[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Hello to IAs from London - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: Hello to IAs from London
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:46 pm 

Hello Indian Anglers,

I’m Manian joined the group today. I guess I'm quiet late identifying this wonderful community, but from now onwards thinking of making friends feels nice and exciting. I understood and believe that in a broader perspective, anglers know more on fish behaviour than researchers. May be this is because anglers spend lots of time observing the habitat and behaviour. I came to this realisation when I started discussing with some of the leading fresh water anglers in U.K & U.S as part of my research.
I’m currently living in London and part of corporate food chain and I feel sometime civilized when I'm around fish. I've researched and visited many fish markets & farms in U.K, India and South East Asia to gain knowledge and understand about air breathing fishes and their behaviour. I’ve met few Murrel farmers & researchers in Tamilnadu and planning to start a rural aquaculture of Murrel in Tamilnadu for 3 key reasons. I adore them; Helps conservation against extinction; and strengthen rural economy cum awareness. Proper angling might be my future to explore the air breathing species and I bought all sorts of angling equipments without understanding how to fish like a professional.
But I do know little about angling I guess in a basic level. I grew up in a farm (south Chennai) surrounded by ponds and estuaries and lots of angling experience using typical bamboo, string, single hook and worm as bait. I caught many fresh water fishes since I was 5 years old. With the rapid growth of the city, lost all the water bodies, but continued in and around my native place near Rajapalayam (south Tamilnadu). It's been 15 years out of India, but used to go for snorkelling in rivers in Tamilnadu atleast once in a year. Paalaru, Tamirabarani and few rivers in Western Ghats was nice. I would like to be a professional angler and I know that's not possible unless I start doing it. I hope I learn from this group soon and I'll make the IA group proud for some great posts in future. Let me walk the talk :-)

I would like to humbly request you all to share your experience related to Murrel (Snakehead) fish for me to understand this fish better and help towards conservation, awareness & well being. Please post the answers for any queries relevant to you. Thanks a lot for your help and separated the queries with ;

Murrel's general behaviours observed during angling; what king of water body (fresh or saline water) it’s seen in abundant; what baits it liked the most; what times it comes to the surface mostly; what attracts them most (splash, drag e.t.c); What’s found in their stomach (if you did split and used for pot); what varieties (species like Striata, Marulius e.t.c) you have caught so far and where; what is the approximate depth of the water when caught; what is the type of water source (lake, pond, river, dam e.t.c); what’s the local name in each state within India; what price per Kilo is sold (depends on availability I guess); what method of fishing is used by the fisher man; Do fish market sell Murrel throughout the year or only in seasons; any symptoms on declining supply to the markets; Any disease identified when caught (eyes pop out, Pale skin, inflated stomach or gills e.t.c).

Please do post the link if similar queries answered before. The intention is to really know your view and experience. If anyone of you in U.K, please do get in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 am 
Fishaholic

Phew............ that is a long list of questions!!!!!!!!
There is a separate section here for murrel fishing. please go through. It may not give you the answers to all the questions you have asked but will give a fair knowledge of the species.

Welcome to the forum Manian.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to Indian Angler

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the Murrel gang. You need patience to get answers to all your questions. Read through the older posts & info on the net. Most of your questions can only be answered by the Fisheries department of your state.
Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm 
Fishaholic

hi manian... nice to see your interested in murrel culture..its is very nacent.. infact i believe only a pilot project has been undertaken by some catholic priests in kerala.. i have also heard of a keralite chap to sells fingerlings.. i my self have been keen on the same subject.. and i do know a few people who could be of help.. some of them are on this forum.. and could or would respond.. since there is a commercial aspect to it i dont think people would be to free..

Post subject: have a blast
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to Indian Angler. Have a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum, hope you will allow fishing in your murrel farm in the future for a fee and catch limit. Hope you succeed in your plans.
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:52 pm 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

manian ... please pm me your contact number..id like to speak with you.