->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:40 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys....

Last week...Had gone to Cauvary with few local friends for a Break after a long time.....

Had hooked this Beauty of 4.8kg :D in the very Ist Cast...
Was a impressive Hit on the Frog.....& some amazing tail walking... :D

Sharing some Snaps....

-Cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 am 
Fishaholic

Very Nice Viper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

Way to go Viper. That is a beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 am 
Fishaholic

Dear Viper , Hi this is Darryl from Pune .

I am at my wits end and near mad trying to go after murrel. I read ,talk locals , search the water here in pune and have done many miles to bag one . i just want to know the feeling to catching one . I INTEND TO RELEASE IF IT OVER 3 KGS .I heard they begin to breed once the attain that size.

Please do let me know what frog lure you used , ( I made a trip to b'bay , to masjid bunder , just to look for frog lures . I did try sive 5 spinners in brass and silver plating , with no luck.
I was able to locate some frog lures in masjid bunder , but they are not really good , the hooks are weak and they dont balance well on the water.

Could you post a pic of the frog you used .

Please could you advise, as to how to go about fishing for Murrel (techniques ,trick of the trade , with spinners and frog lures).

I have a shimano fx 8' rod and fx 4000 reel . i have 8lbs mono on it . is this overkill or is it ok.

Viper, Mahaseerken and anyone who would care to share some advise and knowhow , please do so and put me out of my misery.

As you can see from this post , im desperate .

Feverishly awaiting replies....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Darryl,

Suggest you contact master angler Sanjay55, send him a PM. He lives in Pune and knows everything about the place.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

here is what you should get. Ask the IA shoppe, I am sure Bops will find a way to get you some. They are called Scum frogs. And come in two types - regular and poppers. The poppers have a lower hook up percentage but the strikes, when they happen, are fantastically violent and very visible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Viper,

Very nice fish. 8)

Congratulations, :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Murrel!

I have to get one this season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 am 
Enlightened

Nice Murrel :twisted: :twisted:

update more snaps bro.. :lol: did u release the fish or took it home ,, that is a huge one .. will try to jon u very soon 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Viper ..

Dude can you tell me what those scom frogs cost .. i suppose i can order them from abroad .

Could you please let me know what the weight and lenght of scum frog is...

Thanks a million..

Darryl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Great going Viper,

I mised a snake head around 4 kgs at tarbella last week on a plug. Have ordered sum frogs. They are giant size snake head in Tarbela as big as 15 kgs. Will try my luck probably next week. Waiting for the water to heat up a wee bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: 15kilos :!: :!: :!: :!:

i wish i was there .... shaphan bhai i absolutely envy you.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Viper good show mate that's a beauty of a fish there [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Mahaseerken wrote:
here is what you should get. Ask the IA shoppe, I am sure Bops will find a way to get you some. They are called Scum frogs. And come in two types - regular and poppers. The poppers have a lower hook up percentage but the strikes, when they happen, are fantastically violent and very visible.

MKen My collection is gathering dust matey shit I wish I can do some thing about it but unfortunately no nice murrul spot near Mumbai or is there?? any one any idea :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
MKen My collection is gathering dust matey shit I wish I can do some thing about it

Rajat da.... There is pond close to my place... Am sure your collection would be perfect for it.. Send it over and I'll let you know how it goes :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Quote:
MKen My collection is gathering dust matey shit I wish I can do some thing about it

Rajat da.... There is pond close to my place... Am sure your collection would be perfect for it.. Send it over and I'll let you know how it goes :D :D

Hey what to say now :evil: :evil: [smilie=smack.gif]
I thought you are moving to Delhi now and that fluffer M Ken is all you going to need to catch any thing that bugger has close to thousand lures and still buying but you are welcome matey any time in Mumbai and use mine [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the Comments Guys...

was using the Scum frog Poppers & 15lb Braid....

Had brought the same from IA Shoppee ,
If i had released the fish ...would hve been in a position to post this report :? ,as had made my friends walk for 2 km for this fish :P

shaphan bhai & all the other members.....pls try to get a snap of murrall of anything above 7 Kg :D .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
shaphan bhai & all the other members.....pls try to get a snap of murrall of anything above 7 Kg .....

Sure will do mate. I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen the monsters cruising in the clear water of Tarbella Dam.

Hats off to the adaptability of this ambush predator. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 am 
Fishaholic

dear shaphan bhai, when you do hook those big ones , please do release them..

it would be our way of saying thanks and giving due respect for all the things they may have gone through to be that big.. besided such big ones were a thing of my grandfathers days , he would tell me great stories about them. its a pity there anr'nt many biggies left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 pm 
Fishaholic

hamour wrote:
dear shaphan bhai, when you do hook those big ones , please do release them..

it would be our way of saying thanks and giving due respect for all the things they may have gone through to be that big.. besided such big ones were a thing of my grandfathers days , he would tell me great stories about them. its a pity there anr'nt many biggies left.

Sure will do. My policy is to release all Mahasheer regardless of size or season. Release all fish if above 5kgs. Only keep a few if needed and that to only sanke head, singhara, eels and a rahu or two. I aint a great fish eater as it is. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:50 am 
Fishaholic

Guys. If any of you have a chance to source lures from the US, may I suggest that you try the Heddon Moss Boss for murrel. This lure is weedless and can be worked very slowly on the surface but when you get to a clear patch, it will sink slowly and can be twitched below the surface to torment a predator. The hook is super strong and not masked by soft plastic as it is in the scumfrogs.
The Moss Boss is my number one choice for pike in shallow water where there is grass, lilies or other weeds rising to the surface and I'm pretty sure they'd be just the job for snakeheads as well.
I'm not sure what the hookup ration is with murel on scumfrogs but with pike, I might hook up one fish in 6 hit on a scumfrog but I'll hook 3 out of 5 on a moss boss.
Oh yes - the Moss Boss is a hard lure so no holes torn in it by teeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:03 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ken for the info.

Will Try and get the Heddon Moss Boss Lure. Murrel are famous for throwing hooks, as in a last ditch effort they come to the surface mouth open with a rapid head shake. Will this lure be available in the UK???

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:11 am 
Fishaholic

I think murrel bite short on their first hit. With most surface lures it is best to tie on a flying hook that trails a tleast an inch behind the main body. This hook can be made weedless with a small rubber band. Seems to work for me. But the only problem is that the flying hook's line frays fast and replacing them is always a time consuming thingy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mk,

Being a freshwater novice can you got a picture of those weedless hooks for me. I think I understand what you are saying but, you know what they say... a picture says a thousand words :wink: .

We were trying different things...we were smoking funny things
- Kid Rock - All Summer Long :lol:

Working with the music blasting mate, warming up for the Friday evening/night/early morning bash :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catching Walleye from the Dock...watching waves roll off the Rocks ... :wink:

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan.
You'll struggle to find a lot of lures in UK tackle shops but you can order them online in the UK from the likes of HarrisSportsmail. I doubt they'd ship to India though.
the lure is available in two sizes with the smaller one probably being the best bet for murrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
Thanks Ken for the info.

Will Try and get the Heddon Moss Boss Lure. Murrel are famous for throwing hooks, as in a last ditch effort they come to the surface mouth open with a rapid head shake. Will this lure be available in the UK???

Cheers

BTW Shaphan / guys checked the Moss boss lures surprisingly they are available on Cabela's both the sizes and five colors colors just for the info if any one wants them . M ken let me know if you want some then we can order together wifey has taken away all my cards so we can use yours :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

hahahaahah about the cards. But you were going nuts so the Missus has done the right thing. I predict Citibank will lose a few more billion now.

About ordering. hahahahah again. And too late mate. I ordered yesterday so give me a month or so and I'll be melting plastic again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
hahahaahah about the cards. But you were going nuts so the Missus has done the right thing. I predict Citibank will lose a few more billion now.

About ordering. hahahahah again. And too late mate. I ordered yesterday so give me a month or so and I'll be melting plastic again.

%$%^@#&*(*%^$%$#$@# grrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:34 pm 

Hi Dada, In December would be the right time for sighting the Murrel. The darna dam is now over the water mark you dont have to go to darna but you need to stay at darna hotel in which we stayed. The water is till the road now so you can try your luck, along with it is the beauty of the mirgreing birds dont forget to take your handy cam or camera along. The murrel is all over the place but to get him out would be the doing the giggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:16 am 

I was Murrel/Snakeheadfishing in September in thailnd near Chang Mai.
Got the luck to catch a good fish with video.
In february i come to cauvery. Are there many sneakheads? Quite an impressiv fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawcpa-u ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlI_fQzC ... re=related

:-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:26 pm 

Conratz very nice murrel fentastic fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm 

Well that's a great catch, if it has to bite you get it instantly, murrels are very shy and very sensitive to noise/ movement on the shore, so my compliments for a above average size of your catch, I want to throw a question to all learned anglers, " Does catching murrels coincide with a certain time of the year", it may be a mere coincidence that we have hooked quite a few murrels for the last one month or so { around Hyd}, which is quite very different from the cats which keep on srtiking irrespective of the season/month of the year. Also we have landed murrels on spoons/spinners/frogs...so nothing much to choose from except for the fact that if the water is heavily covered with vegetation, then some of the lures becomes useless, frogs are prefferred in such enviornment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:36 am 
Fishaholic

NICE!
Hey you people! :D
I'm heading India tonight! I'm getting my fishing gear ready for the trip right now ;) !
I just have to catch a snakehead this time! Hope to get one like "Viper".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

That one nice and beautiful Monster :D

Congratulation for such a catch! :P

Although its two years ago, may be you will still remember the experience gone by...

Thanks and Regards
Arish!