->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Murrel species
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Can't find the post about this, but remember reading one!

So, on the same lines as the mahseer and mrigal/rohu posts, here goes for murrel

The family Channidae contains 21 species, of which 8 are found in India

I seem to recall part of the debate was about maximum weights, so:

Channa marulius, the Giant Snakehead can attain a maximum weight of 30k in India! Usually, it will measure up to 50cm, so I expect that equates to about 10k max.
It can be recognised by the 'eye' spot on the base of the tail. Called Madinji in Karnataka?

Channa orietalis is the Asiatic or Dwarf Snakehead, it has an 'eye' spot on its dorsal fin and only grows to 13cm! It is possibly known as Mottu in Karnataka?

There is a similar type called C. punctatus, which is paler in colour and can grow to twice the size of orientalis. Known as Kuchi in Karnataka?

Channa striatus, or the Striped Snakehead grows as big as the average Giant Snakehead, but appears to have a much longer head due to the dorsal fin starting further back on the body. It doesn't have an 'eye' spot.
Possibly known as Pooli-kuchi in Karnataka?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Channa marulius is commonly known as Avalu (owlu) meenu here in karnataka. In malvalli it is called burray meen.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:13 am 
Fishaholic

Up North, we get the following:
Channa orientalis (max size caught 14cms, have heard of a couple of cms more). Matched it scale for scale and fin ray for ray. No ocellus (eye spot) on adults but my 6cm juveniles did have them near the tail end of the dorsal fin.
Channa striatus: biggest seen in the fish market around a foot long. Not as colourful as the above.
Channa leucopunctatus: in '04, a local fisherman caught one on legered worm, 10.780kgs (digital scales at the shop), 2kms above Okhla in Delhi (unbelievable, but the fish breathes air direct, hence survive the pollution. Oh yes, the oral cavity was Black. Toxins?). Have caught a 17" specimen from the Chambal near Ranthamhore on a quickie trip. Pretty fish.

Okay, Ved Shenag's big murrel and all that, how many of us would actually drop a big murrel back just because it impressed you so much?

Cheers,
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

If it came out of the Yamuna at Okhala, i would!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:36 am 

teenage mutant ninja murrel? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Besides being a toxin plant, the dude would probably deserve a medal for staying alive in those waters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:54 pm 

Owen,
my terminal tackle developed a strange rash after a 3 hr session in those waters :lol: ... the previous post with Dev and his cat? thats the place we call 'toxic greens' [off the NH24, close to a burning ghat.]
Sure, he must have been a mutant, or no way to survive in those waters.
Best,
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:58 pm 

Hi Guys,
Is channa really an awesome fighter as its made out to be? My only experience had them being reeled in rather docilely, after the initial hookset/flurry.Yes, they are good at spitting out the bait-If I hadnt seen it, I would have called the next guy who said it, a liar.
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't go eating any of those fish eljefe, you guys can honestly pratice the catch and release program at such locations, and give those fish a medal for surviving against all odds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Jefe,

You should've sterilised your gear in some hyper-mega-nanodetailed sterilizer. I threw the line away and Harpic'd the rod, reel and rings.

Forget the medal for the murrel, hand one to our man here for dipping his tackle in 'Toxic Greens'. Ghat, eh? Wonder what goonch lives there...

v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Hi Guys,
Is channa really an awesome fighter as its made out to be? My only experience had them being reeled in rather docilely, after the initial hookset/flurry.Yes, they are good at spitting out the bait-If I hadnt seen it, I would have called the next guy who said it, a liar.
Best
Axx

Not more than a few seconds fight is all i have had with Mr Channa. Most times he throws his anger at the lure, and finally when he realizes it is not what he thought it to be, he just spits it out. On many an occasion i found that the treble on the spinner has never penetrated anything, and the blighter has just held it in his mouth and refused to let go his prize catch.
He usually opens his mouth when you lift him out of the water with him dangling in the air, and you can say bye bye Mr Channa!

Post subject: Nano sterlise?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:30 pm 

Vedan,
I gave away the line used and the terminal tackle to the bearded guy in the pics who helped us land the fish.I shall sterilise the rods with some surgical cleaner-AGAIN-all i did was wash em with RIN.
Shoot, when I got a fishing partner in Dev, we were desperate to find a body of water and when we found this barrage on the Hindon, not 6km from Noida-NH24, it was fun...then when we sat down and looked around, [one tends to notice the fine details after the initial euphoria] thats when reality sunk in...no more prizes, one catch there was enough!

OB- the cats were very honestly released...
I read a lot about the fighting spirit of the snakehead -a thai web site-made it out to be the tiger of the freshwater fish-But I've seen a 9kg Rohu offer a full and glorious sight and heard the reel sing.Sorry to wax forth lyrically...
PS-will be in Bangalore 30-1st will call you
Best
Axx

Post subject: Re: Murrel species
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Steve Lockett wrote:
Can't find the post about this, but remember reading one!

So, on the same lines as the mahseer and mrigal/rohu posts, here goes for murrel

The family Channidae contains 21 species, of which 8 are found in India

I seem to recall part of the debate was about maximum weights, so:

Channa marulius, the Giant Snakehead can attain a maximum weight of 30k in India! Usually, it will measure up to 50cm, so I expect that equates to about 10k max.
It can be recognised by the 'eye' spot on the base of the tail. Called Madinji in Karnataka?

Channa orietalis is the Asiatic or Dwarf Snakehead, it has an 'eye' spot on its dorsal fin and only grows to 13cm! It is possibly known as Mottu in Karnataka?

There is a similar type called C. punctatus, which is paler in colour and can grow to twice the size of orientalis. Known as Kuchi in Karnataka?

Channa striatus, or the Striped Snakehead grows as big as the average Giant Snakehead, but appears to have a much longer head due to the dorsal fin starting further back on the body. It doesn't have an 'eye' spot.
Possibly known as Pooli-kuchi in Karnataka?

naah you got some couple of things wrong m8 xD

The giant snakehead is Channa Micropeltes, it can also be found in India, south west of India ^^... There's 29 discovered species right now among snakeheads.
Most of them exist in India. The snakeheads original origin is India thousands of years ago, but I don't know how they came to the other Asian countries but that's an another story xD .

Channa Marulius is known as the ''bulls eye snakehead'' and they can grow such as big as an Channa Micropeltes.

But I know that these species can be found in India:

Channa Barca
Channa Striata
Channa Marulius
Channa Micropeltes
Channa Asiatica
Channa Bleheri
Channa Gachua
Channa amphibeus
Channa orientalis
Channa punctata
Channa stewartii
Channa aurantimaculata

and some more, as you guys can see...Most of the snakehead species exist in India, and they've evolved in there for thousands of thousands years.
It's a fantastic fish :D :-)