->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Heavy Cover Games
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 pm 
Fishaholic

The Periyar

Murrel fishing using frog lures to me is by far the most interesting form of fishing I have come across.
Sure murrel don’t have the strength, size or speed that other fish have, but they make up for that with attitude. Some fish hit with so much aggression that you fail to react because of the intensity , and there are others which follow the lure with extreme interest but turn away just when you think they will inhale the frog. Fishing for Murrel in the Periyar is completely different from what we did in Ahmedabad. The Periyar is heavily fished with people using nets, poison, electric arcs and all other methods imaginable .So whatever fish are left, like to stay in and around inaccessible structure and spook very easily. The maral like to stay in wild pineapple bushes and grass beds which grow on the edges of the river.

So to hope for a hit the lure has to land right in the gaps between these trees and worked outwards. And the fight consists of an adrenalin fueled combination of striking and pulling, to get the fish out into deeper water.(No line out)
And only when the fish is in the boat does the heart rate become normal.
Some fish we caught..
what a beauty?
Beautiful pattern.
The periyar murrel record..
Snakehead

Regards,
Rahul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 am 
Fishaholic

I share your sentiments Jeen, for me there is nothing like catching a fish on your home stretch of water. I may catch a monster elsewhere but a fish of decent size caught close to home just gives me so much more pleasure. I do not know if the rest of you guys feel like this but I certainly do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Incredible! I just love the colours on these fish.

I agree with the sentiments wholeheartedly. Size never has had anything to do with the thrill of fishing. We have caught minnows (phangas) at Bhakra on quickly rigged up flies and minuscule spinners. Each hit and fight has been adrenaline pumping.

Maral/Sol in waters you know and have learnt to read is probably the best kind of angling. Making that cast where there is little room for error, seeing that frog ploink into the water, then twitching it delicately and waiting to see an enormous swirl behind it. It is a combination of stalking, patience, jungle and water craft, and finally a few minutes of a muscle cramping tug of war to see who gets the upper hand. Great fun! I can't wait for it to get warmer and for the Sol season to start again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
I share your sentiments Jeen, for me there is nothing like catching a fish on your home stretch of water. I may catch a monster elsewhere but a fish of decent size caught close to home just gives me so much more pleasure. I do not know if the rest of you guys feel like this but I certainly do.

Bang on ...... Carter road this weekend with 10lb line , no trace wire , and some minnows ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Gr8 catch...the one's that I caught here (both sol and solly) were greenish in color...intresting patterns as well...the second last pic seems like egyptian patterns...looks like a boat to me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Lure fishing is not just fishing, its a passion, and when ur opponent is snakehead then its a game of chess, when he turns back which chasing a lure is so teasing but pleasurable.

Very nice pics and ur tackle too :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:28 am 
Fishaholic

Juss ....Awesome :D

Juss Amazed by the Colors....., :D

Looks Like Channa marulioides...or Cobra Snakehead,

Been trying to land one of those Beauties from a Long time,too Bad Unable to find them around Bangalore.....,(Need Info)

Now i kw where to go. :D

My Friend have caught a good size one around Malpe....

Keep the Info & Pic's Coming...