->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:48 pm 

Wondering if anyone has any experiences, will be at Marina Dourada in Feb ( 4th time) have fished the 2 lakes at the hotel and also the river running alongside the hotel with mixed results( a few barracuda, 1 barramundi and a few small ones i am not sure of from the lakes) usually small catfish from the river The last 2 years there have been fewer catches among all the guys who fish there, i have tried Turtle beach (small cats) but i think with the right know how & a bit of info it could be promising, went out in a boat with a young local but i think he was just happy for the rupees so if anyone has any good contacts or ideas were i could try this time i would be more than grateful ...
many thanks KEITH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum. Drop a mail to our member Dean Gonsalves, i'm sure he will be able to help out with fishing in Goa. His email ID can be found by clicking on the members button on the top left of the index page.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keith, you will struggle to catch anything worthwhile from the beaches in Goa. Especially North Goa. They have been plundered by inshore trawlers pretty mercilessly.
There are good fish to be caught, but it's mainly monsoon time. Best bet, as you have already discovered, is to fish the river estuaries.
Interesting that you have caught in those lakes, I might have to drop in on my way back from malvalli next April.

Welcome to the forum,
Steve

Post subject: fishing in Goa
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:51 pm 

Thanks for the quick replies, while at Marina Dourada last year i caught a fish from the lake that i only thought you would catch in Australia, it was what the Aussies call a Flathead ( i am a 100% certain because i have cuaght many while visiting family in Oz) are they known by another name in India? it's just that none of the lads there had ever seen one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi keith,

What you caught was the flat head alright. The yellow tailed flat head. Grows to about a foot long on our west coast. I hear they reach a Meter Down Under. All the local names translate to " Lizard Fish " .

Tight Lines,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Keith - Welcome aboard..

I see this forum is getting pretty rich, Bops.. We have a Sheikh among us.. Welcome aboard Jeen and tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:43 am 
Fishaholic

Bartail flathead are found in India including Goa. A mate had one at night on a lure that weighed about a kilo but the grow much bigger.
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Species ... php?id=950