->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:24 pm 

Hello forum!

I am a cobra snakehead angler from the united states. The murrel looks very similar to what we have. You guys have some beautiful pictures of the fish you have caught. I am curious what an average day of fishing is like where you live? I live in south florida, and we have had days with many many fish. How many do you catch on a good day?

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

A beautiful snake head there. :P

I think our Ken has landed some 8-10 murrels in a day but you will consider yourself lucky if you can land 4-5 of them.. :D

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject: nice
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:54 pm 

My personal best day is 61 between me and another angler fishing together from kayaks. That is highly unusual though. My second best day is 42. Normally a good day is 20 or 25 here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow,

Your lakes and river must be teeming with this predator. Would be nice if you can share your experiences with this forum..

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:14 pm 

yes-we have a healthy population. We have many introduced species in our waterways, so fishing can be very exciting. In addition to snakeheads we have largemouth bass, peacock bass, snook, tarpon, snakeheads, even clown knifefish. Many different kind of cichlids as well.
I fish primarily topwater zoom horn frogs, but also follow up with large spinnerbaits which work well also. It is exciting fishing. I had the igfa all tackle world record for cobra a few years ago. I have caught a few specimens over 10lbs and I have a friend who recently caught a 10 and an 11lb on the same trip which is a good sign they are getting larger. When we have big number days like that usually it is alot of 3-5 lb fish with a handful of larger specimens mixed in. Some angler here consider them a problem, but they actually coexist with the other species quite well. I have looked at pictures of some of your larger murrel and would love a shot at a big 10 kilo animal!!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 pm 

siegelreptiles wrote:
Hello forum!

I am a cobra snakehead angler from the united states. The murrel looks very similar to what we have. You guys have some beautiful pictures of the fish you have caught. I am curious what an average day of fishing is like where you live? I live in south florida, and we have had days with many many fish. How many do you catch on a good day?

Ben

Hi Ben and welcome to the madness
Yup we have an ardent bunch of anglers here, but please do understand, unlike many other countries(read US and Europe) we in india have varying regulations about fishing and because of the substantial population and a protein poor diet,unregulated harvesting of fish is par for the course.This can include netting, dynamiting, poisoning and so forth.
Some water bodies are rented out to contractors for table fish like Rohu,catla carp - RCC , as they are known commonly.I am just exploring the tip of the ice berg here, as it would be very difficult to explain the why's and why not's at one sitting.Murral or snakeheads are widely distributed in India and are some of my fav fish.As you can see , we dedicate a whole section to it here.Do visit often and let us know more about snakehead fishing in Florida
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:52 pm 

if you want to check out my website it is www.floridasnakehead.com

Excellent forum--I really enjoy the pics. I would like to find a new destination for the giants as well. I really enjoy fishing for them. Here is a pic from temengor malaysia--

Post subject: awesome
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:44 pm 
Enlightened

Thats one of the most beautiful fish i have seen. Contgratz on landing such a beauty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:59 pm 
Fishaholic

hi ben, nice fish there. i usually head home after catching 2-3 fish. :-) . and there are a few blank days also. :(

cheers.

aamir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:14 am 

I guess that is why they call it fishing and not catching!!---We have blank days once in awhile also--usually when it is very cold and we know that we should not even try, but go anyway!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:58 am 
Fishaholic

the catch depends on the activity level of the fish. when they are on the take i have caught 36 of the buggers (not sure about the species but it was the smaller 10 inch variety) in north india. here in orissa we have the striped variant and on a good day i have caught 5. at night i have hooked (but not landed) around 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Siegel,

Thats a nice Toman you have. Some of our members here have confirmed the presence of Toman in South India. Would love to introduce some fry in our rivers. Wonder if this is possible. May be some aquariums?

Anybody seen Toman in commercial aquariums here?

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am 
Fishaholic

hi jeen .. had to revive this thread... regards toman.. in kerala.. not toman actually... do look at the conservation section.. ive pasted a link there..

you now have channa diplogramma or malabar snakehead.. lucky you..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ben,

Real beauty your holding there! plus its all smiles looks as though its about to
giggle!.... guessing it was feeling ticklish.... hehehe Very nice pi of the toman there.

hamour wrote:
you now have channa diplogramma or malabar snakehead.. lucky you..

Will we ever have murrel in our waters in Pune? I sure hope they poppulate and increase in numbers soon! The good thing is if the project goes good we will have Mahseer for sure! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:03 am 
Fishaholic

hmm... lets keep our fingers crossed and in due time and in course of events .. i will need y'all pune anglers to rally support in terms of volunteering and lending a voice.. remember conservation and sustainability
first then responsible but glorious fishing second.... so gear up i'll be coming around in due time .. God willing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:24 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Ben,

Nice fish. Since it's illegal to throw them back, what do y'all do with them?

I've been fishing for snakehead since mud was new and I can assure you there ain't no 10kg specimens in India. Yes, I've heard all the legends. And that's all they are. And talking about number, I know seasoned fishermen who would be thrilled with catching one or two.

I've got to make it out to FL for some spinning one of these days.

Talking about fish, what's up with the Dolphins????? Sorry.

Jeff