->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Murral from Hong Kong
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Posting images of a Murral from Hong Kong. Given that I heard raving reviews on how tasty these buggers were. I went down to my favourite fishing hole (Kwun Tong Fresh Market) and bought this fish. By the time I got home he had chewed a hole throught the plastic bag.

At the moment he is being prepared (on tips from you guys), looking forward to lunch :lol:

Here are some pictures, spot the differences between this guy and the ones in your locale..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby this guy seems to be suffering from a curved spine. Have you been taking him to task for biting through the packet??
Here i have seen at least 2 types.
Will have to refer the bible for their scientific names, but a discription of the colours would be:
One variety that are black with yellow thrown in, and have white spots on them that fade away within a few minutes of taking them out of water.
Then there is the other with a diamond pattern similar to the one you have displayed.
Did you give this charley a good scrub or what ? Or is it just that guy has been living clean in a breeding pond ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

Bobs taken out the best cutlery in the house .... you having guests bobster ... the long haired pretty kind ..... when are you going to invite us over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish,

Very 'python' like markings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen,

Not a curved spine, he lays in a plate which has a depression giving you the illusion of a curved spine, handsome fish, bad photographer.
The fish was taken from (read my post again) the FRESH MARKET so yes he was in a glass fish tank with very clear water.

Fred,

Mate, buddy, friend, you are welcome anytime. All I will say is you missed one heck of a fishing trip when you cancelled coming to Hong Kong, the timing was so perfect when you had decided to come. Moon was up, fishing was great, you were getting long haired, short haired, straight and curly, and the spine, oh the spines! how curved they were.

They came in different colours too, from pale white to real dark, some of their mouths even glowed in the dark. There was even a place organized where you could cook your meal and eat it with your bare hands, no need for table manners either and no one to judge you. All you had to do was use the right lure, which you have.

MM,

Most of the Murral here come with this markings, in these shops they sell Murral, Grass Carp, Eels, Frogs and Turtles as a regular basis. Occasionally they have small mouth bass, perch, some tilapia like fish, Rudd and Chubb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:23 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Bobby"]Owen,

Not a curved spine, he lays in a plate which has a depression giving you the illusion of a curved spine, handsome fish, bad photographer.
The fish was taken from (read my post again) the FRESH MARKET so yes he was in a glass fish tank with very clear water.

You did mention it was your favourite fishing hole mate :roll:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry to throw you off mate with that "curved ball", I should have not presumed you would know what "Kwun Tong Fresh Market" meant. It could simply mean like what you thought, a fishing spot.

Kwun Tong, is the district that I live in, and Fresh Market is a Chinese wet market where you get all your fresh/live foods. The Chinese are obsessed with "live" food, so all of the fish that they get live in these markets are farmed. There is a lot to be desired in the taste of a farmed fish v/s wild because of the monotonous (may not be appropriate terminology) diet. The Murral you guys catch would be a lot tastier.

On this note, I was watching a culinary program on TV here about this guy in the UK who grows, hunts, catches his own food which he then cooks, this was a segment on Grass Carp, not considered an eating fish in UK but a very popular table fish in China. What he presumed was that the quality of water in which the fish lived was a deterrent to the flavour of this fish. So he angled and caught grass carp he then put it into an aquarium into which he got fresh water from a passing river with very clean and “quality” water to flow continuously into the tank and then out. He kept that fish in that tank for a week or more and then prepared the fish for one of the “blue blooded” locals in that area who, were very suspicious at first when they were told that the main course was poached grass carp, but once the actually tasted the “treated” fish they thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Goes to show you what quality water can do to a fish.

If you look closely at the close-up of the head you can actually see a piece of the plastic bag in his mouth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

We got no fresh water left in India neither are we blue blooded .. We only get blue in the face .... right Bobs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes Fred and also the rear from sitting on them rocks :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Interesting... what you pointed out. There is a distinct difference in the taste of fish from lakes v/s fish from rivers. Fish from lakes being more 'muddy'. I've heard about murral being kept alive in 'freshwater' before they're cooked.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:57 pm 
Enlightened

Bobby, I think this is the other kind Owen was talking about....the eyes..gorgeous!!
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Belli,

I do remember the Murral. I also remember putting back the luckiest murral in all of malvalli the next day. I hope he lives to become a big fish one day. Can't remember the name of the river now.... we must go back and fish the other place we visited. I'd love to chuck a couple of plugs and spinners in there.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful fish .... would look great in a large home aquarium ... huh Owen just like my large Arowanas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Lovely pics Belli.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Beautiful fish .... would look great in a large home aquarium ... huh Owen just like my large Arowanas

Yeah dude! when are you going to post their pix?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Ill mail it to you ... if you could do it for a Gav ... u can do it for a fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Owen - Charge the bugger .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:42 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Ill mail it to you ... if you could do it for a Gav ... u can do it for a fred

Never received the mail with the pics Fred.
No issues posting it mate!
Will post it right next to Gav's mugshots, lets see who gets better ratings :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hope the fish gets a better rating !! If I do, then we have a serious problem [smilie=grinn.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:47 am 
Fishaholic

There is a picture of a Murral in the IGFA news letter with some real striking markings, I will scan it and post it.

Belli, the eye of that fish really stands out, it was the first thing that got my attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

Owen ... mails bouncing back

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Guys,

Posting images of a Murral from Hong Kong. Given that I heard raving reviews on how tasty these buggers were. I went down to my favourite fishing hole (Kwun Tong Fresh Market) and bought this fish. By the time I got home he had chewed a hole throught the plastic bag.

At the moment he is being prepared (on tips from you guys), looking forward to lunch :lol:

Here are some pictures, spot the differences between this guy and the ones in your locale..

cool dude, looks like a Channa Argus also known as ''the northern snakehead'' they are so freaking cool man :) ! I've searched for them for a long time now here in Sweden but can't find them at any aquarium fish store, they don't import this fish so often :(