->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Pavan from Leon, Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 am 

Hello everyone,

I found this forum quite by accident and was plesantly surprised. I live in Mexico and mostly fish for large mouth bass, cat fish and some carp (carp, when I am hung over, usually).

Equipment I use is mostly bait casting rods of 6'6" and 7" Light, Medium and Medium Heavy with bait casting reels like the Daiwa Millionare and Daiwa Fuego. 7.3:1 and 6.3:1 ratios. I prefer Daiwas to Abu Garcia and Shimano bait casters as the magnet to stop the over spin is a dial and not push pull brake system. I have just ordered a Daiwa Millionare with the 4.9:1 ratio, supposed to be a high torque system.

My rods are Berkley, they are in my opinion the rods wiith the best handle. When fishing from a bass fishing rig, even the slightest chop with rock the boat and you need all your senses to cast well.

I like braided lines of 20Lbs and Florocarbon of 8 & 14 Lbs. I much rather use plastic worms than cranks and jigs. I do not use spoons and spinners at all. I also do not use Monofilament lines at all. My favourite being the Berkley Vanish.

I have all kinds of baits and worms but a few select ones always find their way to the lakes. I use most convenctional and some non convenctional techniques. My favorite being carolina rig, wacky rig, wacky drop shot, texas rig and some other contraptions I have come up with on my own. The most favoured one being the wacky drop shot with a large float, sometimes a plastic coke bottle or a even a large balloon.

I use the palomar and sometime the world fair knots. I hope to be able to try my bass fishing methods in India sometime and see what happens.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I will post some pics of my equipment.

Thanks,

Pavan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Pavan,

Welcome to IA.

Cheers,
Apoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 am 
Fishaholic

pavanmex wrote:
Hello everyone,

I like braided lines of 20Lbs and Florocarbon of 8 & 14 Lbs. I much rather use plastic worms than cranks and jigs. I do not use spoons and spinners at all. I also do not use Monofilament lines at all. My favourite being the Berkley Vanish.

Thanks,

Pavan

Hi Pawan,

welcome to this forum.

One question, you use florocarbon for spinning.. :?:

Regards,

Ali.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
pavanmex wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Pavan

Hi Pawan,

welcome to this forum.

Regards,

Ali.

ah the master is intrigued :D :D :D welcome to forum Pawan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome aboard. Pavan. Your bass methods should work well for Snakehead over here and for mahseer in some places. Give me a shout when you feel like fishing here :-)

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject: florocarbon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:48 pm 

Yes I use florocarbons for spinning also but only the 8lbs line. I have had no problems.

Thanks for the invite.

Regards,

Pavan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the Club Buddy...... :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum.. Do post you pics soon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:47 am 

Thanks everyone. I posted my pictures in the Bait, Tackle and Tactics section. Regards, Pavan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:43 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Pavan,

Welcome to the forun... That's a lot of equipment you have there...

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Pavan,

Welcome to IA.

Santosh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:26 am 

angler_ali wrote:
pavanmex wrote:
Hello everyone,welcome to this forum.

Regards,

Ali.

Please see my detailed reply in the Bait, Tackle and Tactics forum. You will see what line I use and why.

Regards,

Pavan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Hmmmm! Floro for spinning? I think it is a great leader but too stiff to chuck out a lure with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I would not use Fluro for spinning, just yesterday I went over to buy some of this stuff. They had what they claimed to be the softest Fluro in the world, I did not look at the 8lb stuff the the 20lb Fluro was still far to stiff to spin with.

What is the Brand of fluro you use to spin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:58 pm 

Bobby wrote:
I would not use Fluro for spinning, just yesterday I went over to buy some of this stuff. They had what they claimed to be the softest Fluro in the world, I did not look at the 8lb stuff the the 20lb Fluro was still far to stiff to spin with.

What is the Brand of fluro you use to spin?
Good evening,

I use Berkeley (picture in my post above) 8Lbs and sometimes 12lbs. On a 7' Medium action fast tip rod with lures from 1/3 to 1/2 (sometimes almost 1 ounce with sinker and all) without any problems.

I almost always fish from a boat. When fishing from a boat you are not looking for long lasts as you cast parallel to the shore. I also keep the wind behind me. maybe that's why it seems to work fine for me. People I fish with also use fluorocarbon lines on spinning reels. I have also seen flurocarbon lines which are as soft as monofilament. when florocarbon lines initially were introduced they were stiff. But, recent changes in compound has made them acceptably softer.

I also use a swivel with a leader 18 inches long even on worms. To avoid any twisting. Maybe this is what I was missing in the information. I just called my buddy. The 15Lbs line he uses is Seaguar Invizx. He has no problem as long as he uses a swivel.

But, this is fishing. What works for me may not work for you.

I am just thrilled at picking up all the 'desi' tricks on this forum. In the last week I have seen many things which I want to try here.

Regards,

Pavan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:08 am 
Fishaholic

pavanmex wrote:
But, this is fishing. What works for me may not work for you.

Pavan

Very true. I even hate using stiff mono for spinning, far too much 'memory' for me to handle. So for me fluorocarbon as main line while spinning is out of the question. Honestly, I still have to come across Flurocarbon that is as soft as a decent soft Mono. Even the "top of the line" Flurocarbon I checked out the daybefore did not come close to a good mono. I need to take a look at Berkley Vanish, reviews on the net are pretty much mixed.

We get a lot of Japanese Fluro here. I cannot remember the brand they claimed to be the best, but I compared it to Duel HD Soft also new in the market and the difference (as far as softness goes) was almost negligible, the largest difference was in the cost where the Duel was less than half so I picked up 60lb no 14 Duel for Saltwater Spinning Leaders.

I also picked up 160lb Duel Powerpro Shock Leader for leaders for inshore trolling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:21 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome buddy
regards