budget, there goes the vest and now i have to look for a suitable chap to bring it in :oops: :(

Inder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:14 pm 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:
So now thats a addition of $13 in my already streched budget.

Deepak,

Brought back mine in an ordinary Cabelas cardboard tube as cabin baggage. So stop fretting and playing the poor engineer.

Rustam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:47 am 

Asif

I tried to ping on this board for meeting up here in NYC on your last trip. If you think May was scorcher try now a days. I will try to buy but need to read some stuff on rigging all this up.
Best of luck..

navdeep

[quote="eljefe"]Navdeep, i was wandering around VA/bellevue hosp area in may.what a scorcher it was!

Post subject: FAO-Navdeep
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:31 am 

Navdeep, the regulars here highly recommend a 2 pc rod.before may, what i knew about fishing eqpt could probably be written on a pin-slightly better now-it may fit on a stamp...

I was recommended a Shimano set up-with Rustam being optimistic about my regular fishing forays...if you're going to be here a couple of times a year and want to fish in a canal/lake with a little bit of river fishing, you'll have to take a call on how much you want to spend ... there are 3 pc heavy duty travel rods available, which are about 20-24 inches disassembled-get yourself one of these? The rest of the set up, see Inders tackle list, (with helpful advice thrown in the ol timers about pan frying fish fillets, fluffing the sleeping bags etc)
To sum it up,
1.Rod-2 pc or 3 pc travel
2.Reel-guess you gotta spend a decent amount-50 -70 bucks-as an afterthough, ENSURE reel is compatible to rod!!
3.Line-going by the current info here, a 1/4 lb spool of 10lb, 15lb and 20lb each
4.Terminal tackle-Ha, you need hooks, spoons, spinners and swivels,-the local dada's here will tell you what the fish are biting, the sizes and qty to buy.
If you get the stuff together, get here,and we'll hook out a couple of dead dogs and hopefully not snag each other. :oops:
What you do is when ready, put out a call here, get your list togeteher, go into the shop, grab ONLY the listed stuff and run like hell!
Best
Axx

Post subject: FAO-Navdeep
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:50 am 

Navdeep,
here's something frm this forum, hpe it wwill be of use

Best
Axx

Ken L wrote:
As a regular backpacking anger, my main advice would be to overgun rather than undergun it.
Of course, if you intend to chase everything from 100g trout to 20kg Mahseer and Barramundi, you will ideally have an array of rods and reels but if you are stuck for cash and space/weight and can only carry one rod, it's woth remembering that:

Heavy gear is simply more robust and will shake off knocks that might break more subtle tackle - remember tackle shops arn't exactly plentiful in India.

You can catch small fish on heavy but trying to land a big fish on light gear is much less practical (it's hard to fish with a reel that has stripped gears) and even if you do get your quarry in, it's survival chances will be greatly reduced after a protracted fight.

If you're buying gear in the US, it's worth remembering that the terms are relative. A "Heavy" action spinning rod is only "Heavy" for US Bass fishing and will often be a bit of a lightweight in other parts of the world.

If cash is rather limited I'd be inclined to go with something like the heaviest rod in the Quantum Great White Inshore Travel Spinning Rod range. This is rated to cast upto 2oz (56g) and will cover most general fishing (although Barra and Mahseer will push it to the limit) and will sufice for a little light bait fishing on the coast or in freshwater.
If you have a liitle more money available, I can hartily recomend the StCroix Tidemaster travel rods that are also rated to cast 2oz but will in fact throw 3 without a problem.
Both rods come in a tough tube that can be strapped to a backpack or suitcase.
One last thing to mention about US rods; Ignore the line rating (it's hopelessly optimistic) and look at the casting weight range.

Reels are a personal choice but I'd be inclined to go with at least a 5000 and better yet a 6000 sized reel with at least one spare spool - two would be better because it allows you to load up with 25lb braid for general fishing, 20lb mono for bait fishing and spinning amongst rocks where abraision resistance is vital and 10lb braid for ficking little lures about.
If you only have one spare spool, leave the light braid in the packaging and spool it over the top of the 25lb when you get to have a shot for trout.
I personally prefere a front drag reel because the drag is smoother and they are generally lighter but if you like to do a lot of bait fishing, a baitrunner (AKA baitfeeder) is a good idea.

If you need any advice of lines, lures etc, post away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:04 pm 

Asif et. al

Thanks for the info...Cabela's too far so I will try the local stores for the Gear

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Navdeep,

It's a good idea to go to your local tackle store because they can guide and help you get started. Hopefully, they aren't the type who are just after your money.

Whilst there also check what fishing licences, if any, are applicable and ask them for contact details of the angling clubs in your area. A club would be a good place to learn the basics and see what sort of tackle is being used and for what.

Rustam