->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Barbless Trebles
yes 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
no 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Total votes: 11
 Post subject: Barbless trebles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Well its early days on the forum and this section in particular, which deals with catching Murral. Most of us use the tried and tested metod of casting spinners to catch our murral. Agreed... fishing is a blood sport and does 'damage' fish to an extent, but this can be greatly lessened by using barbless trebles. Apart from causing less harm, it also takes a bit of skill to ensure you don't have any slack, espcially at the end of the fight.

I started off with eagle claws that are good trebles for murral, too light for mahseer. And have now progressed to Gamakatsu, which have smaller barbs, that I just press down with nose pliers.
I'll post the model nos. of the Gamakatsus...... they're decent hooks.

I was just wondering how many of us use barbless trebles on our lures?

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Re: Barbless trebles
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
I was just wondering how many of us use barbless trebles on our lures?

I think I have two spinners with trebles with the barbs pinched down but don't think I have tried them. Really should give them a spin if you will excuse the pun. :mrgreen:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Rustam,

That's the way to go and you know exactly where to try them!!

:wink:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:39 pm 

Hi MM,

How are you? Have not heard from you or seen you since our trip to Kerala/malvalli. Bops keeps updating me on your exploits.

Have never tried Barbless Trebles but I more or less exclusively use single hook spinners now.

I have found that the spinners snag much less and therefore one can afford to reel in slower and also bump bottom when required. With the addition of a worm put on Texas style it is virtually weedless.

These type of spinners are much easier to remove and the single hook causes much less damage. I use the Gamakatsu Siwash hooks and these have a very small barb.

Take care & tight lines,

Cauvery Cowboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey CC,

It's been years since that trip!! A good laugh that one was... started off after Mahseer and wound up at the sea. And boy did we catch some big fish on that trip :wink:

A few years ago I did make a batch of spinners with single hooks and tried them at the cauvery. I however got a noticeable decline in my hookups. It was at that time that I gave up single hooks on my spinners, wire leaders and snaps. I'm back to good old trebles and 40lb mono leader with my spinner tied directly onto it. I've had too many snaps fail.

As for the barbless hooks they're relatively new. We now use them at Forbes' Pool for the Murral there, because we release all the fish that are caught.

The trebles I now use are the Eagle Claw L774F and Gamakatsu 47109. The Gamakatsu ones have smaller barbs. Also I use these only for murral as Mahseer can easily crush these.

I've been well... done quite a bit of fishing since we last met. Lots on the Cauvery, some fishing up in Gujarat and MP. and a bit of sea fishing in the Andaman Islands. Bit of trout in the Nilgiris, but I wouldn't write home about it.

We must meet the next time you're in Bangalore.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
A few years ago I did make a batch of spinners with single hooks and tried them at the cauvery. I however got a noticeable decline in my hookups. It was at that time that I gave up single hooks on my spinners, wire leaders and snaps. I'm back to good old trebles and 40lb mono leader with my spinner tied directly onto it. I've had too many snaps fail.

Prathap seemed to get a similar decline in hook-ups using a single hook. Perhaps Marc is doing it a bit differently.

Why did you give up on wire leaders? Never used one, just curious.

Had my first snap fail this past weekend. I was only using 12 lbs. mono. Couldn't believe the way it had opened up.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Rustam,

I wonder what Mark's upto? :wink: Either he's doing something right or we're 'all' doing something wrong.
Well if you read his last post he was bouncing spinners off the bottom.... Hmm I wonder if there's more to this story than Mark's telling us
:D :D :D

Why did you give up on wire leaders? Never used one, just curious.

The reason was that I was getting fewer strikes while using a 6" wire leader. We were down at the river long enough for me to figure out what was happening. I used some 40lb mono tied to a swivel tied to my main line and it worked pretty well. I still have to come across a murral that'll bite through 40lb mono.

Yup Rustam.... just forget about the snaps, it's really frustrating when they break.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
The reason was that I was getting fewer strikes while using a 6" wire leader. We were down at the river long enough for me to figure out what was happening. I used some 40lb mono tied to a swivel tied to my main line and it worked pretty well. I still have to come across a murral that'll bite through 40lb mono.

When you say you were getting fewer strikes, was it because the wire was presenting the spinner differently or were the murral going for it but releasing it as soon as they felt the wire?

Fortunately, I have been using 40 lbs. mono for my leaders and it's good to know these are sufficient.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:51 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

I feel it was because the fish could see the stainless leader and were put off by it. We were fishing at a time when the water was really clear.

Also the stainless leaders were silver and pretty easy to spot.... guess they were spooking the Murral.

I think 40lb is fine, anything heavier becomes a pain to tie and looks ugly.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:38 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Just a thought: For lure fishing, one school of thought (forgive ze pun) says that the weakest link should be the hooks. If the lure is snagged or whatever, hook failure will allow you to retrieve your lure. Of course it doesn't always work that way! Pity a fish with a lure stuck in its mouth and carrying its business with another treble ready to catch on some sunken snag.

Well, this is what I use for murrel/great snakehead/flower snakehead;
- Trebles: VMC 4X, or Owner 4X, smaller sizes eg No 4, 6 or 8 . 4X trebels are thicker and heavier, thus may affect action of the lure (especially plugs/crankbaits)
- Spinnerbait single hooks: small, say about 2/0
- Snaps: the ones that lock securely eg. crosslock, McMahon, coastlock. Definitely not the snap with a straight-wire lock: it's notoriously weak!
- Split rings: most are OK, except maybe those copper/bronze types. I always use stainless, and up the size if I expect big snakeheads
- Swivel used only for spinning-blade lures, to reduce line twist. I generally dislike spinners as such: even tandem swivels wont solve line twist 100%. Anyway, worthwhile getting the best quality swivels. My fav=crane swivels by Owner. Btw, there is a spinner poduced by Blue Fox (now under Rapala banner), where the metal body is fixed to the wire shaft and is assymetric. Thus, the spinner body resists line twist. Caramba!
- Leader: I almost never use wire leader, except for giant snakehead: this big fish sucks in the whole lure/bait, thus the leader comes in contact with those nasty teeth! In this case, I use a black nylon-coated leader. If I have to use mono leader for murrel or flower snakehead, it would be a 20-lb Maxima Chameleon, or 30-lb Daiwa Crystal Clear.

Max Chameleon is super duper abrasion-resistant. We swear by it for jungle river fishing and big mahseer fishing! Good friend Terry Disdale calls it "Mickey Mouse" line, hehe, but we have landed more than 1000 lb. of mahseer on this line, so we dont care!

The Crystal Clear is almost invisible in water (put it in a mineral water bottle, you'll 'see' it), better than fluorocarbon line cos it doesnt flake off under abrasion. It's my standard leader for Malaysian red mahseer; mean b***ers who streak for the nearest snag when hooked.

-KNots: I use Palomar almost all the time, wetted before tightened. For braided, I double the tag end, then do a 5 or 6-turn Uni knot.

Hope this helps!

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:48 pm 

Hi Guys,

Quote:
I wonder what Mark's upto? Either he's doing something right or we're 'all' doing something wrong.
Well if you read his last post he was bouncing spinners off the bottom.... Hmm I wonder if there's more to this story than Mark's telling us

Now boys, I can't tell you all my secrets can I???

All I can say is that you should tip your hook with either a plastic worm or even dress it and reel really slow.

With regards to wire leaders, I personally never use them. As MM said they spoil the presentation. I mainly use 8 lbs mono as my main line and a 12"-18" shock leader of 20 lbs mono. I have never yet had my line bitten off either by a Murrel or by a Walago Attu.

Talking of Walago Attu, we get a lot of these in Hyderabad. Biggest one I have seen landed is 20 lbs and I have a friend who has caught a 30 lbs fish.

Cheers,

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Marc,

Now boys, I can't tell you all my secrets can I???

I guess one can't reveal their secrets, otherwise they wouldn't be secrets anymore :roll:

Talking of Walago Attu, we get a lot of these in Hyderabad. Biggest one I have seen landed is 20 lbs and I have a friend who has caught a 30 lbs fish.

Mulley, fresh water sharks.... they're cool fish. Haven't caught any big ones, only a couple under a kilo. They aren't that easy to find on the Cauvery. I heard they used to get quite big at Hogenekal, but again its another one of those stories.....
I happend to be around (Dodmakali) when one around 15lbs was caught by an old chap called Hussain. He was using a mahseer setup, but had baited his hook with about a dozen worms. That's the biggest Walago I've seen. Another pal of ours pulled out one on spinner close to about 20lbs.

Cheers,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Walago Attu
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

First time heard this name so was a bit curious. Googled it and look, I found This

Is it really that ferocious :shock:

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

Kanwar,

"Tapah" is the Malaysian name for your mulley / freshwatr shark. The biggest landing I know is of a 110-kg fish from a large jungle river, decades ago. More recently, a 65-kg specimen graced the front cover of Rod&Line magazine here. Usually, large specimens are about 25-35 kg.

This fish is a sluggish swimmer (fat tummy), usually stays in dark locations to ambush its prey. More active at night. Once a victim is in its jaws, the rows of teeth ensure a solid hold, no chance of escape!

Feeds on small fishes amphibians, even swimming mammals. That 65-kg fellow had two turtles in its stomach!

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys,

There was a discussion about barb/barbless hooks recently.

Now that there are a lot more people on the Forum perhaps it would be a good/interesting if you all could participate in this poll...