->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 pm 

Hello everyone, I am 19 year old angler from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I'm already an experienced carp fisherman, seeing as fishing runs in my family. But I have never caught a snakehead in my life.

This is not due to a lack of fish. Near where I live there is a big lake called Dhanmondi Lake, which is our primary fishing spot. My father and I have caught innumerable carp there. In fact he has been fishing there for over 40 years. The whole lake is crawling with snakeheads. All you have to do is stand on a bridge and look down for a few minutes, and you WILL see a big fat gozar sticking its head out. I seen a few over two feet long. However I cant catch one. I've tried worms, I've tried topwater lures, I have tried dragging a cluster of hooks through a big ball of snakehead fry, hoping to provoke an attack. Nothing worked.

I am convinced this is not due to 'the fish dont eat hooks'. It's my snakehead fishing techniques which need to be refined, but I dont know how to refine them. I want to catch a snakehead if it is the last thing I do, and I also want to dispel the myth that snakehead cant be caught on artificial lure. That particular myth is quite popular here in Bangladesh. In fact it replaced the old myth that 'Catla and silvercarp dont eat hooks'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:31 am 
Fishaholic

Hi FLM

try the small the small fish(live hooked) which u find in that lake with a float which can keep the fish 1/2 metre or a metre below the water level....

I do not have much experience bout the snakeheads......but i have seen people taking out snake heads with this method.

rest spinning gurus are coming right after my post....they will tell you :D

regards
Manish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bro & Welcome to the Club :D

Snakeheads can be caught on almost anything.,Ball of earthworms ,Chicken Gut,small minnow etc,.

But the Most exciting way to catch a Snakehead is By using Spinners of size 4 & 5,color may vary as per the color of water,my Fav Color is Silver ,

Also if the Place is weedy,,,than can use a Artificial Topwater Frogs ...Nothing Like a angry & provoked snakehead Hitting that Lure,just takes ur breath away, :shock:

Also check the Murrall Thread for More info from Snakehead Masters in here... :D

Try these ....& let us know if successful...

PS: Please share your Carp fishing stories & Pic's :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:26 am 
Enlightened

Hi Bro

I too am from Dhaka and I am familiar with Dhanmondi lake. However, it is a seriously polluted (despite the latest facelift) piece of water and has a tremendous algal bloom. Lure fishing requires a reasonable clarity of water or a great deal of "noise" from the lures and a greater deal of patience. The best bet for "gojar "Channa marulia" is as suggested, a live hooked fish on a short tether: either a large float strong enough to prevent the live bait form pulling it under or on a "jhilla" i.e. a fish hooked live and put on a strong line and a short bamboo rod stuck into the bank so that the fish on the hook swims just below the surface of the water (with the dorsal fin exposed. When a gojar strikes it hooks itself (not the most sporting of approaches).

I would be delighted to meet you.

Please send me a PM.

Thanks and the best of luck.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 pm 

Your right. Seriously polluted, but it's fifteen minutes from my house. Pollution is irrelevant. I'll try the live bait method. I'll post pics when I go fishing again (probably February).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi FLM!!!!

I think if u should introduce yourself then it will be better for us to help.

do it in introduction forum.....hope to see it soon

cheers
Manish

Post subject: total failure
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 pm 

I tried catching the snakehead using the live bait method. I could see snakeheads coming up to breath, but none of them ate the bait. What gives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:22 am 

Hi, FLMKane,

Snakehead is cautious. But you are using live-bait, then time will assure your success. If you are using dead-bait. It's much better to use moving fish or frog.

I'm from Japan. I envy your location for fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:26 pm 
Enlightened

Hi,

Did you try using a live cockroach?? It had worked for me once. Bait them on and let it floating close to any structures around the lake. Also make sure you dont kill them in the process. Try to make sure the fish cannot spot you, as over the period of years the fish will start associating with the fact that Human=Danger!!!! :evil: :-) .

Regards
Prabin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

live cockroaches floating over surface is a good bait for grass carps too :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm 

Hello thanks for the reply.

My dad has caught snakeheads with live cockroaches... which is the problem. Everybody has caught them using that bait. The snakeheads dont bite that anymore. However I'll still try that. Works for grass carp too huh... well I hope it might work for black carp too. We have monster black carp in the lake, above 30 kg right now.