->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

After a lot of pms', request, begging and groveling, a little something for all people new to this wonderful sport:

These are not RULES... just etiquette

1. Pls catch and release. If you want to eat fish, buy it from your local monger. Chances are he is selling farmed fish and not depleting natural stocks.

2. Don't ask for 'spots around x place where to fish'. Most anglers have given an arm and a leg in trying to find, nurture and protect places to keep a dying sport in India alive. Introduce yourself in the intro section and develop a rapport with other anglers. In time, if you are lucky, you'll be invited to tag along. (This seems selfish, but at the end of the day, it is for the betterment of the sport. Less than 4% of the land in India is protected, let alone our rivers and lakes which are in a pathetic state. Hey... we don't know you... for all I know is you are fish contractor looking for a new spot to put your nets in.

3. Give each other space to fish. Most waters which are worth fishing in can only accommodate X number of rods at a time... if others are there before you, pls wait your turn.

4. Do not steal the spot of an angler busy landing a fish. Don’t steal their tackle and gear either.

5. Use tackle heavy enough to control your fish quickly. Pls don’t use 6 lbs line for a 60 lbs fish.

6. When someone near you hooks a fish keep your tackle out of the way: stop fishing.

7. Land your fish quickly so that other anglers can get their gear back in the water.

8. Fish in the same manner as nearby anglers. If others are coarse fishing, don't start spinning in the same place. Move at least 100 yards away.

9. Do not litter: pack out what you pack in, and more. We have enough trash left behind thanks to frito lay and bisleri... don't add anymore.

10. Do not intentionally snag fish! No jhatka please. Use bait or a lure.

11. Be courteous to fellow anglers or they'll curse you.

This list is not exhaustive. Use your head.

Regret any inconvenience caused by the blunt language, mais c'est la vie! Hope you have a wonderful time on the water.

Tight Lines,
IG

Last edited by indiangypsy on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Mate. Needed to be put straight. Especially the 'don't ask for spots near X'.

If I may add one.

If a fellow angler is not around and his line gets a bite, don't touch the rod. Instead shout, scream or blow a whistle and get him to come back fast.

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Nice guidelines mate, disagree with the Catch n Release one though. Farmed fish taste like Shite :lol: and people should not be made to feel guilty to eat what they catch. It should be done sensibly and not be a wanton slaughter. Keeping a good one or two fish for the pot is perfectly acceptable, at the same time one should care for and release the other fish they catch.

I will give you yet another one, Bait fishing kills fish the amount of fish that die from swallowed hooks is not funny but no angler is willing to accept that. Move towards lures when you can guys the chances of a fish fatally swallowing a lure is reduced considerably. I am not saying give up bait fishing but it is food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Bobby, quick as you are to reply to such threads, please note that these rules mostly pertain to freshwater sport fishing. Catch and release is an IA initiative and what you do with respect to saltwater fishing is left to you but kindly do not influence newbies to the sport by airing your anti catch and release opinions.

A note to all members, please support catch and release otherwise you will not have anything to catch in a few years from now.

Cheers
IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,

It is good to have opinionated people on an open forum and it is a good thing that IA is pro release, people should be allowed to air and form their own views and should not be dictated to, discussion about pros and cons are a good thing. I am pro release as well, however people should not be made to feel guilty about not releasing their catch if it is OK, what OK is, is another thing that comes with education. With species like Mahseer a release should be a must so should it be with salt water species like certain Sharks and the Napoleon Wrasse. Education is a key, it is a wrong attitude to adopt that taking fish in salt water is OK but taking fish in freshwater is taboo.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Nice guidelines mate, disagree with the Catch n Release one though. Farmed fish taste like Shite :lol: and people should not be made to feel guilty to eat what they catch. It should be done sensibly and not be a wanton slaughter. Keeping a good one or two fish for the pot is perfectly acceptable, at the same time one should care for and release the other fish they catch.

I will give you yet another one, Bait fishing kills fish the amount of fish that die from swallowed hooks is not funny but no angler is willing to accept that. Move towards lures when you can guys the chances of a fish fatally swallowing a lure is reduced considerably. I am not saying give up bait fishing but it is food for thought.

Hi Bops,

It is good to have opinionated people on an open forum and it is a good thing that IA is pro release, people should be allowed to air and form their own views and should not be dictated to, discussion about pros and cons are a good thing. I am pro release as well, however people should not be made to feel guilty about not releasing their catch if it is OK, what OK is, is another thing that comes with education. With species like Mahseer a release should be a must so should it be with salt water species like certain Sharks and the Napoleon Wrasse. Education is a key, it is a wrong attitude to adopt that taking fish in salt water is OK but taking fish in freshwater is taboo.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Couple of things I’d like to point out to you:

1) 99.9999% of the people can’t tell the difference between wild caught and farmed fish. Its akin to drinking chilled Coke and Fanta. When it’s really chilled, most people can’t tell the difference between the two.
2) Common sense is not that common. Period. Therefore, “….should be done sensibly and not be a wanton slaughter” does not apply. People will kill for the sake of killing. It’s a top-predator-power-trip thing of some sort. Furthermore, the rule is ‘eat what you kill’. What you catch can be thrown back easily after a Kodak moment.
3) Not all fish hooked on lures are hooked clean in the lips. I have documented many a fish copping it because they hastily swallowed the lure. Once your hook is past the operculum, there is not much you can do. Furthermore, it seems you’ve not been coarse fishing much; one doesn’t wait for the fish to crap out your hook from the other end; you have to strike at the right time to set the hook.
4) Taking fish for the pot, be it from a river, lake or the ocean is not acceptable. Unfortunately, legally we can’t stop it just give a cold shoulder to people who do. To add to it, just because the ocean is HUGE, does not mean it’s infinite. It too is a finite source of fish, and fishing in the ocean isn’t what it used to be. You take anything from the ecosystem, be it one fish or two, it upsets the balance wheich we have already screwed up before hand. By the way, is Hong Kong still really a ‘fragrant harbor’? Is that not what the name means?
5) Education does not seem to have helped much, for it is the educated lot who are completely insensitive about momma nature. Having a masters degree in any field does not give a person better civic sense!!!
6) What’s your definition of OK? We all have our own definition. Believe you me, for most people it’s a simple no-one-is-looking-I’ll-get-away-with-it. Nothing works better than peer pressure. You’ve been through your adolescent years, you know what I’m taking about.

Cheers,

IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Hi IG,

Thanks for the reply, before I go further I would like to make one point clear. I would like people reading to realize this is a healthy exchange of views and not a slugfest.

Hong Kong is a place where we get a lot of farmed fish and believe me you can tell the difference. They are loaded with fat so much that they are disgusting at times and there is a considerable difference in the flavour, this is owed to the monotonous diet. Having said this, I have had a few fish on occasions at restraunts that I believe were farmed of the rock cod species and they were quite pleasant. Another problem with certain feeds are the toxins they build in fish, this is an interesting link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3380735.stm and there are several articles like these you can find over the net.

Over here farmed fish are kept in floating pens in the open sea the whole farm is floating structure including the farmers house. It is an ingenious way solve your water circulating issues so that the fishes have a continuous flow of fresh water. You can pay some of these fish farmers who will take you on to these floating farms and you can fish off them on the outside. What is interesting is that these fish farmers prefer to catch the fish outside the pens, wild fish. I asked them why, they say that prefer the taste the wild caught fish and do not eat their own farmed fish.

Yes I do agree with you here “common sense is not common” I have seen a slaughter even in ‘civilized’ Australia (Sydney Harbour), this will only stop with education. However I have also seen anglers who are not on this forum release fish in good old Mumbai. So I would not go the extreme of saying “people will kill for the sake of killing” I am sure this is not what you mean but it comes of as; just a hallowed few over here are the only ones who release and the rest are wanton killers. “What you catch can be thrown back after a Kodak moment” agree absolutely.

About hook-ups – you are right about my coarse fishing experience, slim to none :oops: . I have coarse fished a few times years ago, however I have bait fished enough. Sure, you do occasionally get a fish swallowing a lure too deep, the last Barra I caught got its eye ripped off completely by the hooks at the other end of the lure :( . So I am NOT saying that you are never going to kill a fish by fishing lures, what I am saying is that if you make a comparison between bait fishing and lure fishing you would see there is a considerable difference between fish deep swallowing a bait than a lure. I take my kids to fish in a closed artificial environment where people bait fish a lot and you will be surprised to see the number of dead and dying fish all caught with bait and then released, here you get a true picture of the toll bait fishing takes on fishes, this I have seen with my own eyes. In the wild you do not get to see it as these dead fish are washed away and scavenged. What people don’t see they don’t know and in most cases do not want to know. “Strike at the time is right”, how many of us can honestly claim to do that perfectly or define what the right time is? Fishing programs, Coarse fishing or otherwise almost never show us the bad hooks up. This does not mean to say it never happens. And when they do show a fish with a swallowed hook, they get to the subject of fish crap, saying the fish will pass it through. What are the chances of a fishing hook passing clean through digestive system? Common sense will give us that answer

Hong Kong harbour is a little more ‘fragrant’ than it was a few years ago :lol: they are cleaing it up, they have moved the whole industrial district that was polluting the Harbour to another location. However it was chemical pollution and not over fishing. I have taken and released Sea Bass in the harbour albeit fully loaded with mercury. I reiterate, I have never said kill your saltwater catch, what I have said is apply sensibility to what you take. People need to take into account size and type of the fish caught also take just one or two fish for yourself and not take fish so that you can distribute to your entire neighborhood. If people want to release everything that is even more noble, hats off to guys like you. Forums like this one can, do and should educate people about fish and fishing. You have your views and even though I differ slightly, I respect them. I am NOT asking you or people who want to release all they catch to take a couple of fish for the pot. I think it is great you release your catch.

There is a difference between education and literacy, a person with a doctorate in physics is not necessarily educated in Ichthyology or angling. So you can say, as far as the subject of angling goes an experienced angler who is illiterate is more educated in the field of angling than some who has a PhD in physics and knows nothing about angling. But, perhaps it would be a lot more easy to explain the philosophy or catch and release to the PhD than it would be to the illiterate angler.

My definition of “OK”, I think that my post has gone on long enough, but in a nutshell, OK for me would be, knowing the species of fish I am catching, knowing how rare this species is and if I want to take one home for the pot, it would have to be the right size and species. And when I release my catch I make sure I have cared for the fish and released it properly.

I really think that the key is Education and not pressure. Forcing someone to do something is not the correct approach, but explaining why something should or should not be done is key. Two negatives do not make a positive it makes an even greater negative.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:21 pm 
Fishaholic

indiangypsy wrote:
Hi,

1. Pls catch and release. If you want to eat fish, buy it from your local monger. Chances are he is selling farmed fish and not depleting natural stocks.

2. Don't ask for 'spots around x place where to fish'. Most anglers have given an arm and a leg in trying to find, nurture and protect places to keep a dying sport in India alive.
Regret any inconvenience caused by the blunt language, mais c'est la vie! Hope you have a wonderful time on the water.

Tight Lines,
IG

Nice discussion and frank opinion is what make this forum so interesting. I agree with both Bobby and I.G. except in some area. As I.G. has posted this thread for new anglers, I will contradict him in some points about catch and release as under,
• First learn about the fishes.

• You must know the difference between a game fish and a pest fish.

• NEVER release a pest fish back. It is criminal.(Specially Mangur & Talapia).
Talapia tastes very good and you can always eat it. In case of Mangur (African), do whatever you feel like, even feed it to the dogs but do not release it.

• Never release a fish which does not belong to the local environment.(In case you hook one aquarium fish).

• If you want to take a game fish for pot, never take a female.

• Taking care of the environment and helping in maintaining the habitat where you are fishing is will help much in protecting the fish population.

And if you are a new angler and live in the city of Mumbai or you come here, you all are most welcome to contact me and we will go fishing in Powai.

And yes, never practice Catch and Release, when you are fishing in Bablee’s Pond. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
indiangypsy wrote:
Hi,

2. Don't ask for 'spots around x place where to fish'. Most anglers have given an arm and a leg in trying to find, nurture and protect places to keep a dying sport in India alive.

Tight Lines,
IG

Nice discussion and frank opinion is what make this forum so interesting. I agree with both Bobby and I.G. except in some area. As I.G. has posted this thread for new anglers, I will contradict him in some points about catch and release as under,
• First learn about the fishes.

• You must know the difference between a game fish and a pest fish.

• NEVER release a pest fish back. It is criminal.(Specially Mangur & Talapia).
Talapia tastes very good and you can always eat it. In case of Mangur (African), do whatever you feel like, even feed it to the dogs but do not release it.

• Never release a fish which does not belong to the local environment.(In case you hook one aquarium fish).

• If you want to take a game fish for pot, never take a female.

• Taking care of the environment and helping in maintaining the habitat where you are fishing is will help much in protecting the fish population.

And if you are a new angler and live in the city of Mumbai or you come here, you all are most welcome to contact me and we will go fishing in Powai.

And yes, never practice Catch and Release, when you are fishing in Bablee’s Pond. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.
:lol: :lol: [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

IA,

could you pls convert this into a sticky or something. I think there is a lot of valid input from everyone on this subject, and its good that its been broached.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Is there evidence that a fish caught on a spinner deep in its throat,and landed after a good fight will survive if released?
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:47 am 
Fishaholic

Michael, the point of your question being?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,

IG, thanks for starting a very interesting and controversial thread. It will be interesting to see more opinions of other members in due course.

I for one totally support catch and release when fishing in freshwater and believe it is our duty to make sure there are fish there for future generations to catch. Of course there are exceptions such as stocked trout waters, but when looking at natural waters and species such as the Mahseer, then there is no other way.

I hope I’m right here in saying that most members on IA are here because they enjoy and get a lot of pleasure from this wonderful sport. If this is true it therefore makes sense to release your catch, which will hopefully allow another fisherman to experience that same pleasure in the future.

I know I get as much pleasure from seeing a fish swim away in good condition than i did from catching that fish.

Immediately people will question releasing fish as many, particularly non fishers find it hard to believe that a released fish will live to fight another day. This is of course not the case. It’s seen in England where most fishing is catch and release that a fish may be caught many times without showing any ill effects.

Therefore if catch and release is going to be supported it is critical that it is carried out correctly. After all there is no point in releasing fish if they will subsequently die from poor handling during unhooking. This will come over time with education. For example, some fishing clubs won’t allow members to fish for pike without first completing a course in handling and unhooking. If you feel you are experienced in this area you can do your bit by helping less experienced anglers :D

It will take time for the angling community to see the benefits of CAR but as more people support it others will find themselves marginalised and will naturally join the ranks. Over time when stocks and size of individual specimens increase it will be hard to disagree with the practice and hopefully it will become the norm.

Although not freshwater, a good example where attitudes have changed is in the world of bill fishing. A few years ago it was the done thing to kill and string up a marlin or sailfish, but nowadays convention has changed and one will rarely see a sport fisherman bringing in his catch. A successful tag and release is now celebrated instead of photos with a dead fish. Fishing for these species has so far improved since CAR has been followed :D

As IG says, it’s also critical for all of us to have good bankside etiquette, not just to other anglers but to other users of the environment. There are many many people who don’t like what we do so there is no reason to give these antis fuel against us. Most obviously be kind to the environment and don’t leave litter behind.

Its important here to mention discarded line. This must be the worst offence!! Anyone finding a bird trapped in a tree by discarded line will be furious and will naturally want to string up any anglers close by. Don’t let this happen! :evil:

I look forward to hearing other members opinions on these subjects.

All the best,

Scott

www.worldbiker.blogpsot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 am 
Fishaholic

this thread seems to have been forgotten in the annals of IA,

posting this thread so that more people read this and there are no more knife fights on the forum...

Peace,

IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am 
Enlightened

Hello Guys

C&R in Freshwater is a nice one.

My personal opinion about C&R in Saltwater is that in most of the cases there is no need to C&R.

greetings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

madvento wrote:
My personal opinion about C&R in Saltwater is that in most of the cases there is no need to C&R.
greetings

So true, when the fish is sold in hotel's :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

good discussion.i personally am of the opinion that c&r is a good habit and practice.but i am species specific.meaning table fish, delicacy, staple diet species can be taken but in limited nos.also how endangered the species is also a point before its taken.the damage condition of the fish is also a factor.methods used, tackle and kind of water are all detrimental.

Last edited by king fisher on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: My 2cents
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree with most of what has been said by Ali.
Imagine releasing an eel! They eat fish fries!
I agree with IG! for new bees like myself. We should practice release as much as we can because we kow how tough it is to hook a fish! btw I hooked my first and released it! wasn't big enough anyway and even if it was I would've released. I experienced a differance when released. It was as though the fish understood he I was not going to harm it and just wanted a picture! It co operated very nicely. When let it go looked back at me like this is India and it has never happened with my family members before all who were caught were never let go.
The topic of nets! wow, very true, even if your a new angler and you happen to find a good spot dont even tell your friend whose not an angler about the spot. you might be in for a shock soon! I was.
I haven't done any salt water fishing but If and when I do. I don't think I'd be upsetting natures balance by one fish thats not too big to be a mommy and not small to be a kid. However I wont take more than one for myself and whoevers accompanying. I hope its justified. I will also keep in mind the species.... et all......
Rest..... I believe yes till one knows what they are doing, the fish, its habitat, species, numbers, deletion/eradication/extinction etc. etc. One must Release and Practice "A little knowlede/learning is a dangerous thing.", rather than practicing "Ignorance is Bliss".

Proverbs can be contradictory in certain situations.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

One wannabe angler I know, to whom I sadly took fishing offered money to locals for live coral and even started his website offering charter service for Angling. What an idiot. Luckily, I was informed by the locals about his intent of stealing / smuggling of live corals. Another shocking story is, many touring anglers are selling fish in Goa. From what I have heard (very reliable source), its a shame that we are allowing such people on the forum and helping them whenever possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Another shocking story is, many touring anglers are selling fish in Goa. From what I have heard (very reliable source), its a shame that we are allowing such people on the forum and helping them whenever possible.

Goa? Its happening at the pump house!!! Sad sad sad!!!

Post subject: WHOA!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
One wannabe angler I know, to whom I sadly took fishing offered money to locals for live coral and even started his website offering charter service for Angling. What an idiot. Luckily, I was informed by the locals about his intent of stealing / smuggling of live corals. Another shocking story is, many touring anglers are selling fish in Goa. From what I have heard (very reliable source), its a shame that we are allowing such people on the forum and helping them whenever possible.

I never thought it can get as grave as the coral story. Plus I hope india never has to take an initiative of making an artificial coral reef for them corals and polyps. Very sick person whoever he was. It is true there are many people are doing whatever they do with their fish, However doubt any are on the Forum.....

If so please pm me whom to be vary of...

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:56 pm 
Fishaholic

The coral thief is still on the forum..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:

I too have heard of both the incidents, :wink:
sometimes what appears to be a Rosy red Apple turns out to be completely rotten from inside

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:12 pm 
Fishaholic

From all the above replies there is one thing one should remember IG very specifically stated that its an etiquette and not a rule. RULES are mended and broken every where. Lets act sensibly in releasing what needs to be released, be it saltwater or fresh water. Anglers should use their common sense when they land multiples of the same species, take what is required not what you need. Your needs will be never ending. And when I say required it does not could the belly's of your village.
Like SCOTT rightly said "I know I get as much pleasure from seeing a fish swim away in good condition than i did from catching that fish. " now that should be the spirit or every angler.

Personally I have to confess that I have not practiced a lot of CAR because I have not caught many fishes :) but I must also say that I have (we have) been releasing all the cat fishes we have caught since we lost our jobs :)

After all these suggestions you may very well land as many fishes as you want and take them all home and not report them on IA. Thats where etiquette comes into picture.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:35 am 
Fishaholic

this world is and will go down the drain... but let us not be the ones to contribute to it... i know in one way or another we hurt the earth, each other and ourselves.. we are not perfect ... and never will be .. but we can strive .. we can go down fighting.. against that very thing that makes us and even breaks us.. our fallen nature and greed.. in the areas that we are conscious of, lets do what, not we can: but what we must...the world over us indians are known for our "chalta hai" sab kar rahe hain.. mai bhi karoonga" attitude... i know it will probably never really change ..but if we WILL IT ..it can.. it is so much so now .. that we have others from overseas come here and and join us in our lawlessness , and lack of ethics ... we say arre ek se kya hoga .. dus jan kar rahe hai" didnt your dads or grand dads not ever tell you ..it takes guts and grit to stand for what is right and swim against the tide... why do we have to follow the herd.. why do we become part of the crowd... men .. if we can be callous enough and unethical enough in such matters as a hobby/sport, i wonder what we are like in the other areas of our lives.. i know here in india angling is quite a costly affair.. does that mean we can think im entitled to do what i want.. our resources are really no ones to sell or buy... just be thankful that we are priviledged enough to afford to indulge in this wonderful sport...be thankful that we can put a fish back and that it will live and that it will reproduce and the waters will be replenished... and please if you love your children... do them a favour... because they will learn to be like you.. from seeing what you do and dont do... please in what ever capacity be conservationists first and anglers second... once again please forgive me for the long tirade ... but im compeled to say this from a heavy heart... i remember my grandfathers world , and all he spoke about... even then he said some ppl had some sense concerning such matters .. lets be lovingly , jealously , gaurdingly responsible for our resources...

i sincerely hope that some day soon , all of us on this forum would come to consensus .. on a reasonable terms of understanding of what we take and what we put back.. where we can be honest men with each other and ourselves... where we can without fear and secrecy invite one another to our favourite jaunts for a fish.. since we know we will take one or two plate sized ones and put the rest back.. where this forum can return to the friendly place it was a few years ago..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 am 
Enlightened

hello santosh

I understand what you are telling.

But when you are such a big fan of C&R why you put in your last post a picture with 11 dead fish? Probably because you are one of the only person angling in this place and not going there everyday, wich makes it ok to remove fish. (Thats what my opinion is)

So who of us should throw the stone when we all (Most of us) sitting in the glass house.

cheers and tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Madvento, didi I say that you are selling fish in Goa? Just wondering why are you defending yourself.. LOL

As for the world to know how much I release, ask any member who has been fishing with me. If 11 were taken for pot, be assured 30 big ones were released.

Nothing against you my friend, but selling fish is lot worst than taking them for Pot.

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject: Here we go again!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Chill guys!

Please!

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:23 pm 
Fishaholic

11 dead fish is 11 dead fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 am 
Fishaholic

So? Should I also sell them?? good night, wakeup.. smell some coffee before you open your mouth, read what I am pointing. Nothing abt taking few fish for pot. 38 fish in 5 days, total 11 fish for pot, 4 fish were taken fresh for BBQ at the resort and rest 7 were brought home. So 29 fish were C&R, not sold in some hotel for profit like some are doing here.. I am not here for next 5 days so have fun,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:30 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
So? Should I also sell them?? good night, wakeup.. smell some coffee before you open your mouth, read what I am pointing. Nothing abt taking few fish for pot. 38 fish in 5 days, total 11 fish for pot, 4 fish were taken fresh for BBQ at the resort and rest 7 were brought home. So 29 fish were C&R, not sold in some hotel for profit like some are doing here.. I am not here for next 5 days so have fun, .. FO

@Santosh,

you don't need to justify anything. As far as one school of thought goes, buddy that at the end of the day it was your catch. Period.

@Everyone: I'd suggest we maintain a sense of decorum here on the forum. Gentlemen, if you are touchy about killing fish, then don't fish! This does not mean i endorse the 'RANDOM' killing of fish. Certain species such as the Mahseer are strictly on the 'Thou-Shalt-Not-Kill' list. Species such as Rohu, Catla and carps are however fair game; DEPENDING on the WATERS you are fishing in. This also does not justify taking predators such as Eels, Mulleys, Sol, Catfish etc.

Pls. use your God given brains and gauge the waters you are in.

Conservations/People against all killing should not partake in angling as a sport. Pls. get an aquarium instead. You are out catching fish; there will be casualties. Again, This does not mean i endorse the 'RANDOM' killing of fish.

As far as exploiting natural resource for commercial gain is concerned, it is shameful. Who ever you are, please invest in a fish farm instead.

There is a lot more I'd like to say, but I'm going to leave it at this for the time being.

Tight lines gents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear All,

Apparently we all have a chance to play god with the fish we catch. Use your discretion wisely!!

Reminds me of a movie "Bruce Almighty" :-)

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

bang on sam...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:00 pm 
Fishaholic

---

Last edited by kryptoz on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 pm 
Fishaholic

No need to hyper react to what I said and start defending self. I just said 11 dead fishes are 11 dead ones whether you sell it, eat it or do what ever with it for kicks.

santosh wrote:
So? Should I also sell them?? good night, wakeup.. smell some coffee before you open your mouth, read what I am pointing. Nothing abt taking few fish for pot. 38 fish in 5 days, total 11 fish for pot, 4 fish were taken fresh for BBQ at the resort and rest 7 were brought home. So 29 fish were C&R, not sold in some hotel for profit like some are doing here.. I am not here for next 5 days so have fun, .. FO

Last edited by kryptoz on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kryptoz,

You ought to mind your words in a public forum like this.
I strongly condemn your attitude.

Bops, where have you disappeared?

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 am 
Fishaholic

Ravi, with respect if you failed to see how I was told to watch my mouth for speaking a fact, consider, I will just plainly ignore others preaching me, unless its from anyone whom I owe anything et al.

ravinp58 wrote:
Hi Kryptoz,

You ought to mind your words in a public forum like this.
I strongly condemn your attitude.

Bops, where have you disappeared?

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

lets stick to angling and desist from personal attacks. i would also like to say that we need to be a bit civil , we are all adults after all.
the oft repeated line is that opinions are like @##%*&$# and every one has one. keeping this in mind a bit of leeway to each would be nice. if any one has any issue with another member then the best would be to point it out politely. in case of repeat offenders we have mods. leave the moral policing to god and lets enjoy angling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

kryptoz wrote:
I just said 11 dead fishes are 11 dead ones whether you sell it, eat it or do what ever with it for kicks.

For kicks I do other things, as a angler I catch fish to enjoy the sport. Yes I take few fish home (yes few compared to the numbers that are put back) , who does not?

I was debating on some anglers who sell their catch and want to smuggle corals. These guys certainly do not deserve to be on the forum. If anyone out here is to sell their catch, they should use nets and not rods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

You just proved my point. Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Where are the moderators?

Last edited by Omesh.Moorjani on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Guys take a chill pill....this goes for all of you.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 am 
Fishaholic

Peace, Guys!

This is a free country. Let one do what he pleases. Eat, release, sell and whatever.

Angling in India is in its infancy and I believe IA is doing a great job in promoting this fantastic sport.

Many of the people who are sparring here are like Heroes to many of the budding anglers who join this site. I do not think what is happening bodes good either for the forum or to angling in general.

Forget about Angling etiquette. Let us maintain personal decorum and respect first.

I would like all the offensive and the offending posts to be removed. Moderators- pls oblige.

Let us be Anglers and Gentlemen! :D

Tight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:44 am 
Fishaholic

Sailendra wrote:
I would like all the offensive and the offending posts to be removed. Moderators- pls oblige. Let us be Anglers and Gentlemen!

Hear hear. Why did the moderators allow offensive posts in the first place? :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

Dear Sailendra,

With the utmost respect , and without any ill will and malice , i must point out this..." This is a free country. Let one do what he pleases. Eat, release, sell and whatever"

Freedom is not freedom without boundaries... let everyone do as he pleases - that is anarchy.

With the rest of what you have said dear friend, i completely and wholeheartedly second it.

Gents im not some crazy greenpeace / vegan/ hippy extremeist .. yes there are no rules for angling in india .. but we all have a conscience .

please do what is right.. keep what needs to be kept and let go of what needs to be let go of .. make and informed and educated decision.

This site i believe promotes c n r , so i dont think we should say sell what is caught.. definitely not.

It is because we are not gentlemen out in the field when no one is there to watch us , we are not gentlemen here at times with one another.

Dear people , lets get along .. forget all the recent past and go fish.. have fun be responsible wihile at it..

Best regards to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:
Sailendra wrote:
I would like all the offensive and the offending posts to be removed. Moderators- pls oblige. Let us be Anglers and Gentlemen!

No idea. Its been happening though, quite a few threads, fortunately/unfortunately, many respectable individuals, known and unknown do take a part in this word battle.

Its just making this place look a lot more undignified.

Well, Bops is back and i guess this time around some changes might just come into play. (HOPEFULLY)

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

just my 2cents

Im not even a begineer as far as the vast amount of experienced anglers we have here on this forum...

not so long ago.... when i started angling i saw people take out fish of all sizes,shapes and color
even if they want it or they dont want it
they will let the fish to die......
they simply give it to some one else or even worse throw it back in water!!!!
this is what a beginner was seeing and same he was learning (Monkey see monkey do)

before joining AI i never knew about C&R and i never bothered about C&R (whatever i caught.... that includes smaller tiny 2inch ones)
but after joining AI and reading about C&R and about protecting environment
my point of view changed
i clean up everything after i fish... dont throw any rubbish in sea and even if some one else has left something i will clean that
most of my caught fishes are put back to sea so as to catch them later....

i did C&R with the biggest fish that i caught (5 kg catfish).... by any standard i think thats not a small one but still i did relesed back the fish
(Do you think i would have done that if i have never read about C&R)??!!
you should have seen the looks on the guys who were standing next to me....
they wanted that fish for themselfs but i enjoyed more releasing fish back to where it belonged.......

i wonder why people hate some particular fishes!!!!!!
coz they cant eat them
so they simply hit them with hammer and throw it back
if i see all this around what i will learn and what i can expect from myself

my question to all the experienced and not so experienced anglers.....
if im not educated or never gets to know the importance of C&R. how im going to do C&R??????
or why i will bother to pick up any fishing lines/hooks left behind and clean my rubbish after fishing....
im doing my bit and its never going to be sufficient.....
i cant force the same on the guy standing next to me..... as the feeling should come from inside....

We can only educate people and then its their self consciousness what they do next
every coin has two sides
we can only hope that from IA we all leran good things and return it back to nature in positive manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

proud of you bro..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Adolph wrote:
Sailendra wrote:

Adolph, moderators are not paid employees to sit and edit posts all the time. It is upto the members to maintain decorum and if they do not, it will simply lead to a ban. There are times when moderators cannot all be on the forum to oversee things, it is upto members like you to inform them. I have been away from a proper internet connection for a few months now and have been unable to log on daily and am grateful for any support that the moderators have been providing in my absence.

I would like you all to remember that this is a free forum, you are not paying to be registered here and it a privilege that is extended to you simply because you are a sporting angler.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Disclaimer : Following are my views with no intent to disrespect any other angler's thought streams. I agree with a lot of the "pro catch and release" thoughts here and i'd like to add my [not so experienced] take on it :

1.I'm a full supporter of Catch and Release. Taking a fish or two to the pan while on a trip isn't too bad either especially IF the fish has very little change of survival. Otherwise the local farm fish isn't all that bad. In any case I fish for the sport of it, its hardly a "Im a self sustaining hunter" trip. we live in the times of broiler chicken. if we've gotten used to that i'm sure we can give a fair chance of survival to the few wild fish who grace us by taking the fly/hook. there is always that odd camping trip where your only major food source is the fish you catch...i'll definitely take a few to the pan in that case...but i CAN be selective about the species, given a choice.

2.Barbless and sharp hooks - nothing like sharp hooks. they penentrate better and help you hold the fish (sharp hooks catch fish!!) Barbless hooks make it easier to take the hook out. It increases your "game" as well : to land the fish you always have to maintain pressure on the fish with no slack line. as long as this is done the hook isnt coming out. I've also seen cases when the fish take off with the lure in its mouth, snapping the line. Barbless hooks would certainly up the chances of survival of these wild fish.I think of it like this : "Barbless hooks makes me work harder and enhances my angling skills". Lefty Creh in his video tricks,tips and techniques" demonstrates that a fish will remain hooked on barbless even after keeping his rod on the river bank and stepping away from it!

3. Handling the fish : The less I handle the fish the more chances it has to revive and survive. with barbless you can just ease off the pressure and the hook will easily come off with minimum handling. Squeezing the fish doesnt help much either. then there's the inevitable drop on it's head while the fish tries to jump out of your hand into the water. No good if youre on a boat, almost always the fish will fall on the boat. Don't even get me started on using dry hands while holding the fish, taking off their protective slime in one easy stroke. All in all, for me ( being the clumsy oaf i am), the less i handle the fish the better it is for the fish. Still haven't figured out how to get the Kotak moment with the fish if its not handled, but maybe in a few years I'll get over my need to preserve the moment....in the meantime I need to handle fish very carefully.

4. I agree with Mr. Ali that one needs to be aware of what they're putting back in the water. To take an invasive species out of the food chain isn't that bad a deal.

5. Saltwater : There really is no harm putting some back, especially when you've got your supper supply.

6. our inland water resources are really stretched( no shit, genius!): pollution, population pressure and a degenerating ground water supply. add to that degradation of the catchment areas and we have a pretty grim picture. bombing and non selective netting take their toll as well. The least we can do is to not take something out when we have the choice! excercising that choice makes me more a part of the solution , than being THE problem.

7. Everyday while i step inside my car for the unavoidable drive to(and fro) work, i prepare myself for the reality of my life. I WILL get honked at the rate of 1 honk a second. I WILL get tailgated all the way from my house to my office. Every 2 wheeler WILL try to get under my wheels. Every other driver will cuss me for my existence. Now everyday i think : I can either join them and be merry. or i can excercise my choice and go nuts trying NOT to follow the street norm. the choice is mine and mine alone. Its kind of like catch and release, isnt it? the more difficult-to-follow choice, but maybe the decent-way-to-live choice?! i'm not judging anyone but myself here and thats my point on this forum. Its true we have freedom of choice, but that choice has responsibility of thought and consequence attached to it.The choice , at the end, is ours and ours alone.

Hey, I just like fishing man....and i also enjoy letting 'em go!