->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing spots in Mumbai
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 pm 

Greetings to all members.

My name is Ashwyn, based in Mumbai. While I have been fishing for the last 15 years (principally Mahasher fishing in Kumaon and Garwhal Hills and lake fishing), I have very limited experience in sea fishing. Very keen to start sea fishing in Mumbai. Would welcome any suggestion on locations in Mumbai to get started, recently got a Shakerspear surf caster from a recent trip to Singapore and itching to try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome aboard Ashwyn,

I doubt whether there is any surf Fishing around Mumbai as the water is too polluted.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwyn,

Welcome to IA

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Bro

Welcome to the Club..... :D

There are plenty of experienced anglers from mumbai who would guide u in the right direction for learning sea fishing :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 am 
Fishaholic

Howdy mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome mate.

Regards, :D

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:04 pm 

Guys, thanks for your replies and welcoming me aboard. Feels like home.

Arun's reply was rather disheartening, but I was under the impression that there were some spots off Bandra and Napean Sea Road (near the Russian Consulate).

Heading out for a exloratory fishing trip this week to Manori (will try my luck at the creek).

Will get back to you guys with a full report for you guys. However, if any of you feel that there are other better spots, please feel free to give your suggestions.

P.S. Have any of you heard of a place called Tarkali, I've read that indo-pacific tarpons could be found in the Karli river which meets the sea at this place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm 
Fishaholic

ashwyn wrote:
P.S. Have any of you heard of a place called Tarkali, I've read that indo-pacific tarpons could be found in the Karli river which meets the sea at this place.

Go out on the reef and you will know what sea fishing is.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum...

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
ashwyn wrote:

Go out on the reef and you will know what sea fishing is.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Santosh

Thats Santosh's fishing haunt :lol:

Welcome to IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwin,

Do not let anyone’s reply put you off, Bombay is an amazing place for sea-fishing. Yes we do not get Ravas like we used to but the other fish are still there, the nets are a major deterrent however you need to poke around the place and find your own haunts and then keep quiet about them or the place will be ruined with nets the very next day and all your hard work goes down the toilet.

Bombay guys tend to hang-out at places with traditional reputation and the netters know about that as well so those places are always netted, most of the guys there do not have the time or INCLINATION to go and look for new spots and by hitting a good looking spot once and not catching or getting hit does not mean that the spot is bad. How many times have we gone to a reputed spot on a perceived good day/time and got nothing. So if you think a place looks promising hit it a few times before you write it off, if you are a lure fisherman, use lures of varying sizes, take of the leader and clip when using smaller lures and try using mono during this phase.

Besides this, guys from Bombay want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and prefer fishing at some more exotic, laid back locations, I do too. But then I do not live in Bombay, but there is not one single time I have come to Bombay and not fished there and gone empty handed.

Hope this helps.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

What you say is very true, but not everyone here in Mumbai is same. Guys are catching fish at the so called traditional places, but what i have seen and experienced at these spots is enough for me to stay away. For some fishing is not only about fish, for me the location is as much important.

The feeling of being alone, spending the night on a untouched beach, wildlife, the list is fairly long ... I don’t think one would get to experience all this in amchi Mumbai.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:23 am 
Fishaholic

welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:05 pm 

Thanks for the replies (and to Bobby and Santosh). Sport fishing is what you make of it. For me, the whine of the reel under a hard run by a strong fish (at times, which makes the lubricating oil in the reel to start smoking), the rod bending under the weight, the feeling that your arms are going to pulled out of your body, and finally, laying your eyes on the fish when you've earned it thorugh a hard and skillful fight, is just about the most addictive thing I have ever come across. Thats what rocks my boat (and of course, the location really makes a big difference to the overall experience)

Could I just throw one more question to you guys: Most of my fishing has been on plugs and spoons and thats what I intend using for the sea as well (planning on trying a couple of spinners and plugs which have always worked on Mahasher). Is this a good idea or given the sediments and poor visibility in the sea around Mumbai, I am better off using dead/live bait. If bait it is, which bait fish is popular with you guys.

And could anyone give me diretions to a shop/place in Mumbai where I can get some lures (the ones with me have only been tried in fresh water and might be small for sea fishing).

On a related note, I was in Andaman Islands last December and hooked a whopper of a GT while popping off No.7 beach at Havelock, and thats when I went rabid about sea fishing (I havent been able to figure out how to imbed the image in this post, will upload the picture on a public site and post the link here instead). Does popping as a technique work in the seas of Mumbai? And if it does, where can I get the necessary lures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ashwyn,

You can use plugs & spoons around Mumbai with good results. The water gets clear once the monsoon is over.

Many of us prefer to use lures (including me) and find spinning from rocks more challenging form of saltwater angling. However, surf fishing with bait can be as much fun and more rewarding if you chose your spot correctly and are doing the right thing.

Poppers will work in Mumbai and you can target fish like Ravas & Barras. Quality Poppers won’t be available in Mumbai, you might get one if you are lucky (I got one sashimi bull by Yuzuri in Mumbai at half the price).

I am sure IA shop will have some poppers. Send a PM to Bops for lures & poppers.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:08 pm 

Thanks a lot Santosh for your reply. As suggested, have sent a PM to IA.

Aren't there any tackle shops in Mumbai. I'm assuming no, in which case, where is the closest tackle shop to Mumbai (Goa???)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

There are a few tackle shops in Mumbai and we do buy small stuff from them. Most of them will sell you cheap Chinese rods and reels. Can't help with the details as its against the forum rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashwyn,

Welcome to the forum and happy fishing.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm 

Tried spinning at Bandstand over the weekend (Behind sea rock). Tried casting around for about 2 hours (with some Rapala magnums and spinners) and not a single bite. This was something which I was expecting cause: (i) water is still too murky, and (ii) complete lack of knowledge about the area and fish. I was also quite suprised to see the amount of floatsam/jetsam around (plastic bags, diposed napkins, strings of flowers, etc.).

No getting bites was OK (and it's not disappointing any more), but what really got up my nose was the circus which built up behind me. I am not kidding, at least a 50 people standing behind me, and some folks who couldnt figure out that I was fishing intially and walked up to me to ask what I was doing, were ready with advice within 10 minutes (suggestions like "whose ever heard of fish taking plastic lures, try chicken guts, mutton, etc.", some guy even claimed to have read an article that there are no fish within 1 km from the bombay shoreline, they've all died off due to the pollutants). I was quite enjoying the outing but the crowd and their constant jibbering just got to me and called it a day.

Anyway, have managed to get some information on another good fishing spot in town, off the governor's bungalow. The assurance is that even if the fish wont bite (which I have been told is very unlikely) there will be no spectators. Will check this spot out next weekend and will report back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:10 pm 

Alternatively, if any of you guys are going out fishing some time soon, I would love to tag along with some of you experienced folks. Hope to get invited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello, Ashwyn,

I used to go behind Governer's House way back in 1960s and 1970s. The spot was excellent and the Threadfins (Rawas) were seen feeding always. I was a novice that time but the other seasoned Anglers used to catch good size Rawas often there.

I stopped going there when a Police Constable pointed his o.303 Rifle at me from Governer's House Lawns, which lies just behind the Rocks! He warned me that if I do not leave the place, he would shoot me!

This was when Mumbai was a very peaceful City and without any Extremists visiting the city from Sea Front. so I do not know how would the Police digest presence of any one just behind Governer's House on Rocks!

So, My sincere advice to you is be careful about the cops.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 am 

Arun, thanks for the advice. Will keep this in mind. Will try and get some kind of permission from the cops, just to be on the safe side (I believe permission is given for some places away from the bungalow and near the entry gate, just where the rocks start, and if you promise to give them a fish on your way back).

If no permission, no fishing (not crazy enough to be shot for it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:21 am 
Fishaholic

Ashwyn,

Wish you Best of Luck and Tight Lines.

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 am 
Fishaholic

Indians love to give advice and you will find pleanty at Landsend advising you how to fish especially if you are the one with a rod and REEL.

In their eyes you are a choice idot trying to catch a fish with metal and plastic. Just tell them you are from the envoirnment agency trying to rid the sea of all the plastic bags etc when they ask what you are doing there. :lol: :lol: :lol: give them a lecture on littering etc and very soon they will leave. :lol: :lol: :lol: or better yet ask them for money.