->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 am 

Hi everyone, I'm new here at this forum. I live in Japan.
The photo with Channa micropeltes(We call it "red-snakehead".And we call India one"emperor-snakehead") is in Thailand.

I'd like to catch some kind of snakeheads desribed as below. Off course it's better to catch the fish with lures or live-bait, but just have a look on caught fish by fisherman's net or dead fish in food-market might be not bad at first trip (supposed to be in next year).

Anyway, it's difficult to know where to go in detail. I hope someone might be able to give me an information.

Snakeheads described as below seem to inhabit in branches that flows into the main stream of Brahmaputra river. Around that area, Gauhati Airport in Assam is reratively easy to go from Japan via Bangkok and Kolkata.

Snakeheads I seek for:

Channa aurantimaculata. Grow up to 80cm. Range in Assam, India. Among Japanese aquarium keepers, this species is called "Violet Snakehead"

Channa amphibeus, Grow up to 60cm. Range in Brahmaputra river basin, north part of India & Bhutan. Young stay in rice field.Adult inhabit in swamp.

Channa barca. This species also grow large, range in India & Bangladesh. I guess this one also range in Brahmaputra river basin. I don't cling to this one because they say this species is too rare.

Cheers, Ayumu

Post subject: need advice from anglers
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:19 am 

I ashamed that I failed in submitting a photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

its cool, ayumu-san.. we all get it wrong the first time...

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:59 pm 

Gavin Ridge Cooke-san,

Thank you for your reply from related city,Kolkata to my supposed destination,Assam.