->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: snakehead for liver
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:37 pm 
Enlightened

i tried with chicken liver(1/4 of total liver) on medium sized hook,initially i cast it and left but later i spinned it slowly for 5-6 times but even then did not get any bite.........
the lake is full of snakeheads i can see them comming up and going.....
the chicken liver was freezed for 4 days..is this the reason i dint get it........this sunday i will try with parkali(dead).........hope i may get.

any ideas to do better...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:04 pm 
Fishaholic

use fresh chicken liver it will work....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 pm 
Fishaholic

If you are targetting Snakeheads go with Spinners, Mepps 4 & 5 would do the trick buddy.

Cheers,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 pm 
Fishaholic

I ditto Chris.
Even #3 will work.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:55 am 
Enlightened

i got 1/2 kg parkali(chilwa ,dead) for murrels,i freezed them and will be going this saturday morning..After hooking should i leave them to bottom..........or should i make them to float on the surface.........which works best as the bait is dead.

plz tell me bfore saturday. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 am 
Fishaholic

Here's a bit from me.

Murrel or Sol as we call them, are predatory fish. Sure you can catch them on liver and dead minnows. But this method is all about pure luck and the murrles mood. I have seen murrel come right up to the juiciest, freshest piece of liver and swim away after taking in a nice long look at it.

Here is what i suggest. If you don't use spinner or scum frogs (for whatever reason) try this the next time.

You should attach a float (not a very bright one) and have the liver hanging not more than a foot below. Cast as close to the weeds, Hyacinth or any other cover. Then periodically twitch the bait.

Don't strike on the first bite. That is the murrel just testing the bait. Wait a bit and it will then swallow the entire bait and run. This is when you have to strike.

Using chilwa is simpler. Hook a nice size minnow through the head. Cast it out and retrieve it slowly with an occasional twitch and jerk. Basically spin with a nice big fat chilwa. You can also go 'Weedless" by simply not exposing the hook.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:25 am 
Enlightened

how is it if i try a bunch of earthworms on the hook..for murrels......hope it can be better than dead chilwa as yesterday i didnt get any murrel for dead chilwa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 am 
Fishaholic

You should definitely take Ken's advise... he is the Murrel God. You have to make your dead chilwa look and behave like a live injured chilwa... you may not get strikes if it lies still, but spin and make it look like its a tasty injured fish and the murrel will attack !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:01 am 
Enlightened

i tried it by giving jerks continously...but the fish appered to be more smarter than me :roll:
the locals say that the murrel in the lake is chor(thief) :lol:

what about the earthworms...will the murrels come for that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't freeze your chilwa to begin with, it will crumble on the hook. Worms work, but you need to sit with a sunk line and wait for your line to sing!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

In case you are hell bent to catch a murrel with earthworm, ground bait your area of choice with lot of chopped earthworms mixed with with some mud and go on doing the same every half hour. I am sure you will get your murrel.

The second method is using zooter rig, where the weight of the float is more than your combined rig and when you cast, the bait is behind the float. Using this rig, you can cast your float on the edge of the weed and then the baited hook will drop from behind as if falling from the weeds itself.

I saw Scott using these techniques in my native place with deadly effect.

Best of luck, and catch your murrel soon.

Regards,

Ali. :-)