->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: hi.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:42 am 

hi
i'm from chennai. i,m a beginner and could use some help to choose saltwater tackle.
can i get rods'n' reels in chennai. if so , where can i get them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Marthanandan,
I am a beginner too when it comes to Salt water fishing. :roll:
We do remain leaners all our life too, so don't be bashful about it mate.
Welcome to the forum.
Regarding any kind of fishing tackle, this country is a bummer. However send Mighty Marlin or Bobby or Fred a PM as they will know something about what you will need.
I do know a couple of friends with brand new sea faring rods and reels lying around, that they will never use. But first find out what will be required for the kind of fishing that you are interested in.
If you still need help buzz me. :wink:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Marthanandan,

Welcome to the Forum, sorry mate I dont know of any Tackle Shops in Chenai or of any one who has any tackle for sale.

Perhaps someone who has may contact you through the Forum, there may be some Rods/Reels available in Bombay.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi

I will check out in mumbai and let u know ,, wellcome to the forum ... just a question will u be spinning or fishing from a boat

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
just a question will u be spinning or fishing from a boat

Forgive my ignorance but don't you salty's spin from a boat? Besides trolling what are the other methods employed?

Welcome aboard Marthandan.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:31 pm 

i plan to surfcast as well as troll from the boat.
would like to get tackle for both.
any suggestions?
regards,
marthandan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi marthandan,

For your surfcasting needs you'll have to find yourself a 10+ foot surf rod. There are many available abroad and I guess you'll have to choose one according to the budget you have. A matching surf reel would be good. Since you say you're new to the sport, avoid a multiplier for the time being.
If you're trolling in Chennai most of your strikes will be from mackerel. A 20lb class trolling rod and reel would be best. You'll have to buy a set of plugs.... medium to deep diving Halco L160 and L190's. In time you'll have your favourites.
Bobby is the man to ask when it comes to trolling tackle, he has more salt in his blood than me :wink: I'm sure he'll see this and suggest a setup you can start with.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Marthandan,

1) Surfcasting - I would suggest a 12ft surfcasting rod

A 10' will also be OK and you would be able to double up as a spinning rod as well becuase of the spacing of the handle.

For Surfcasting I would recommend a good spinning reel to start with, like a Penn SS6500 - SS7500 again you could use that to spin as well.

2) Trolling - You will have to decide what fish you are going after.

I would recommend you going with 30lb gear. A O/H rod and Reel. I would not go in with any top-of the line reels like Penn International and the likes unless you have loads of cash to spend on tackle.

However if you are only going for fish like GT's, Spanish Mackerel, Cobia (even Sails) and you are tight on funds you could then buy a boat rod for a spinning reel and use it with a Penn SS7500.

If you have got a huge budget, then you can have specific tackle for a specific job but if you are tight then:

Penn SS7500 with a spare spool (I would use one spool with 15 - 20 lb mono for my surf casting and spinning needs and the other spool loaded with 30lb fireline or powerpro braid for trolling)

10' surf casting/spinning Rod

6' - 7' Boat Rod

Remember to use wire trace for Mackerel, for others you can use mono trace.

For trolling for above mentioned species use hard lured, of 10" - 12" that dive (depth depending on what fishes best on that day)

Remember with Mackerel your lures will turn out to be a consumable item. There is a guy in Chennai who makes excellent hard lures specifically for Mackerel (they are tougher than most lures available on todays international market). They are really good no need to go for expensive stuff these lures really work. The problem with his lures is the lip which tends to break off but he has been innovative with this and sells spare lips the lips slides into the groove.

I will PM you his details (I have lost his card). He sells these lures to commercial long line fishermen in the south.