->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 pm 

Hey guys,

I've fished Andamans three times now, gonna go back again next year feb/march.

Really nice to see a forum up for fishing in India.

seems like the sport is getting more popular, there are some great untouched areas to fish over there, I love the place!

Caught some very good fish there aswell.

Had 6 marlin, biggest two were 850lb and 700lb, had dogtooth up to 75kg, lots of GT.

It's a fantastic alround fishing destination. Trolling, poppers and jigging all in one day!

I expect i've met one or two of you on my travels....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:34 pm 
Fishaholic

OK, i welcome you.

As far as I know all the fishing charters coming in from Thailand illegally to Andaman's are nothing but poachers .... don't care how you take it..

Sorry Bops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Santosh, it is quite possible that our new member was fishing with an Indian outfit based in the Andamans? Always better to ask before posting :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Once again my apology ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 pm 
Enlightened

hot post man! santosh Its really good to see someone concerned about their waters.

don't know what i wrote violate anything, if yes then accept my aplogies too, Bops!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:04 am 
Fishaholic

lets not be judgemental in welcoming someone to the forum!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:20 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum do share some Picks my friend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:27 am 
Fishaholic

ha sip ha sip :doubt: no that is an interesting name, mate :roll:

Care to explain :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the IA aka the Nuthouse aka the home of the PHG / Marral Mob / Powai Powermen / the Bangers / the Bongers :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:03 am 

Ha sip Ha sip is Thai, means 50/50.........

I've fished with both Thai vessels and Indian Vessels in Andaman waters and i'll tell you one thing.......

I agree that there are some unscroupulous operators out there but all the fish on the boat that I go on are returned alive, we may take a tuna for sashimi or a grouper for dinner but that is it. What this particular boat has done in finding fish in and around the islands goes well beyond what any locals have done so far especially when it comes to Marlin Fishing.

That will change though given time, it's undertandable since they have been fishing since 99.

The boat that I go on is in no competition to any Indian business at this present time, the boat is a brand new 47 foot game fishing boat, over 1mUS$ worth. There is nothing else close to that available for charter at present so IMHO rather than poaching this particular boat is doing a good job in promoting fishing in the islands whilst at the same time helping with scientific studies (tag and release of all billfish and sharks) and learning about the waters. If I were you I would talk to these guys, you might learn something about the area.

The rest of the Thai boats I agree should be thrown out, but there are a couple that work in a positive way for both the islands ecology and also the locals that live there.

Unfortunatley it's simply not possible to keep these boats in Andamans, the facilities just arn't there yet so they have to come from Phuket. A small marina, a few marine engineers, somewhere to get spare parts and then we're talking. Can't see it happening soon though. The boats have to come from Thailand at present.

There will be an article next year on fishing in the Andaman islands in Sportfishing magazine, a 6 page spread, that is fantastic promotion for fishing in the islands.

I agree some boats are bad news, but one or two are working in positive ways.

BTW I notice most local boat (not all) do not practise catch and release.

:(

I'm sorry you feel that way about certain boats in the area, I hope you can see the difference to the good ones and the bad ones though instead of putting them all in the same group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:18 am 
Fishaholic

Hi There Ha Sip Ha Sip,

Love that name. Enjoy yourself here mate. And love the fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi 50/50

Great to see you here. Seen some of your posts on Caranx and and the jigging forum. Welcome indeed!

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Ha Sip

How much does one haev to shell out to hire teh boat from Phuket?? We are a group of 4 couples.

Thanks & welcome to the forum - maybe you can educate us on fishing in Thailand, understand that you have Mahaseer there too

Viraj :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi There 50/50 ... Welcome aboard .... I dont agree with your philosophy that boats from Thailand are OK to fish in Indian waters even though they practice catch and release .. In my book that amounts to poaching ... like saying its ok to sleep with another mans wife as long as I dont knock her up .... Sorry mate but thats how I feel ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
.. I dont agree with your philosophy that boats from Thailand are OK to fish in Indian waters even though they practice catch and release .. In my book that amounts to poaching ... ...

[smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:25 pm 

Fredfish wrote:
Hi There 50/50 ... Welcome aboard .... I dont agree with your philosophy that boats from Thailand are OK to fish in Indian waters even though they practice catch and release .. In my book that amounts to poaching ... like saying its ok to sleep with another mans wife as long as I dont knock her up .... Sorry mate but thats how I feel ...

I understand what you are saying, they are profiting from a natural resource of India. The thing is the particular boat that I go on does so in a way that causes absolutley no harm to India, it only benefits it. The people that go on this boat will not come and use a local boat instead, they would eigher go on this boat or not at all, or like myself stay on the islands for relaxation and use some local boats before the big trip.

When there is a boat of equal standard and a crew as experianced perhaps there is an argument as they would be in competition with a local operation. This will not happen until the facilities are there and that doesn't look like happening soon.

At present they are in competition with no one and harm no one by being there.

As I say they have done well to promote the islands and explore their fishing potential, no other boats can reach the far off places they do. They have put the islands on the map as far as Marlin are concerned. My own catches of Marlin prove it to be world class. The trip after me they has 10 Marlin in 3 days.

These sorts of numbers will bring the islands lots of attention from the big spending Marlin fisherman.

As no harm is done to the ecology and as they are not taking any business away from locals, infact the opposite they bring $ in.

Virajchopra, the charter rate is 1500USD per day, min 6 day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey 50/50 are you for real ???you still dont get it .. do you ?? .... Its morally and ethically wrong .. its taking something over which you dont have any right ... just because theres no infrastructure does not mean that what youre doing is right ... By that reasoning you should be fishing in Alaska too ... Sorry Bops could not resist it as this guys looks like he has more money than brains

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:52 pm 

Sawas di hasip,
Welcome to the madness.
While I am no salty, I would like to know more.Especially the territorial aspects of SPORT fishing.Freddy, mate, while your analogy may hold water, if an Indian angler in Andamans wants to shell out for a 1 million US$ boat to fish from , from phuket or wherever, AND such an outfit is not available in andamans, whats the hang up? If we have to keep up with the competition,might as well go all the way...
I do read about foreign trawlers and Indian fishermen -presumably commercial , regularly getting locked up in Sri Lanka and pakistan, I remember seeing a whole bunch of Thai nationals locked up in the circular jail in Port Blair! They were id'd as commercial fishermen who had violated indian territorial rights.So, woukld this also apply to sport fishing?
Think I'm going to start a new thread on this one...volatile!
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Asif ... Sorry mate , dont agree with your point of view ...if its "officially " done with the required clearances from the Indian authorities in Indian terrotorial waters then im all for it and have no hangups !!.. However if not then its still "poaching " - whoever may want to spend - whatever amount for fishing on a 1 million $ boat -- its not about whether its available or not - its about whether its right or wrong -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:28 pm 

K' Freddy, The bulbs are going on now, but I'm starting a new thread in rants and raves, follow me there?
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:17 pm 

Fredfish wrote:
Hey 50/50 are you for real ???you still dont get it .. do you ?? .... Its morally and ethically wrong .. its taking something over which you dont have any right ... just because theres no infrastructure does not mean that what youre doing is right ... By that reasoning you should be fishing in Alaska too ... Sorry Bops could not resist it as this guys looks like he has more money than brains

Morally and ethically wrong? We have correct visas, we have clearance from the coastguard, navy, harbour master and immigration. A representative from each group boards and inspects the boat before and after each trip.

It's hardly sneaking in and sneaking out. We even have to report our position twice a day. It's hardly poaching.

When I come fishing I spend money in Port Blair and Havelock, we eat in the restaurants and stay in the resorts, that benefits the islands economy.

I shan't be losing much sleep over my actions, particulary when that 6 page spread comes out in Sportfishing mag and many more fisherman decide to book a holiday in the Andamans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

Talking about fishing in our waters. Freddie, try taking a boat out to sea to fish. By out I mean the blue waters . You will have a bunch of customs or coast guard guys breathing down your neck and not understanding the sanity of a bunch of guys with "fishing rods" that look very similar to antennas communicating with the enemy.
Try landing in Laksadweep ,part of our mother India and they treat you like an alien . Theres probably only 3 Islands where us Indians can land . The rest of the Islands are reserved for gun runners and such kind.

Talk about getting permission/ license from our Gov for a sportsfishing operation on our waters ... I think we should check with Darren & Mighty Marlin!!

So the moral of the story is.. if you wait for a properly equiped professinal sports fishing charter in our waters... probably not in our times. May be our kids time ...may be. So If you want to catch some fish in comfort and enjoy all that comes with a professional set up Just get on that boat and stop wondering where it came from.

Tight Lines

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:19 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
K' Freddy, The bulbs are going on now, but I'm starting a new thread in rants and raves, follow me there?
Axx

Ok mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:01 pm 
Fishaholic

HI ha sip ha sip....aka 50/50,

welcome to the forum! Like mentioned earlier........welcome to the nut house.

Sorry to say so but in some aspects I completely agree with Santosh & Freddy....now that you say that you have all the necessary permissions /clearances, I've no issues.

Just that, I definaltey wouldnt want our waters exploited to an extent where we ultimately stand to lose.

Hope you enjoy your fishing & hope to get some good contributions from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey 50/50 ... like i said in my earlier post to Asif .... if its officially done -- ive no hangups --- Now that you have mentioned that you have the pemissions/ clearances - Tight lines & welcome aboard once again

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi welcome and I did like ur name except I still wonder what 50-50 is it of ! Cheers...Ham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome to the forum-as long as the charters you are on follow the Indian rules and proper permits taken that cannot be poaching.everyone cannot be branded because of illegal poaching done by some of your countrymen. The devolopment of the Andaman islands is needed. Enbjoy your fishing .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

ha sip ha sip wrote:
Ha sip Ha sip is Thai, means 50/50.........

I was damn confused when I visited Thailand.. saw some 50 / 50 things. :shock: