->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hello, can you help me
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:43 pm 

hi there

my name is chris and im currently looking for any info on mahseer fishing in the north of india, I have recently returned from my 2nd trip this year to the Ramganga, and with great results...1st trip was 4 days i caught 16 fish from 1lb to 35lb, the second was a longer more dedicated trip and i caught only 3 fish 2 small fish of 6lb and one nice fish of 42lb 12oz, so i was very pleased...!

i am now sitting at my computer in england dreaming of the river and planning my next mahseer mission, if anyone out there has any info on good places to fish on the ramganga please share with me as i am certain there are some really big fish up north...ive seen them, but its places where i wasnt made to feel very welcome...showers of rocks every night...well the two i stayed in the place for!! maybe just bad luck, i hope so.

i have been to a place call bikysen....not sure if this is the correct spelling, but this place has seen lots of anglers even to the degree there are films and fishing programmes on tv here in the uk that show people fishing there, so it was of little interest to me because of this...and i found a lot of the other places in the area that i viseted were heavily poached and i was not welcome on many sections of the river, but on other made to feel right at home and had an awsome time.

so you can see my problem, any ideas....?

thanks, hope to hear from some of you soon

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Howdy Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure our members will come with some tips for you.

Sad to hear about the rocks! Carry a super bright flashlight next time and blind the blighters.

Tight lines.
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:16 am 
Fishaholic

Why not plan a trip to Panceshwar for Mahseer, Chris. Choose a right time though. That would be October or March - April. Do a Google search on Pancheshwar for the details "Mahseer Fishing Pancheshwar" and you should get the details. You could do a similar search for Ramganga too "Mahseer Fishing Ramganga" . There a a few good fishing guides / operators on both the rivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:40 pm 

hi ashok

thanks for your tips, i have looked at pancheshwar for fishing and it is a good spot from what i can gather...but again it has a lot of anglig pressure, and i feel that although each year the big fish move through this area, its not the place toget the real special days fishing, maybe its just me, but to go and fish somewhere that is on a plate is not for me...i love a challenge,

but what i know of the north is you get on chance each day at the big one...and if you fluff that your gone, i have caught two good sized fish now, and both of theese were on the first cast of the morning, and each time it was the last day of my trip....now i think if i had not fished for the first few days and just walked and closely watched the fish my cath might have been better....but the fish almost tease you in the shallow crystal waters below, as they twist and turn in the bright sunlight, and you get the most amazing colours when they tightly shoal together, like a giant golden carpet thay covers the bottom of the river...truley breathtaking.

and this i think is where i go wrong, rather than whatching the moods of the fish and where the biggest fish hang out, its in with the spinner and wollop, a 5lb fish grabs the spinner, but dont get e wrong i love catching small fish but it a bit frustraing some days, when you can see a fish of 5ft and keep hooking fish of 5lb.

a place id did see some very big fish was Harda...this was the first place i visited, a small town on top of a hill, the people there were so cool and i had such a good time, it was like being at home for a short while, but the river below there was a temple with a great old priest "baba" what a great guy, he let me look in the temple pool there and guys , believe me when i say this, im 6ft 3" tall, and the fish in this pool made me look small, and all along the river , it was really fast and pushed its way throught narrow sections 5ft deep and opended up into huge corner pools where you would find 30ft of water, this was ture mahser country and not another angler in sight, not with rod and line anyway. so i think there are some places where the fish are hugh, and people dont go...?

has anyone else ever fish from Harda and then onwards down stream to Juna bridge and then onwards to another small village and then to bikysen
if not it a great piece of river, but make sure there are a few of you, me and my friend had a bit of trouble crossing the river, deeper and faster than we expected...!!!

any ideas on new uncharted venues, just throw some river names in the pot and i will start looking, maybe places on the ganges...?

not sure about the fishing...i know its a holy river and therfore i would not be allowed to fish...not sure.

anyway i will stop ranting now, take care guys and i look forward to hearing from you

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Chris,

You can fish the Ganges but do release the Mahseer and use barbless hooks. Go on, explore and do send me a few tips on the best spots! The fishing belt would be between Rishikesh and upstream upto Devprayag. Do take care of the local sentiments though, there would be places where fishing may not be welcome.