->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:46 pm 

Hello fellow piscators,

My name is Jason and I'm from the West of England. I enjoy all types of angling with rod and line and will fish for anything anywhere, hence my choice of nickname - ditchfisher. My only requirement is that the fish I target must be wild.

I'm currently planning a trip to Western Nepal, hoping to hit the Karnali river at some point in the spring, primarily to fish for Mahseer and Goonch but happy to take whatever comes along.

I've been browsing the forum for a little while trying to gather information
and I'm very impressed with the manner in which you all conduct yourselves - civility is a great rarity on British angling forums!

I hope I'll be able to make some contribution in the future and that I may, perhaps, have some photographs to show you all later in the spring. Time will tell!

Best Fishes,
Jason

Last edited by ditchfisher on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:25 pm 
Fishaholic

hello jason!!!!!!!!

welcome aboard ....best of luck for your trip.

cheers
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jason,

Most welcome and wish you a great fishing time ahead.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome Aboard Jason..

Share some of your fishing experience. Would love to read it.

Cheers,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 am 

Hiya Jason

Great to see you on board and active

Off to a big ditch with some Very wild fishes ... photos will surely follow..

Rich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome to IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:15 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jason the Ditchfisher,

Am sure you will love it here.
Waiting for the photos.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

Howdy mate.

Spring you say, eh! That's the time I will be heading upstream after a long hibernation. Get in touch once it gets warmer and let's figure out the best way to find those monsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mate,

Welcome to the Indian fishing circle.

Hope your visit to Nepal, in search of Mahseer and Goonch will be a success. Personally I will not bother with Goonch, but after the much hyped documentary of Jeremy Wade, I think this fish is some kind of celebrity. Though I will go to any extent to target the tiger of our waters, The Mahseer.

In case you are around Mumbai, give me a buzz and we can do some carping together.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 am 

A great many thanks to you all for such a warm welcome, it is appreciated.
Quote:
Share some of your fishing experience. Would love to read it

Where do I start?! I've been fishing since I was 6 or 7 years old, worming for anything that inhabited my local pools and streams - trout, perch, roach, pike and eels being typical captures. On holiday I would fish for mackerel from my Uncles' boat or bass fom the beach and when I was without a rod and line I'd be rock pooling or turning stones in streams, constantly searching, some might say obsessed!

I'm fortunate enough, from an angling perspective, to live within a few miles of a great many lakes and the headwaters of one of Englands most famous rivers - The Thames, liquid history some call it.
As soon as I was old enough to be left to my own devices my parents would drop me off at the lakes to fish. I would spend the entire school summer holidays fishing for tench and in the winter I would have them take me to the rivers to catch chub, roach and the pike.
I carried on happily fishing away for years until at some point in my twenties I was struck with Carp Fever. This affliction narrows your mind and eats away at you until you can think of nothing but Carp! Every spare moment (and some not so spare moments!) was spent in pursuit of these creatures. Vast amounts of money disappeared on tackle and bait, not to mention the fuel costs and wear and tear on both vehicles and relationships. I survived though and even caught a few along the way!

It was during my time as a bank tramp (read carp angler!) that a picture appeared on my local tackle shop wall. There was a man, upto his waist in the water, straining to hold an enormous fish. To me it looked like a cross between a barbel and a carp. It was, of course, a Mahseer and the elation on the captors face was plain to see. A seed was sown.

Once the Carp Fever began to subside, my attentions turned back towards other species of fish and I started to travel further afield, looking for new challenges, new places to fish and new beers to drink! Barbel fishing has become a favourite pastime along with fly fishing small streams and rivers for brown trout. I still fish my local pools, funnily enough mainly for perch, roach and tench and I still fish my local streams for the brown trout, but I tend to steer clear of the busy carp stocked waters now.

I like to read a lot, and I have quite a collection of angling literature. Books on carp, books on pike, books on salmon, books on just about all sorts of fishing in the UK along with some describing angling opportunities overseas. One book I own stands out from the others - Somewhere down the Crazy River by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade, maybe you've heard of it?!!
It has made me long to fish the Mahseer rivers. I long for the sights, the sounds, the smells and I long to feel the power of the fish themselves.
Until fairly recently I had suppressed this urge, believing it was just a pipe dream, unattainable and beyond my capabilities.
Then, one sultry afternoon last summer, a friend and I were led by our thirst to a small Beer Festival at a nearby pub. The ale was bright and refreshing and we stood outside marvelling at the beauty of the cotswolds in full summer leaf. Someone I recognised came into view, it was the man from the picture, the one with the Mahseer. I knew his name, we have many mutual friends. The beer gave me confidence and, quickly I struck up a conversation about fishing which immediately turned to Mahseer. By the time we stopped talking it was dark and an expedition to Nepal was now in the planning stages. Game on, as they say!
Since then dark nights have been spent around pub fires, planning, talking, testing rods and reels, examining spoons and plugs, ensuring we leave nothing to chance. There's not long to go now, the excitment is building.

Quote:

With your guidance Rich, I have no doubt about that! Perhaps we can get a new one of you for the tackle shop wall..

Post subject: Welcome aboard
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 pm 
Enlightened

Awesome mate,

Welcome to the forum.All the best for your nepal trip.

Your story made me think of my childhood andd the years followed. If you come to south india where we have the tigers of water (Mahaseer) do get in touch and we can plan for some thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

ditchfisher wrote:
Where do I start?! I've been fishing since I was 6 or 7 years old, worming for anything that inhabited my local pools and streams - trout, perch, roach, pike and eels being typical captures. On holiday I would fish for mackerel from my Uncles' boat or bass fom the beach and when I was without a rod and line I'd be rock pooling or turning stones in streams, constantly searching, some might say obsessed!

I'm fortunate enough, from an angling perspective, to live within a few miles of a great many lakes and the headwaters of one of Englands most famous rivers - The Thames, liquid history some call it.
As soon as I was old enough to be left to my own devices my parents would drop me off at the lakes to fish. I would spend the entire school summer holidays fishing for tench and in the winter I would have them take me to the rivers to catch chub, roach and the pike.
I carried on happily fishing away for years until at some point in my twenties I was struck with Carp Fever. This affliction narrows your mind and eats away at you until you can think of nothing but Carp! Every spare moment (and some not so spare moments!) was spent in pursuit of these creatures. Vast amounts of money disappeared on tackle and bait, not to mention the fuel costs and wear and tear on both vehicles and relationships. I survived though and even caught a few along the way!

It was during my time as a bank tramp (read carp angler!) that a picture appeared on my local tackle shop wall. There was a man, upto his waist in the water, straining to hold an enormous fish. To me it looked like a cross between a barbel and a carp. It was, of course, a Mahseer and the elation on the captors face was plain to see. A seed was sown.

Once the Carp Fever began to subside, my attentions turned back towards other species of fish and I started to travel further afield, looking for new challenges, new places to fish and new beers to drink! Barbel fishing has become a favourite pastime along with fly fishing small streams and rivers for brown trout. I still fish my local pools, funnily enough mainly for perch, roach and tench and I still fish my local streams for the brown trout, but I tend to steer clear of the busy carp stocked waters now.

I like to read a lot, and I have quite a collection of angling literature. Books on carp, books on pike, books on salmon, books on just about all sorts of fishing in the UK along with some describing angling opportunities overseas. One book I own stands out from the others - Somewhere down the Crazy River by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade, maybe you've heard of it?!!
It has made me long to fish the Mahseer rivers. I long for the sights, the sounds, the smells and I long to feel the power of the fish themselves.
Until fairly recently I had suppressed this urge, believing it was just a pipe dream, unattainable and beyond my capabilities.
Then, one sultry afternoon last summer, a friend and I were led by our thirst to a small Beer Festival at a nearby pub. The ale was bright and refreshing and we stood outside marvelling at the beauty of the cotswolds in full summer leaf. Someone I recognised came into view, it was the man from the picture, the one with the Mahseer. I knew his name, we have many mutual friends. The beer gave me confidence and, quickly I struck up a conversation about fishing which immediately turned to Mahseer. By the time we stopped talking it was dark and an expedition to Nepal was now in the planning stages. Game on, as they say!
Since then dark nights have been spent around pub fires, planning, talking, testing rods and reels, examining spoons and plugs, ensuring we leave nothing to chance. There's not long to go now, the excitment is building.

Quote:

With your guidance Rich, I have no doubt about that! Perhaps we can get a new one of you for the tackle shop wall..

Looks like a great story in making. Keep on posting.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject: Hi Jason
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:52 pm 

Hi Jason, i too am new to this website so hi from sunny Suffolk! Your introduction also reminds me of my childhood fishing the lakes and rivers around me for anything that would take a bait, Carp, Pike, roach, tench and anything else that had fins! I was just your average young lad in fishing heaven.

When i was about ten years old i was given a book for my birthday about big game fishing! I remember turning the first page to see a massive fish called a blue marlin, i read this book from cover to cover until it fell apart, And along with you the seed was sown and the dream begun, i new at that point even if it took a lifetime i was on a mission to catch this fish and others in the book and my life changed forever.

My quest has taken me to some of the most stunning places in the world for Tarpon, Marlin ( I have hooked and lost 2 ) Dorado, Shark, And Tuna.

In a months time i will be leaving for India to fish for the "mighty Mahseer" my ultimate River fishing dream! i cant wait to see the beauty of India and its people and to stand on the banks of the mighty Caulvery River.

I hope you have a Wonderful trip to Nepal and i hope you get your fish.

Tight lines Lee

"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jason,

Welcome to IA. That was a pretty good intro & write up. Surely stirs up ones inner sense & make us long to hit the waters.

Hope you have a great trip & manage to land the fish of your dreams.

best regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:32 pm 
Fishaholic

thats a cool introduction, may 2011 bring your dreams to maturity. happy fishing and welcome to this patr of the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi ditchfisher
Lovely ! it was a pleasure to read..almost a literature rich in language and emotions coming live ..a live bait for the anglers.