->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:30 pm 

A little about myself, I work as an IT professional, background is more biased toward quality systems. Motorcycles are my hobby, and grab up most of my resources, (time and money) :D not that im complaining or anythign :twisted:

Fishing, is something that has intrigued me for quite a while! Iv done a little fishing, ponds, lakes, rivers, and once a little bit of surf fishing. No mention worthy catches, so far have had good luck with the sweet water catfish, never let me go home empty handed! Been using just line and at time bamboo sticks as fishing rods, save the times iv managed to sneak out my dads rod, scouting the market for a rod n reel for myself now..

Any of the bombay guys, goin fishing on or near the marve - madh stretch, do give me a holler, would love to join in!

Best Regards..
Christopher Keve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on board, Chris.

Have a look at the IA shop for equipment.

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:34 pm 
Fishaholic

did some one say Marve-Madh!.........

Hello Cristopher,

Welcome to the forum.Or should I say "Enter Sandman!"

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:58 pm 

haha.. thanks madhur :)
i see madh got your attention :D
when you headed there next?

how about saturday? ill be there..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Cris... Welcome to the forum... Marve-Madh for fishing???? Best of Luck Friend. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:58 pm 

not a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:48 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Chris,
The sea is rough these days.... And if you must, you'll have to plan a bit(for the bhang tide timing) even then there are only limited spots to fish.. Try heading towards the fort... and may be you'll get a chance to spin a bit.All the best.

Cheers,
Madhur.

PS. you could also go behind the fort where locals gather to catch mullets on bait.... its a frenzy though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 pm 

hehe.. thats exactly where im headed :)
lets hope the sea favors me tonite :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Madhur, what bait do they use for mullet? From what I hear the mullet are very finicky about what they eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome, did you catch anything on the 11th?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Madhur, what bait do they use for mullet? From what I hear the mullet are very finicky about what they eat.

Hey Bops,

They use what is locally known as Jowla(small shrimp) I don't know what its called in english.They also toss some rotten jowla first ... you can immediately see lot of mullets gathering.These guys use really small hooks and bamboo sticks.. I've seen buggers pull out about thirty mullets(decent sized) in less than an hour!

Yea, you are rite about the mullets being finicky eaters... but I've got an uncle in Ribandar,Goa.. who would wake up and just head for the mandovi with a piece of bread and his ever ready fishing stick(no floats, no nothing).Would quietly head to his daily spot.. toss a few crumbs and wait for the mullets to gather.. would moisten the remaining bread,kneading it into dough and then use small portions on a Microscopic hook.... would easily pick a few for the afternoon curry and head home.. that simple..... all this in about 30 min. :shock:

That being said "I" never managed to catch any thing!...hahahah.. :lol: I guess the mullets are just finicky of certain ppl!...lol :wink:

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Catching mullets depends on the location where you are, Jowla, krill like shrimp works in a lot of places. When I used to fish for them at Bandra they only took worms. In some places they even take bread. I would not call mullet finicky, but initially cautions and their soft mouth would require one to develop the art of setting the hook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:43 pm 

ended up with a sardine :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats on your first. It's better than nothing :-)

Madhur thanks for the info.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:27 am 

Welcome to the madness, Sandman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome Sandman, I see you are on a Bullet Electra. Fishing and biking are my passioon too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sandman welcome to the forum,i dont think those mullets youll catch will taste good when u fry them ull get smell of diesel/kerosene oil.Mullets being surface feeders tend to absorb the contamants in the water.I wished we can educate our general public and every minister must be a fisherman and a IA member guess we can teach them how to run a country with 6500 kms of sea front and countless rivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:18 pm 

Thanks guys!
the locals have a blast catching mullets, whats called curry meen in kerala, and some other similar lookin fish (the dorsal fin is built to maim im sure) that they end up catching near the temple, apparently its quite a fan of the jagged moss covered rocks ;)

@ rulerofsun
thats my old 1959 350cc :) shes been retired from highway running recently, replaced by a machismo 500
wow! we shud meet up for a ride and some fishing, what say? :idea:
some of my rides are blogged here: www.royalenfield.com/keveterminator

@heliox1965
my ridings taken me quite a few places, so im used to eating and drinking just about anything :twisted:
my favorite was sugarcane juice laced with the oil that poured out of the machine, never tasted better :roll:
now look what uv gone and done, im all hungry for mullet :shock:
thanks! will keep your tip in mind! and yea.. you make a valid point! the locals love to toss their bidis into the water when theyr done with them, and there i was packin away my cigarette butts to dispose of them properly! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Sandman Karimeen is Pearl spot its a different fish wat they catching is Palu tat dorsal fine can give u a nasty sting watch it.I pulled out some big Ravas behind the fort especially in august but tat was in the early eighties.Are u from Orlem not many people riding a 1959 royal enfield,bikes i love emm but not where i live in Pune we average 1 fatality/day mostly college kiddies sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:35 pm 

yups, was from orlem, now shuttle between orlem and goregaon.. shes a dream, now saving up to restore my 1939 triumph :) this is one addiction that can take you down faster than any drug addiction!
early eighties :shock: i was floating around somewhere in heaven at that time ;) landed here dazed and confused in 84! :D
aah pune eh, got quite a few friends in the pune riding circuit! visit there sometimes, all hail burger king ;)

thanks for the curry meen identification! i suck at this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome aboard pal and join the gang of madh marve anglers sea is bit rough now a days but i am itching to go there did you manage that sardine in this weather where exactly you went? I will get in touch or you do Pm me when you are planing the next trip Madhur are you coming too???
:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:07 am 

Hello Sandman,

For your next mullet trip, try the following.

Once when i was in Lisbon, there was a mullet catching competition held in the port area. There were nearly 100 persons trying to catch the mullets using very good quality fishing tackle and only about 10 persons were really catching the fish.

1 persn out of that 10 was using a simple but very good technique. he had a small fishing pole with small diameter line and a very small hook on it. He was standing on the sloping pier with a small bucket full of garbage and a big spoon to feed that garbage to the fish. As for my knowledge, the garbage contained a paste of bread and some fish waste, it was really looking like garbage.

Then he used to take a spoon full of that paste and throw it on the edge of the sloping pier which then was being washed slowly by the waves into the water and attracting nearly 50 mullets, average size around 30 to 40 centimeters. Then he used to bait his hook with a small piece of braid and simply put the hook down in the middle of the flowing paste where the mullets were feeding. On average he was catching 1 mullet a minute. And the other persons standing there with sophisticated equipments and catching may be 1 mullet each 30 minutes.

So the main point is, you dont need sophisticated equipments to catch fish, you just need a good technique to catch them. So you can still stick with your bamboo stick and catch the mullets, but if you go there with your nice looking equipment then instead of catching mullets you will only attract a crowd of 50 or more persons to see what you are trying to do. In my good old school days, we used to catch fish in our village ponds using normal white thread and hooks made out of paper pins or small nails attached to bamboo sticks.

But now, when we have the possibility to use sophisticated fishing tackle, we could only catch plastic bags.

As Heliox said, we need to educate our people and ministers how to preserve our fish stocks for the next generations to enjoy fishing. Forget about educating ministers, it will be a total waste of time. As far general public is concerned, yes we can educate/encourage them not to eat fish during the monsoon months (breeding season), especially the small catfish and shrimps which enter the esturies/mangroves in order to breed. As you can see during the monsoon season, in the fish market you can find plenty of these small catfish full of eggs inside and also the tiny baby shrimps which you cannot even count how many are there in 1 gram, and all this you can buy for a very cheap price.

Just imagine, if you eat one of this catfish, you already destroy 100's of catfish babies and if you eat 10 gram of this baby shrimps (it is called Kolimb in local language, which many people use for preparind pickle) you are killing millions of shrimps.

Now to educate the consumers and fishermens will be a difficult task, but the fishermens need to understand that they are destroying their future resources of livelihood. If the fishermens will stop catching these creatures during the breeding season, for sure the consumers will stop eating them as they will be no longer available in the fish market.

If you study the fishing regulations in many countries like in usa, europe or australia/newzealand, they have maintained a strict size limit for each different species that you can catch and also they have a bag limit of how many fish you can take home.

Compare this with india, where you can catch/keep everything and anything and nobody will even bother to say you something about it.

I was also reading in the fishing magazines about UK that the anglers associations were protesting against the governments decision about the fishing licences issues and some sport fishing issues and they managed to succeed in that.

The same, i believe should be done by the pleasure anglers (all of us) community in order to preserve the fishing stock that our sea has, so that we and our future generation can have the possibility to know and to learn what is called sports fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 pm 

WOW sobars! thanks!
lovely piece of information! will surely try this out!

Yups, your right, the madh fish market was filled with smallish catfish! (12-14cm)
Also some octopus, mackeral ka saala(looks like a big giant mackeral), roho (yups, even i was shocked at thenumber of river fish they were selling there), and something that looks suprisingly like a thilopia/thielepia, only that its entirely jet black!
Doesnt seem that the monsoon hardships are affecting the ammount of fish being bought!

The sea is a bit too rough now, waiting for it to get a little more peaceful before i cast again! although, those many hours at the beach waiting for a bite, were quite relaxing :-) for me, a new form of meditation perhaps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 pm 

PS: the fish they were catching on the rocks is a bream, saw the same pic in Tathagata's album and recognised it to be the same...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:54 am 

Hi Christopher,

You seem like a perfect person who could assist me with our hobbies. I love biking and fishing but was falling short of guidance and I saw your profile. Would you be having a Ride and fishing trip soon? and if you dont mind could I pile on to this scene. Appreciate if you can reply by PM

Thanks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:59 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Chris..
Welcome aboard..

I used to frequent the madh marve spots. Catching mullets is a real fun here..just incase ur tired of getting salted in the sun, you could try some sweet water fishing at Powai Lake.

Big Game here... Catla, Rohu, Hybrid, Silver, Mirgal.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 am 

hey rohan, im dam sorry, logged in after a long time today, sounds like you have a nice plan ;) im game!
thanks vishal, im up for any kind of fishing :D, ill give powai a shot!

an update, my hands back to normal, got a nice sting from a catfish a friend caught at aqsa :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome sand man.....