->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Unhooking Snake Heads
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Need your suggestions!! :P

How to unhook snake heads. As once u hook them they enter this jaw lock phase and if one wants to release the fish its one hell of a time trying to force open the jaws with out damaging the fish.

Suggestions and advise is welcome.

Fish Away :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Where do you usually catch snakeheads?

Are their any places near Islamabad or Peshawar? Their used to be plenty around in the Warsak ponds, I think theyre called Sarkatta in Pashto.

My Dad says some foreign snakehead was introduced in NWFP in the sixties. I think it was the Amur Snakehead, but the Vellayati Sarkatta didnt sucessfully take hold.

The only instance I know of a snakehead taking a lure was a gentleman who caught one on a plug at Ganda Singh in Kasur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:10 am 
Fishaholic

Fateh,

Snake heads are found in certain areas around Islamabad. In small inlets and rivers near Sanjani, Wah etc. But the populations are dimishing as lots of illegal activities are going on.

THe spots are not gud for lures but people catch them on live bait. (Chilwas and Frogs Etc).

But there are alot of reports of snake heads being caught in Tarbella as they were introduced a few years back. I saw one specimen of around 3-4 Kgs this year caught by angler of Wah at sirin on live bait.

By the way did u go to that secret place?????? any luck????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm 

Sam,
We mostly use some artificial lure down in south India-speaking for a few of us...the common ones are 'scum frogs' and its variations.Easy to get the hook out most times...The one murrel i got here near Delhi was again with the scum frog :)
But murrel I'm told, will take any/many lures, so I guess you have to have a plastic hook remover or a decent, long nose plier.
The last bite I had was an almighty splash, and the murrel was gone with my scum frog! Am down to my last, as the two smaller buggers melted in the heat (they were the solid rubber type from UK) . and a damn sight tastier too ;) as the spate of hooksets I had will testify. :lol: 8)
Waht do you use for murrel?
Incidently, i was wondering if there was any scope in using the bottle of Kewra I saw in the kitchen cabinet-after reading about your bait mix, I will now break open the bottle.I have been thru honey, vanilla, dog food, hing, jeera for ground baiting carp! :oops:
Havent yet tried our magic man Gavin's booze ground bait recipe-soon I shall! :oops:
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

A touch of cod liver oil should help :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 am 
Fishaholic

Havent been to the secret river yet. I'll let you know when I do though!

As for the snakeads that have been introduced to Tarbella, are they the local species of sawl (Channa Marulius) or the foreign one (most probably Channa Argus)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:30 am 

Bops, Cod liver oil for the bait or for Gav? :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:24 am 
Fishaholic

El,

If you look at image gallery ...forbes sagar..

Derek was using some fancy lure and the murral were going for it like crazy... thats after they decimated two of his frogs :lol:

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:11 am 
Fishaholic

Jude they are called Lunker lures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Yeah, Owen. Thats the one .
Looks like 003 but colored like 096 green.

around USD 4.00 at Cabelas.

Wonder when I am going to get around that online shop.

presently I am looking at someone who I can ship it to in US and then ask them sento d by courier to India.

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

wat's the exact size of these lures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Jude check out fishusa.com they deliver to India.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

My suggestion is just let the fish lie on the ground and soon enough the murrel will unhook himself and to the extend of leap frogging back into the water. Keep the murrel twenty feet away from the water and within the next fifteen minutes he is gone.

I always carry a set of nose pliers, for cutting the line/hook if necessary or just whilst holding on to the fish and use to pliers to remove the hook.

Owen any suggestions. please. [smilie=headfuck.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

The best way to make unhooking a murrel easy is to make sure it does not swallow the hook.

You can do that by using a bigger hook and bait. And by striking at the first bite. They are greedy little buggers with big mouths so they swallow everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Vijay and I were at Forbes Sagar May 5 / 6. He was using my Scum Frog and I was on the Mepps. The Scum Frog got all the hits but the hook set was very deep in the mouth / throat and we needed the pliers to get the hook out and release the fish. It was difficult and I am sure we damaged the fish although they swam away.

My earlier experience with Mepps is far less damaging as the hook set is on the lip and mouth. I recall only one instance when the Murrel swallowed the Mepps No.4 deep and the damage was so great that we decided to keep the fish for the table.

Scum Frogs are great as they do not get snagged in weed infested waters, but my experience(first) was:
- Get strikes
- Damage fish if you plan to release them.

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
My suggestion is just let the fish lie on the ground and soon enough the murrel will unhook himself and to the extend of leap frogging back into the water. Keep the murrel twenty feet away from the water and within the next fifteen minutes he is gone.

I always carry a set of nose pliers, for cutting the line/hook if necessary or just whilst holding on to the fish and use to pliers to remove the hook.

Owen any suggestions. please. [smilie=headfuck.gif]

Yeah tickle his funny bone till he spits out the hook. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Jude wrote:
Yeah, Owen. Thats the one .
Looks like 003 but colored like 096 green.

around USD 4.00 at Cabelas.

Wonder when I am going to get around that online shop.

presently I am looking at someone who I can ship it to in US and then ask them sento d by courier to India.

Jude

Your wish has been fulfilled I picked up a lunker bait for you and for Bops, so you can try that out on your next trip, test it out and post your own verdict here.

Lunker baits are made with Single hooks, and doesnt get snagged as much because of the rubber strands around it, The trick is to cast let it sink and do a fast retrieve guranteed strike very easy to unhook since its a single hook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks santa (Derek) :D

Besides the SHIMANO 6500 U got me .... Owe U big mate

Gotta head for the coast one of these days.

Jude