->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: spinner came thru!
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm 
Fishaholic

orissa is experiencing heavy rains and the weather today was very nice. i was chafing while in the office today and waded thru work reminiscing about my college days when i would go for a bike ride in the rain.
went home had lunch and decided to bunk the routine for a day. called up my guys to let them know that i was on my way and hit the lake behind my office. it is a virgin 70 acre freshwater thing with only one angler in it- Me ! . decided to try the spinner again. readied up my rod and tied on a swivel. clipped the spinner and in the second or third cast had a whopper of a strike. played the fish shortly before losing it. changed the venue a bit and again a strike. played it a bit and landed the first murrel of the day.a small ( by IA standards) 2lb murrel.
that was when the rain started and man it was raining cats and dogs. took out my poncho and waited (getting sodden in the process). i said lets go back but my guys said that no sense in doing so. as we were already drenched might as well continue. so we kept casting and again a strike. fought a bit and lost. i lost three before i scored the next one. this was again landed on a storm spinner (yes they made that too) i had lying in my tackle box gathering rust for the past 3 years. this was around 2lbs plus.
i saw some murrel bailing into bait fish in the shallows but i could not cast the small spinner that far. so i tried the night crawler by halco. i have 2 of these and they were yet to open accounts which one did by catching a small 1.75 lb murrel. the nightcrawler has to be sort of twitched and not popped. a straight retrieve also does not work.
the next three murrels were accounted for by the storm spinner and two were released with the rest being (ahemm) liberated. they were both around 2 lbs. i have only included pics of the murrel with the different bait. the one with the nightcrawler was not taken at the actual site. i am getting better, earlier i would have lost most of these fishes owing to the fact that i tend to pull too hard. now just hope these fish get bigger.

Last edited by Ace_doc on Sun May 23, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Thanks Laila..?...
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Laila..? **** .... you know what you are thanking for..?
you know how many are affected... just for your sick mind read this..

The storm has claimed 27 lives so far in the nine coastal districts. Of these, five were of one family in Vijayawada who were buried alive when a wall collapsed on their hut at Chittinagar on Friday morning. As many as 1,047 villages have been severely affected while 71,000 persons have been evacuated and housed in 255 relief camps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:04 am 
Fishaholic

Interesting, its seems like all of the murrel you catch in your lake in Orissa seem to be the smaller variety of murrel which is called dola in Punjabi (Channa Striata and Punctata) and no sowl ( the great snakehead, Channa Marulias).

Given the terrible suffering caused by the cyclone maybe your choice of title name was wrong, but Im sure you didnt mean to disrespect anyone.

Ace Doc is a new member, we shouldnt address him in such a harsh manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Very nice fish, Ace. There is this other fish called garai which grows up to an 1 lb max. Looks similar.

Cyclones like this one are a fact of life in the BOB. In fact most of the rainfall there is cyclonic in nature. Despite the destruction caused, most of the farmers are thanking Laila and starting their plowing activities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:47 am 
Fishaholic

tell that part about the rain and resultant good harvest to the bleeding heart who called my thought process sick.
cyclone occur regularly in the BoB as pointed out.this year laila last year alia. if they bring good rain and weather to areas not directly affected, stop cribbing. do not bring unnecessary moral policing in a post about fishing. yes some parts of india are affected badly but we in orissa are having great weather and happy about it. when it snows in leh life is miserable because of it but the locals are happy as this means good irrigation later in the year.
santosh- i see the logic somewhat but ur use of language is pathetic. just google the number of heat stroke victims in orissa prior to the showers. there are two sides to each argument.

ps - i do not think this was such a big issue as u made it out to be. there are other things u could well spend ur time correcting.

Last edited by Ace_doc on Sun May 23, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

all cyclones / natural calamities are bad.. lives and homes are lost..

i personally feel.. very bad about it..

lets just sick to fishing - WE ARE ALL PASSIONATE ABOUT IT>> AND THAT'S REASON WE ARE PART OF THIS FORUM..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:01 am 
Fishaholic

tenx thats the way to go !
the post was in no way meant as an offense but santosh choose otherwise. the main thing is the fishing and as u said that's the reason why we are on this forum.
so lets stick to fishing and leave the minds to the psychiatrists. deal ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 am 

While no offense was meant, thanking something that brings good fortune to one and kills others is bound to offend people who have a different take on life. by that logic i guess hospitals must be celebrating everytime there's an earhtquake or an epidemic, right ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

deep down who knows ? what do u do for a living? do u rejoice when something u depend on to make living happens and it is not good for many people? u decide and keep the answer to yourself or your shrink. i do not rejoice at the death of even one chap if that answers ur question.

but is the issue so big that u wanna rake it ? a simple post spelling out that the title was not entirely appropriate would have worked better. no call for the rest of the stuff.
read my post in the mulley section. jeen had mentioned laila (lila) in jest and so did i. sadly we are demonstrating the classical mentality of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
i rest my case having said all i feel. if u guys feel up to reading the next post i write u are welcome ,if u find my thought process unpalatable be my guest and do as u wish as long as the criticism is constructive and objective .
the way u guys are overreacting i feel as if i am attila the hun and have just sacked your village leaving u the last surviving member.

wonder what happens when someone scrapes ur fender ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Doc, Thanking something that brings death & destruction to many, but few fish to you is definitely not in good taste. Yes, this is a fishing forum and I am sure you are not a farmer.
when gujarat was rocked by an earth quake in 2001 , India's 51st Republic Day, at 08:46 AM. With a magnitude of between 7.6 and 8.1 on the Richter scale, the quake killed around 20,000 people, injured another 167,000 and destroyed nearly 400,000 homes, two Mumbai anglers were fishing in Murud and landed in all 70 + kgs of Ravas, how will you react about their impressive catch if they say that thanks to Gujarat Earthquake?

Lets talk about Orissa Cyclone 05B / Paradip cyclone of 1999. that caused the deaths of 15,000 people. I am sure the after effects should have resulted in good rains in some part of India or the world.

By your logic, one shouldn’t feel sad, but rather happy after a natural calamity as some others would be making money, not just the farmers, the pharmaceuticals companies, infrastructure companies.. some NGO's and our very own government and babus that will make money.

Coming back to fishing, Fish tend to go on or off bite before or after some drastic change in weather. Maybe due to the storm, you got many bites.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh i did not delve soo deep into the topic. we had a respite from the bloody heat and i wrote it. i also have a farm by the way. if u felt so deeply all u had to do was to say it and the topic would have been amended. the issue started with the "sick "part. i am going to be the first chap in when the flood relief starts in (hope floods dont come) orissa. we have been ready for the past 48 hrs. no move meant that the situation was not that grim.
enough justifications ! i see ur point and concede it. the next time just be a bit mature about it. not every thing is that deeply thought or that indicative of mentality.
now that the hatchet is buried tell me the best way to get barra on live bait. dont have any deep divers and the swim shads are not performing as expected.

also read new post header. its that easy if u are polite and positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Doc, being a true Mumbaikar, if someone scrapes my fender, he will go back with a bleeding nose.. :lol: (just kidding)

Good to know your active involvement in flood relief.. based on what I know Orissa has a long history of neglect on part of our government.

Doc, PM me your address. Will send you a CD on barra fishing.. Good information on targeting barras.

You don’t always need deep divers for Barra, my Favourite is Rapala red head, a slow retrieve has got me most of my barras. Shads are considered to be very good, but so far i haven’t hooked on single barra on a rubber shad. Maybe it has to be a case of having confidence with some lures.

I am sorry for sounding rude with some of my comments.

regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:27 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh - pm sent .

ali - all the murrel we catch is of that variety only. these are yet to reach the full size as this lake was created by us last year as part of rain water harvesting. it has been stocked with RCC and the murrel and mulley have grown up as they are getting ample food. no sign of the sowl yet . strangely we in haryana also call this fish "dholka". slight difference in lingo.

sailendar- we have the garai also but am yet to catch one on spinner. did catch one on atta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats what Humanity and Humility are all about ,, u take one step I take two ... a lesson for all of us on this forum .... responsible posting of views .... I like this post NOW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 pm 
Fishaholic

:roll:

Last edited by lionheart on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:23 am 
Fishaholic

Doc,
Orissa is a very interesting place in terms of fishing. Its got this huge Chilka lake where enormous amount of commercial fishing takes place. The great Mahanadi crosses orissa into the sea. Despite this, we hear little about angling activities for people like us! Throw some light Doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:44 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry, but I fail to see the point in this entire thing. To my understanding, Ace doc did not say that he was happy about some people's death or suffering. He named the topic without thinking about the numbers and statistics of the sufferers. On being told that the topic was not named appropriately, he changed it. Why so much moral policing? If there was a bad intent, it would have made sense but to my understanding, there wasn't any. Let us get back to fishing like Santosh and Ace Doc who are now sharing info on Barra fishing. Also let us all be friendly correct-ers and not offerder sue-ers.
Great fish by the way doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Ace_doc wrote [this lake was created by us last year as part of rain water harvesting. it has been stocked with RCC and the murrel and mulley have grown up as they are getting ample food. no sign of the sowl yet .]

What is the long form of RCC (I hope it is not Reinforced Cement Concrete) and what is Sowl?

Did the Murrels & Mulley came along with water that was stopped by a 'Bund' or were they introduced? Do the fish get natural food in a created lake or is a special feed is necessary to grow them?

These are few questions I have. Ace_doc I would appreciate your feed back on these.

Regards,

Arun

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:44 pm 
Fishaholic

RCC - rohu , catla , carp. :lol: picked up the acro from IA site only
the fish were given special feed initially as fry now they are reliant on the weeds in the lake.
the feed lead to increase in the fingerlings / chilwa in vernacular. this lead to an explosion in the number of predators who were stopped by the bundh we erected. very astute of u to guess the same. the contractor wants to try and kill all the murrel/mulley but i got the top man hooked on to angling and got that vetoed. now we shall release bigger fry to save them from these predatory fish.
sowl is the vernacular name for a different species of murrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ace_Doc for prompt reply.

All contractors who win the Tender for lake's Fishing Right do not want any Predatory fish in the lake due to their business interest. That is why special efforts are needed to preserve Murrels and Mulleys for Angling enthusiasts!

Thanks once again for answering my queries.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

another one fell to the buzz of the spinner. compared with a size 10 slipper for size. this one tried to get off in the weeds and taught me the correct way of getting these fish out of the weeds. no tug on the line , just a plain long slow pull is the key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:01 pm 

Doc..Did you not see the gold message it reads 'Do not use hooks':)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
what message ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 am 
Fishaholic

Ha ha ha. That was the first thing I noticed too when I saw this post. Doc, the sack on which you have placed you fish in the first photograph has an instruction "Use no hooks" which is there on all cement bags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:35 am 
Fishaholic

imrankhan wrote:
Doc..Did you not see the gold message it reads 'Do not use hooks':)

[smilie=giggle.gif] Nice one Imran. To good to be ignored.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

ur mercurial wit is to be appreciated. great one ! the sack was picked up when we had the 3 murrel. i had read the message and forgot about it.
great one guys !
ps i caught two more murrel after that day but they were released as they were below 2 lbs and had to reach their true size. now my brother is here i shall be hitting the port even at night to see if we cant rustle up a barra or two.
here i would also take the time to extol the virtues of orissa for angling. this state is yet to be tapped and is very rich in almost all aspects. the chilka is one well known lake and u can get most info on this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilika_Lake
what is not on the link is the myriad number of lakes and rivers. on the way to chilka from gopalpur u cross at least one major and two minor rivers. going towards vizag also has some good spans. the red brigade is a problem but if u stick to the NH it is not an issue. gopalpur and the seas around it abound in fishes as even a rookie like me can catch the occasional trevally. mackerel run is going to start soon and the locals catch them on hand lines , so can we.
sailendra, mate sorry for the tardy reply but i shall post pics of chilka as soon as i hit the area . lets hope i catch something.

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:38 pm 
Fishaholic

the harvest of the fish scheduled this year is in doldrums due to the rains and the contractor is backing out. so out of the 80 k fingerlings of RCC the ones to survive this year are going to be good sized,not to mention the murrel and the mulleys.
i think i need more spinner baits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 pm 

Acedoc
Teach the RCC to take spinners, like I taught some north Indian Sowl and Mahseer to take Ragi! ;) Looks like you should change your nic to Ace murral-damn, man you are hooked big time on murral.Bash on regardles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

u r too kind. i have been trying smaller sized spinners on the carp after i saw them caught using the spinbaits on the mepps website.
so far no luck but we shall carry on regardless.