->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:17 am 

Hi Everyone

My name is Stuart Walker i am 31 years old and have fished for as long as i can remember.

I love taking to people who have the same passion as i do.

I live in England and love fishing for Barbel, Chub, Carp & Pike. I fish the Swale, Dove and few smaller rivers and lakes close to my home.

A few years back i met my good friend Paul Tilly on another Internet forum we fished a few times on the river swale and he invited me to fish with him in the Himalayers for the Golden Mahseer, what an adventure !

Paul really opened my eyes to fishing abroad, we are planning another trip up North soon with our guide Misty.

I have fished twice up North and are going down south in 10 weeks

I have fished with Paul in Canada for White Sturgeon which was great we had fish upto 140lbs and Nile Perch in Egypt.

Paul & I also fish with Bob Roberts a well known angling writer in the UK, I saw Bob lose a 30-40lb Northern Mahseer at the shore, he still has knightmares about that today.

I am married with a daughter Isobel and have a fantastic wife who is very understanding with my fishing. I work for myself analysing machines predicting when they will fail.

Cheers

Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the Forum Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Stuart, can you tell when a reel is going to go pop under pressure from a mahseer?
Would that be the kind of thing you do in your job? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard Stuart.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Wellcome aboard the Nut house .... Stuart .. and tight lines always

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:13 pm 

Hi Steve

I think its the fixed spools which are most at risk of going pop due to the angle of the line coming of the spool in a hard fight, may result in bending the shaft.

A good quality multiplyer would take a lot more load to damage it as the shaft bearings would be loaded radially,as the line comes straight off the spool, the line would go before the reel unless its a very cheap one.

The only scary stories i have heard is of big mahseer stripping 150 yrds + in one go and the clutch overheating causing it to expand and start to lock up very quickly, i supose the only the to do is back the clutch right off, it happened to a friend of mine but he didn't know what was going on, he said the fish appeared on the srface under massive pressure then it took off again and the 40lb line went.

Cheers

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 am 
Fishaholic

My thoughts exactly about spinning reels Stu.
My count on loss of fish on 40lb mono breakage or pull free, using a multiplier is 15 till date.
Little water to play the fish in, so you tighten up the clutch and wait - the result a 30 second fight and broken line or the line comes off the multiplier in jerks and the hook pulls out. It can be damn frustrating.
Gone are the days when the big fish haunted the deep pools of the Kaveri, now it often means fishing difficult waters if you want a shot at a biggie. Either you get it right the first time or be prepared for the nightmares.