->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:20 am 
Fishaholic

hi there...
intro...went fly fishing in the kashmir basin in the 80's with my dad....now doing it on my own....crazily...in the himalayan basins that still allow brown trout to breed and grow...looking for like minded ppl....catch and release trout fishing trips....long weekends....based from delhi......pls contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm 
Fishaholic

hey,

welcome to IA..

lottsa guys in delhi..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks...went to corbett last weekend with a bunch of friends. took my fly/spin rods in case i found some fishing action( first trip to corbett so didn't really know what to expect). found a "guide" who took me upto Marchula up the ramganga to some big pools with mahaseer in it. I saw them, crystal clear still water...threw in EVERYTHING and more from my flybox at them....no takes...not even a nod. not one bite in 4 maybe 5 hours. in contrast i caught maybe 7 or so trout on the tirthan on the last fishing season weekend. very intrigued how to lure mahaseer with the fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Welcome to the forum,

The Idea of targeting mahseer is tried several time by many anglers with some success at the end. My understanding of fly fishing is very limited but knowing the fish, mahseer will never take a fly if the water is very clear. Why do you not try some trout fishing in upper Himanchal..

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:42 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks...i do fish trout in himachal. i'm very curious now about mahaseer as well. Sighting a fish that doesn't take the hook gets my mental cogs working overtime..."must outwit that pea sized brain"...im sure its some defective hunter-gatherer gene-instinct thingie thats managed to stay active inspite of urban living for the past 3-4 generations :) i've been fishing solo upto now , about a year now, so now reaching out to "community" for tips, trades and best of all stories. cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

bobbychyma wrote:
thanks...i do fish trout in himachal. i'm very curious now about mahaseer as well. Sighting a fish that doesn't take the hook gets my mental cogs working overtime..."must outwit that pea sized brain"...im sure its some defective hunter-gatherer gene-instinct thingie thats managed to stay active inspite of urban living for the past 3-4 generations :) i've been fishing solo upto now , about a year now, so now reaching out to "community" for tips, trades and best of all stories. cheers.

Dont think that outwitting that pea size brain is so simple. :twisted:

I would love to share a story with you guys about the pea size brain of these fishes. This story was narrated to me by on of a prominent angler from Delhi and later on I did experience the same but on a different venue.

Near the famous Renuka ji lake (Near Nahan, Himanchal), there is a dam some 5-6 km downstream of river Gir and if you stand on the pair of the dam, you will see many Mahseer close by. If you throw small dough balls, the Mahseer down will fight like mad to swallow it. You go on doing it for hours and they will just go on feeding. Now take a hook and tie it with the thinnest of line and put the same dough ball on it. Throw it as you were throwing the other dough ball and all the Mahseer will vanish like ghost. :!: :!: . Now take out the line and again start throwing dough balls. After some time you will see a Mahseer appearing beside the ball. This fish will not take the ball of dough but circle the falling ball up to the bottom and then take it. And if you throw the next ball, all the mahseer will appear again and start taking it as soon as it hit the water. :!: :roll: :roll:.

I had also experianced the same near tajewala Barrage. :o :o

Pea size Brain... :wink: Indeed.. :twisted:

Best of luck for your future fishing... :lol:

Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:22 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for your story, must say it did reinforce the irony in my statement...grown men trying to outwit fish...since time immemorial.
cheers
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:40 pm 
Enlightened

Spot on Ali Bhai! These Mahaseer and others are very intelligent fish indeed. I see them laughing at us in clear water be it Bhimtaal, Marchula, Neugal or Kosi.... Welcome to IA
angler_ali wrote:
bobbychyma wrote:

Dont think that outwitting that pea size brain is so simple. :twisted:

I would love to share a story with you guys about the pea size brain of these fishes. This story was narrated to me by on of a prominent angler from Delhi and later on I did experience the same but on a different venue.

Near the famous Renuka ji lake (Near Nahan, Himanchal), there is a dam some 5-6 km downstream of river Gir and if you stand on the pair of the dam, you will see many Mahseer close by. If you throw small dough balls, the Mahseer down will fight like mad to swallow it. You go on doing it for hours and they will just go on feeding. Now take a hook and tie it with the thinnest of line and put the same dough ball on it. Throw it as you were throwing the other dough ball and all the Mahseer will vanish like ghost. :!: :!: . Now take out the line and again start throwing dough balls. After some time you will see a Mahseer appearing beside the ball. This fish will not take the ball of dough but circle the falling ball up to the bottom and then take it. And if you throw the next ball, all the mahseer will appear again and start taking it as soon as it hit the water. :!: :roll: :roll:.

I had also experianced the same near tajewala Barrage. :o :o

Pea size Brain... :wink: Indeed.. :twisted:

Best of luck for your future fishing... :lol:

Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 am 
Fishaholic

bobbychyma wrote:

Thank god its just a Pea size Brain...if it would have been any Bigger 8) ...then we' would hve been just Dreaming of Catching them :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:29 am 
Fishaholic

viper wrote:
bobbychyma wrote:

Thank god its just a Pea size Brain...if it would have been any Bigger 8) ...then we' would hve been just Dreaming of Catching them :?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 am 

Hi bobby i am from delhi. let me knw a place in del frm whr i can pick up eqipment.

bobbychyma wrote:
hi there...
intro...went fly fishing in the kashmir basin in the 80's with my dad....now doing it on my own....crazily...in the himalayan basins that still allow brown trout to breed and grow...looking for like minded ppl....catch and release trout fishing trips....long weekends....based from delhi......pls contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

EDITED.

We have to stop promoting other commercial enterprises on this site. Please, Bops runs this and we get to enjoy it for free. If you have any info to pass on send a PM.

Cheers

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:29 pm 

Hi Bobby,

Guess you got me wrong. Since i am new to the sport just wanted to see & learn about the procducts before buying. I already had a chat with Bops sometime back about the equipment and can only finalize once i know what to buy.

Rgds,

bobbychyma wrote:
EDITED.

We have to stop promoting other commercial enterprises on this site. Please, Bops runs this and we get to enjoy it for free. If you have any info to pass on send a PM.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry to cause a bit of confusion. The post was edited by me. I should have signed off.