->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Thuchhi Che' !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 pm 

That's 'thank you' in Sherpa.

Hi Everyone !

I live in buddha country and my love for angling runs as deep as the waters here. Searched the world for good angling tips and finally found the masters. Google jindabaad. Am hooked.

Looking forward to the enlightenment !

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey YYY,

Good to have someone from your neck of the woods on the forum. There's some amazing water for Mahseer in Nepal. Looking forward to seeing some pictures and reading some stories of your angling exploits from the Roof of the World.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Terry.

Tight lines always!
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:28 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Y3,, Welcome to the IA... Looking forward to your updates on angling from your part of the world..

Tight lines mate..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Like they all say wellcome to the nut house Y3

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:52 am 

Bops, Mighty, Gavin & Fred, Thank you guys. Am glad to be here.

A fishing chum and colleague of mine will be joining the forum asap. He's thrilled to know you exist !

Mahseer is the final destination for us here - and we've only just begun. We've scouted a few areas (along the Marshyangdi, Trishuli and Seti rivers between Kathmandu & Pokhara) for info on Mahseer and all the stories I hear are thrilling. I met a bloke who had hooked a 20kg fish (he called it "Sahar" and it looked like Mahseer to me). He was fishing off a boat using lures in the lake in Pokhara. We spent an evening casting in the lake - used a rather nice looking frog lure - but no luck. We did see a whopper flopping around lazily though. The best mahseer seems to be caught in the Bardia region of Nepal - with heavy maoist activity it's not safe to travel there now.

Yesterday we were lucky to have an industrial strike here so we decided to go check out this lake south of the valley. The place is famous for snakeheads (channids) and catfish. Interesting stories of catches upto 35Kg. And we did see evidence of large fish movement in the water. We will be making a trip during the diwali hols and hope to be able to come back with a few pics worth your interest and time.

As far as our input to your forum is concerned, we can do our best to provide you with local info and help you organise a fishing trip in Nepal. I've lived in this country for over a decade and I can help you out with the local inputs.

In the meanwhile, any tips on what kind of bait works best for catfish ?

Post subject: Nepal mahseer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear YYY,

Any khabar of goonch in the waters?
I've fished the Karnali a couple of times and my dad even more.
Is it true the confluences of the Seti and Bheri are netted and dynamited?
Is it true the Girwa still has stocks of Assam Kingfish (Semiplotus cyprinion)? And where do you get permits for fishing Chisapani/Bardia area?

Dherai dhanyabad!
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:23 pm 

Hi Vedan,

Been reading your posts - mesmerising. Have a buddy hooked on fly and I'm sure he'll be intrigued by your advice on nymphs and flyspoons.

Some As to your Qs -

An 80Kg Goonch was caught on the Trishuli near Galchhi in May - I met the old man who hooked it. He took us to the stretch - clear green deep fast flowing water. We had no luck though.

Given my experiences along the rivers in central Nepal, I've been told that most rivers expecially confluences are electrocuted, dynamited and netted - with the maoists running a parallel government locals give a toss about fishing laws.

No idea about the Girwa, Chispani and Bardia. Western Nepal has been out of bounds for quite some time given the political situation - but thankfully, things are much better now.

About the permits I can find out from the tourism board and let you know.

Cheers,

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Terry.

Wil be a pleasure meeting your flyfishing friend anytime.

And a BBC team was in India 3 years ago, looking for goonch. Some scientist in Chandigarh told them they don't grow over 40lbs (hohoho). I wish I could have sent them the photo of this estimated 150kg goonch from this beautiful pahari river. Will try to park the photo...
They were here again last month, looking for fish in the Ganges system, especially goonch. Yes, they got one. 31lbs, deadbait.

Thanks for khabar on permits- do you think maybe the Maoists can be turned on to Conservation in the name of getting them an Ecofriendly image? I'm sure they could do with support from wildlife organisations.
Way I see it, if there's fish in their waters, they can gain a livelihood...

Post subject: commie conservationists
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:39 pm 

About turning the Maoists into conservationists...

Up here in Kathmandu valley there are 2 natural lakes and one man-made one. The man-made one has been around for centuries and opens for fishing once a year. One of the natural lakes which is teeming with fish - mostly carp - has a myth attached to it and is therefore impossible to fish.

The other natural lake - despite being steeped in myth - was open to fishing. The lake had snakeheads and carp and god knows what else. It was never netted and the fish flourished. No one but a handful of ex-british gurkhas fished the lake. They never used anything but lures and stories abound of their catches above 50lbs. The locals sat and watched as fish bigger than they could imagine were being hauled out from before their eyes. And they got nothing out of it. Week after week this happened and they sat and watched in impotence. Tada ! Enter the maoists.

One fine weekend we land up at our favourite spot only to be told that the lake is closed to fishing. We met the maoists and figured out why.

Shared a cup of tea with them and had a chit chat. The good thing that transpired from it was knowledge that they are open to idea of angling as a form of tourism and were quite interested in knowing how that lake could be converted into an eco-friendly money-spinner. I've given them a few tips and am in touch with them ... hope to see some results by spring next year.

The point is this - if a little commonsense and chai works with militia around a lake, it will sure as hell work with them along a mahseer-filled river !

Your turn now to get in touch with commies on the western front - the next time you're there !

Cheers,

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for corroborating precisely what we've been doing out in Saryu valley (oops!)

Am heading your way first chance I get after April, not for the fishing (actually, yes, but...) but for a good recce and feely for a Trans Himalayan Mahseer Conservation Programme.
Gladdens me old heart to know that a cup of chai and meaningful conversation can open doors otherwise shut to "Government Orders" etc.

Let me know if you need promo material, etc. We'e got some stuff that needs translation into Gorkhali but should be alright since most Nepalis are employed in the outdoors anyway.

Ta again,

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Terry,

Which lakes do you talk about? Rara and Phewa?
For more info and to earn yourself a mahseer guru (for the science of it) see if you can meet up with Dr Tej Kumar Shreshtha, Tribhuvan Univ, KTM.
He's done much work on Nepal mahseer and could point you in scientifically correct directions, if he's still around. I have a couple of books, the photos are mad. Oh yes, you'll also get a lowdown on species and possible quantities of fish.

Cheers,
V.