[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Hello from New Zealand - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: Hello from New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:05 am 

Hello. I am a keen angler from New Zealand and fish both freshwater (for Trout and Salmon and salt for a large variety of species. If these interest I can upload a few photos. I would be in India for a few weeks late September. The first 15 days I would be on a tour around Rajasthan seeing a few of the sights.

My tour ends in Delhi on the morning of the 25th (although potentially could skip the sleeping train and depart from Pushkar instead). Then I have a few days to spare before attending a wedding in Delhi which begins the evening of the 28th.

So that basically gives me three days to spare, and was wondering is there any worthwhile fishing around Delhi which could be accessed in that time frame? I would really like to catch a mahseer, but chances are would have to travel to far. My alternative plan was to take the Train to Varanasi and explore the city but I might be a bit over temples by then.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:20 pm 

Here are a few photos, I release most of the fish I catch so rarely get to take photos. Might throw up a few scenery photos if I get time.

This is the first (and only) Salmon I ever caught, weighed 7.7lb. Was a complete fluke, was spinning for trout at the time. Hooked a large one last year on my fly rod but the fight was over in a few seconds. Only a very small run of Salmon in my local river.

The first decent size trout I ever caught, looking back this one was in very poor condition. weighed around 3 1/2lbs. My personal best brown trout is 7lb (x2) and Rainbow is 5lb. There are double figure fish about but I never been able to out smart them.

This is what we call a grouper, they are nowadays only a deep water species (100m+), although historically they were caught in the shallows. Have only targeted them a couple of times. I never weighed him but the skipper estimated he weighed around 25lb but I reckon it looks smaller then that.

A Sevengiller shark, this is quite a small one. They easily get over 100lb. I target them off the beaches over Summer. Normally expect to catch 4-5 sharks about that size over a typical high tide when conditions are right.

A kingfish, these guys fight hard and dirty. They can grow over 100lb but this guy was only around 24lb.

The Snapper, hard fighting and wary fish. Took me several years to figure out the secret to consistently catch them. The large guys are even harder to catch consistently. From memory the fish in the photo would weigh just under 20lb, my PB is in the low 20's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum and thank for sharing pics!

Regards
Arish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

welcome to the forum... nice variety, thanks for sharing the pics !

cheers ... samit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:40 pm 

The secret for NZ snapper, at least where I target them is to head out to a nice point with a good reef. Arrive just before sunset (When the sun sinks beneath the hills is when the fish start to feed). I fish whole Sardines or Anchovies and no sinker (let the bait float gently in the water column). Sometimes they would take the bait almost immediately, other times I have fished late into the night and not even a nibble. I can not guarantee success, but more often then not I leave satisfied. Locally large Snapper over 20lb are considered a trophy fish which many consider a once in a lifetime achievement. This past Season I landed three, and got several more over the highly regarded 10lb mark.

I think the main difference is I am prepared to fish at night (most fish the warmth of the day when the fish are inactive), Quite often I would arrive at a spot to see others packing up. Through trail and error, sheer determination and asking the right questions I have been able to track down half a dozen very nice spots. I either fish from the shore or from a Kayak, both have no engine noise and allow me to fish much more stealthy close to shore. I know a few boat anglers who are also very successful, but they use a different tactic. They get on the water very early in the morning, then arrive at their spot two hours before sunrise and they use a lot of burley (say 20kgs+) and get a massive scent trail going... Then slowly the large fish would get attracted into the scent trail and they slowly grow in confidence. These guys are often retrieving their boat from the water when most others are launching for the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:54 pm