->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys!

My name's Aznir, from Malaysia. I'm a freshwater angler, with particular penchant for river sportfishes: mahseer, Hampala Barb, snakeheads etc.
I'm also a fishing writer for Malaysian mags.

I'm an active member of another forum, the Malaysia Fishing Net, a 'huge' place with 4.2 million hits last month :o
But I have been lured to this forum...

For the past few years, I have been making annual pilgrimage to Cauvery River for the mighty mahseer. To me it's the greatest river sportfish in India, if not the world! :shock:

so far, I have only been fishing the humpbacked mahseer of Cauvery. I'm hoping to find out more about the mahseers, notably the greyhound/golden mahseer of the north.

My handle? Well, I 'stole' it from John Gierach (Trout Bum). I'm a jungle river addict!

Congrats Bopanna, for starting this forum. Looking forward to 'meet' you guys!!

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Junglebum,

I am chuffed to have a Malayasian aboard as I have a very vested interest - could you please give me links to online tackle shops in Malaysia?

Also, would it be possible to get a Shimano Beastmaster or Nexave uptide rod in Malaysia?

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject: Fishing in Malaysia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:32 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Junglebum,
I'm hoping to come out to Malaysia in a couple of winters time. Where abouts are you based, and where is the best place for fishing?
I assumed I would visit the peninsula, but perhaps I need to go to Borneo?
Let us know when you are coming to India and I'm sure Bops and myself (if I'm there at the time) will help you to get amonst the mahseer.
regards,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:28 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Rustam/Steve;

Sorry for late reply. Been in and out of the jungle. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it :D

Shimano beastmaster; can be found here in Malaysia. Let me find out more re the price. Uptide rods are 'unknown' here! I got mine (Shimano) for the mahseer, from the UK. But there's myriad rods here that may fit the bill. I have used popping rods (8.5 to 9 ft, albeit a bit more stiff) for casting the big ragi baits in the Cauvery, no sweat.

For reels, our big choice is Penn Spinfisher 8500 or 9500, for spinning. Mite heavy, but for baitfishing that's okay. The drag's a monster and gearing's bullet proof! Some of us even upgrade the stuff,, an approach borrowed from the gT popping gang. My Penn's drag now can now break the pharygeal tetth off Mr Tor!

Anyway, if you want to chat with a very knowledgeable guy on all sorts of tackle, try Uncle Bob, fishing tackle dealer (ubobmy@yahoo.com)

Steve,

Quite a few placs to fish here in Malaysia, depending on what you are looking for. For freshwater, we have the red Malaysian mahseer. They dont grow as m=big, but the rivers are smaller and full of rocks/timber snags. Just as big a challenge! The best place is in this river called Tahan, in our National Park. The mahseer runs to about 20-lb. You need 20-lb line, abrasion resistant. Size 1/0 - 2/0 suicide hooks will do, but strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:58 am 
Fishaholic

Hi JB,

Thanks for the heads-up. Will contact Uncle Bob. Problem with getting the uptide rod from U.K. is that it exceeds their maximum parcel length limit.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Yeah, too right! I have been using lately the 9-ft 2 piece rods (equal length). Makes the rod case shorter too! I left the Shimano uptide 10 footer at Bhimeshwari, cos its too cumbersome to lug about!

Post subject: Malaysian mahseer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hi JB,
where is that National Park?
What is the best time of year?
thanks,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:10 am 
Fishaholic

junglebum wrote:
Yeah, too right! I have been using lately the 9-ft 2 piece rods (equal length). Makes the rod case shorter too!

Hi JB,

What is the name and specs for the above mentioned rod?

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:24 am 
Fishaholic

Steve,

It's in the state of Pahang, basecamp is Kuala Tahan (confluence between the rivers Pahang and Tahan). The basecamp is about 3.5 hours by road from Kuala Lumpur. From there, you'll be taken by plastic canoe up the Tahan (3 to 4 hours), to this exclusive fishing camp named Melantai 2. RM2000 (about USD500) for 3days/2nite fishing. Baitfishing for the big red mahseer, lure fishing for hampala barb and giant snakehead.
This place is a conservation site, so catch-n-release i the order of the day.

Phone contact: 604 658 8979, talk to Dr Eddy Tan.

Rustam,

There are a few models, let me list them from memory:

-Penn Powergraph, 9 ft 2-pc, rated at 25-lb. Spinning. Made in Penang, Malaysia, so it's cheap, at approx RM200 (USD50). I matched this rod with either Penn Spinfisher 8500 or Shimano Thunnus 16000 (baitrunner)

-Penn Sabre; 9-ft 2-pc; rated at 25-lb; casting/multiplier. Around RM300, I think. Brilliant light rod for big mahseer. Matched this with Abu 7000. This rod have caught me most of my mahseer

-Berkley Series One , 9-ft, 2-pc, Heavy action, for multiplier; has trigger grip. rated 20-lb. Lighter than the Penn Sabre. Around RM200.
This rod landed me a 70-lb mahseer last November, below the Balumudhu rapids, Cauvery. Boy was i undergunned! The rod tip spent about 20 minutes IN the water! But this rod should be brill for small mahseer / smaller ragi baits.

-Shimano Twinpower Uptide, 10-ft, 2-pc (4-ft butt, 6-ft tip). This is a stump-puller, fit only for the largest mahseer. Matched it with Daiwa Sealine 30 or Thunnus 16000. Landed a 92-lb golden mahseer on it. The rod didn't break, but my back did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Aznir,

Thanks for the list. I take it these rods are still available and that too in Malaysia?

I have a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner with 40lbs mono. Any particular rod you would recommend to compliment it?

Rustam

P.S.: When you say a rod is rated at 25lbs., what exactly are you refering to? Thanks.

Post subject: Uptide Rods
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
Too right about the length of the uptide rods. Had my aunt carry one in for me from England. At Bangalore one smart cat asked her if she had been sent in to demolish Bangalore airport. But i love them all the same especially the twin power shimano. Can move a boulder with it.
Regards
Owen
junglebum wrote:
Steve,

It's in the state of Pahang, basecamp is Kuala Tahan (confluence between the rivers Pahang and Tahan). The basecamp is about 3.5 hours by road from Kuala Lumpur. From there, you'll be taken by plastic canoe up the Tahan (3 to 4 hours), to this exclusive fishing camp named Melantai 2. RM2000 (about USD500) for 3days/2nite fishing. Baitfishing for the big red mahseer, lure fishing for hampala barb and giant snakehead.
This place is a conservation site, so catch-n-release i the order of the day.

Phone contact: 604 658 8979, talk to Dr Eddy Tan.

Rustam,

There are a few models, let me list them from memory:

-Penn Powergraph, 9 ft 2-pc, rated at 25-lb. Spinning. Made in Penang, Malaysia, so it's cheap, at approx RM200 (USD50). I matched this rod with either Penn Spinfisher 8500 or Shimano Thunnus 16000 (baitrunner)

-Penn Sabre; 9-ft 2-pc; rated at 25-lb; casting/multiplier. Around RM300, I think. Brilliant light rod for big mahseer. Matched this with Abu 7000. This rod have caught me most of my mahseer

-Berkley Series One , 9-ft, 2-pc, Heavy action, for multiplier; has trigger grip. rated 20-lb. Lighter than the Penn Sabre. Around RM200.
This rod landed me a 70-lb mahseer last November, below the Balumudhu rapids, Cauvery. Boy was i undergunned! The rod tip spent about 20 minutes IN the water! But this rod should be brill for small mahseer / smaller ragi baits.

-Shimano Twinpower Uptide, 10-ft, 2-pc (4-ft butt, 6-ft tip). This is a stump-puller, fit only for the largest mahseer. Matched it with Daiwa Sealine 30 or Thunnus 16000. Landed a 92-lb golden mahseer on it. The rod didn't break, but my back did!

Post subject: Re: Uptide Rods
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
But i love them all the same especially the twin power shimano. Can move a boulder with it.

Hi Owen,

Where the dicken's does one get these Twinpower rods? Google wasn't of much help.

Regards.

Rustam

Post subject: Uptide Rods
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
Uptides are strictly from Europe, and the Twin Power from Shimano is now out of production for quite some time now. Shimano does have an Uptide NEXAVE AX & Beastmaster try this link www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/2224/
Burnt my fingers on a NEXAVE, shattered on its first outing so i can't recommend it. The Beastmaster is a little more expensive, but i have my doubts whether they make their rods the way they used to.
By the way uptides like 96610 stands for 9ft 6" with a 6 to 10 oz casting weight capability.
The UK angling sites are full of them, but you won't find a Twin Power except occasionally second hand on Ebay .
I hear that Daiwa has an ugly stick model that is similar to an uptide, don't have the model number though.
Take Care
Owen

Post subject: Re: Uptide Rods
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Actually I did have a Beastmaster 96610 uptide rod and a Shimano Baitrunner Long Cast but had to sell them unused due to a cash crunch.

So far I have been using Fosters of Birmingham in the U.K. and Cabelas in the U.S. for my tackle.

Shakespeare does have an uptide rod but whether it is in the Ugly Stik range, I am not sure.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:56 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for that JB, sounds very tempting.

If anyone has a particular item of tackle they need that can only come from Europe, let me know and I'll do my best to bring some stuff out next Feb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:04 am 
Fishaholic

Bro Rustam,

The ratings refer to what poundage of line (mono) is best for the rod, load-wise. It's also a rough indicator of the strength of the rod. Rods made in the East never quote test curves. At best, it's "casting weight" or "action" or line rating. Even then, you can't trust the figures!

Btw, those ratings are based purely on my judgement, which may err, depending on time of day :lol:

Say Rustam, when r u gonna be in Cauvery? My group's targeting end November, at Bhimeshwari. It'd be great to have a masala tea with you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:16 am 
Fishaholic

junglebum wrote:
Say Rustam, when r u gonna be in Cauvery? My group's targeting end November, at Bhimeshwari. It'd be great to have a masala tea with you!

Hi Aznir,

I have only been fishing a year and what little I have done has been on the WASI stretch of the Cauvery as the Jungle Lodges resorts are a bit dear for me.

Yet to see Bhimeshwari but have fished twice at Galibore - not for mahseer, though.

I have no idea what my plans for November are but even if we don't meet at a fishing spot we should meet up in Bangalore. I look forward to that and we can finalise things closer to the date.

Regards.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Could provide you guys details of the Wasi lakes that are loaded with Rohu, grass carp , Mirgal & giant Murral. Wasi membership would entitle you to fishing the lakes at very nominal rates.
Would be happy to provide the iinfo.
Regards
Owe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:18 am 
Fishaholic

Owen,

Where exactly is this Wasi lake? Near Galibore? Will they accept non-India-resident members?

Actually, I'm tickled by the mrigal and giant murrel; never caught the former, and the murrel is always interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:23 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

Just got word from my team mate: he's booked the Cauvery for mid December. Probably, we'll be in Bangalore on 15th Dec morning, probably at The Park Hotel as always. I know it's a long way off, but i'm very forgetful, and you probably have better memory than me! So, I hope we cam, er, probably meet then :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:40 am 
Fishaholic

Aznir,

The WASI lake is in the Shivsamudram area up-river of Galibore.

[img][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/RHB65/WASImap.jpg[/img][/img]

I am not sure about them accepting foreign members but my money is that they will and probably at the same rate that they charge us locals, namely, Rs.10,000/- for a life membership. Membership details can be found at www.wasiindia.com Let me know what sort of membership you would be interested and I can get you a reply. Alternatively, you could e-mail them.

15th December sounds good. I may have to go up north in December but that will probably be sometime closer to Christmas. The Park Hotel isn't that far from my place. Look forward to meeting up - probably arrange a small get together of some experienced WASI members, so that they could tell you more about the fishing here. Date noted in the calender because the less said about my memory the better. :roll:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

Aznir,

Just checked with WASI and there are no objections to a foreigner joining. You will need to take the Rs.10,000.00 life membership.

If you need any more clarifications please let me know.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:47 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,
If memory serves, Shivsamundram is a good ways downriver from Bhimeshwari. So this WASI lake is not depicted on the map? Also, the Shimsha comes in just a few furlongs beyond Sambhar pool (I've trudged upriver to it) way closer to Bhimeshwari and certainly not beyond Dodhmakli as shown. Is this map off kilter for a reason? To confuse those damn outsiders?
Regards,
MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:51 am 
Fishaholic

Now this outsider is confused! :shock:

I have fished the stretches from Galibore (Crocodile Pool and Mudrekal) up to Doddamakali. I have not heard of any lakes nearby.

Rustam, from your map, the lakes seem to be at that hydro generation scheme?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:29 am 
Fishaholic

MM,

I have yet to visit Bhimeshwari and Doddmakali, so can't tell if the map is wrong. Will try a real map later.

The WASI lake is about the size of a cricket ground and is represented by that small blue dot next to 'WASI Cottage'. Will put up a few pics later.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:31 am 
Fishaholic

junglebum wrote:
Rustam, from your map, the lakes seem to be at that hydro generation scheme?

Got it in one.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff aka mystic maral,

Shivanasamudram is way upstream of Bhimeshwari. It lies in between Forbes sagar and Doddamakli. It's mekedatu that lies below bhimeshwari and Galibori. I will put up a satellite image of the WASI camp sometime today.

TIght lines!
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Maybe I can be of some help. I have a Survey of India map of the whole stretch. It was quite confusing till I sorted it out on the map. Will find, scan and post it for all to see. Might take some time though.... :oops:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Akshay,

I was working on a map generated from google earth. I should be putting up the images soon. Shows forbes sagar, canal etc very clearly.

If you do have gps co-ordinates of different angling locations please post them so that I can mark them on the map.

Bopanna