->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: murrel on popper !
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

buoyed by my recent success i decided to try my lures for murrel again.
the lake was the same as in my preceding post. the crux is that the area is full of weeds and i was out of frogs (both live and otherwise).
i could see some fish jump at the smaller fish in the shallows but did not know what it was. i casted at the place i could see the strikes but did not have any success. i am a newbie and not great at casting with accuracy anyway and the wind was also blowing leading my plugs away. i cast a storm thunderstick , a spoon , an artificial beetle and a popper. the beetle. popper and the spoon were by Sv Tec (a chinese concern which had me concerned).
after around 50 or more casts and dredging up all kinds of weeds i took a break and moved away. as i did ,i saw a strike by the fish on the fingerlings. i ran back and lobbed the popper. the casts i had made earlier had made my aim better and the wind had also died down. as the lure landed i twitched the rod tip and took up the slack. i saw a larger than usual wake behind my lure and wham the game was on ! man seeing a murrel take a top water lure and being on the opposite end of the rod is a rush. after a short power tussle the murrel gave up and my gillie said that the fish is gone. i kept reeling in to see that the 2 lbs murrel was still secured by the treble hooks. it had taken the lure cleanly from behind and then had wrapped the other set of trebles around its gills.
murrel photographed and released.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt42 ... l002-1.jpg

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt42 ... rel001.jpg :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

[smilie=coolup.gif] congrats for the sucessful part-2 of the series carry on doctor :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

Oh! The feeling of watch a a murrel getting ready to murder your lure.

Need my fix now!

Great going mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Its awe inspiring to see a sol attack a plug. Often, its a situation where you are stalking the sol and the sol is stocking your plug, and its a story unfolding specially from an elevated hight.

The attack is normally much bigger than the fish. So a bigger congratulations.

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

congrates for such a nice catch.....
carry on there are many more MEAN murrals waiting for your plugs and frogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the nice catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks guys ! one question though . do i need a heavier capacity rod and reel for light salty fishing ? i have been told to get a Shakespeare wildcat 20 - 25 lbs rod and a daiwa crossfire 4000 reel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

HI DOC
In short the diffrence between freshwater and saltwater fishing is the same between underarm gully cricket and international cricket :lol: freshwater ponds or lakes house a handful species of fish wereas the sea has limitless and still new species are being discovered,once you cast your bait from the seashore you never know who's gonna taste it? maybe -- a crab or baby croaker or catfish or a stingray or a shark.Image
so choose your tackle wisely and BOPS can also guide you, seek it and you won't regret it :-)
hope that helps DOC 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

well ur right but (infernal word) i am more likely to stay on a freshwater body as opposed to sea and need a rod for occasional shore / jetty or shallow sea fishing. need to know what rigs u gents are running with.