->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Need information
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

I just found a freshwater lake close to where I live that has Tarpon (Ox eye herring) and Murrel in it.

Does anyone know if Murrel take poppers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

For sure! There are a lot of great youtube videos. Do a 'Snakehead' or 'Tomar' search. I use both the regular scum frogs and the poppers. And the extra splash the poppers make seems to excite them more. You need to stick to areas that have cover so being weedless makes life easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

Yes they take poppers as Ken said.
Well..Sometimes they can be slow on hooking poppers but I guess that you can live with it.

Post subject: Re: Need information
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
I just found a freshwater lake close to where I live that has Tarpon (Ox eye herring) and Murrel in it.

Does anyone know if Murrel take poppers?

Bob .. check what they are feeding on in the lake ... Poppers should work but not the very large or noisy ones .. I would try something that I saw an old fisheman do .. He had taken a large eraser ( around an inch and a half )... rubber that we used to call in school .. and he had used it ie rubbed it till it was conical in shape ... and flat on one side of the head ... he had wired it up with small trebles and believe me it worked ... it sat flat in the water ie did not stand on its head like other popper do and he kinda did the walk the dog with the rod tip moving side to side with very small rips on the surface and he was catching murrel with the contraption

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject: Re: Need information
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
He had taken a large eraser ( around an inch and a half )... rubber that we used to call in school .. and he had used it ie rubbed it till it was conical in shape ...
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

dont want to leaave any chaces of miss-interpretation for anyone :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys, I have some small poppers so just wanted to know if Murrel did take them as I was planning to use em on the Tarpon. Have some popper flies too 8)

Fred, thanks mate :lol: I'm not American, understand "Rubber" :lol: all four interpretations :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Going Murrel Fishing tomorrow for the 1st time, will be fishing with lures only. unfortunately I do not have any artificial froggies.

Any spinning tips for Murrel will be appreciated. What about feeding times and water temp? Is the morning better than the evening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

bobby, you got mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:29 am 
Fishaholic

Tell us :)
How was you're fishing trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

First of all thanks guys for all the help and PMs. I did feel a bit out of my element fishing in a Lake after fishing all my life in salt water. It was a lazy, overcast day yesterday, the temperature was good, just the perfect day for freshwater fishing, something that I had imagined given my limited(Zero) experience on a lake.

I fished at a place called Kowloon Reservoir, Kowloon Reservoir is one of the many man made reservoirs here in Hong Kong, it had be physically dug a few decades ago to collect rainwater and spring water. It surrounded by hills that abound with Makaks in the thousands, they are everywhere. The lake is surprisingly devoid of natural structures you would find in natural lakes, no large rocks in it, no wooden trunks nothing. Even though the place around it is wild, (extremely wild by Hong Kong standards, we saw a large wild boar about 20 meters away from us when leaving) the lake is even devoid of water plants. There were a few shallow ditches I could see where I stood and spun at them from several angles to no result. There was some feeding that I saw, presumably black bass and Ox-eye herring, but I could not induce a strike. My son lost the only spinner we had where the bail arm shut down during a cast, which looked like the most likely lure to induce a strike. I tried spoons, poppers and minnows to no avail.

The lake holds Black Bass, Toman, Ox-Eye herring perhaps Arowana for predators and some carp. I need to learn how to access more places in that lake from where I can fish, the problem is the lake is between hills and I need to find all the pathways that would lead me to some of the banks, I tried yesterday tracking about 1/4th around the lake but could only find one access route. There were loads of tadpoles in the lake and some small fish that I identified as cloud mountain minnows. The way the lake is constructed, it is impossible to walk the entire bank of the lake from the shore.

To cut a long story short, I have to give that a shot again next Saturday. Here are some pictures of the lake. My camera was on the wrong setting so the pictures are not great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:16 pm 
Fishaholic

I used to live in Hong Kong back in the late eighties early nineties. I dont remember that much, but I do remember going fishing with my father in some resevoir in the New Territories. Is this the same one?
I told my dad did not know that their were many predatory fish there, so he used to concentrate on carp fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

There are several Reserviors in the New Terrotries, this is one of them, quite a popular one though, could be the same one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 pm 
Fishaholic

keep it up bobby looking forward to some great news [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Get yourself an inflatable boat or a porte-boat ( http://www.porta-bote.com/ ).

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:24 am 
Fishaholic

Boats are not allowed in these reservoirs Rusty. We have got to do it the hard way, treck all around it over the hills to access places we want to fish. Anyway my Son is not 14 and good company. Reminds me so much of when my younger brother and I used to go out together.

I have only got next Sat to fish in any reservoir as the season closes at the end of this month. However the good news is at the Ravas season starts next month where I will be in my element.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Had another unsuccessful trip to Kowloon Reservoir, took my son and one of his friends along. The water colour was wonderful but I did not expect to catch anything on this trip as it was a bit to cold with strong wind blowing across the reservoir. Managed to trek the banks this time and found some promising spots. Anyway the season finishes this month and will have to wait another 6 months to hit any freshwater body in Hong Kong.

Hopefully I hit some Ravas next week in the salt.

Was lucky this time though got to see a family of wild pig about 20 feet away and they would not even scoot. No large boars only females and piglets. Here are some pictures:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey bobby some very nice pictures there mate good show [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Was lucky this time though got to see a family of wild pig about 20 feet away and they would not even scoot.

Hey Bobby, Great pics!.. 20 feet is close enough(for either specie to run!! hahaha).I guess they are used to seeing people around.I can't imagine getting that close to the ones in the wild.Real scary stuff man.

All the best and Eagerly awaiting your ravas! report.

Regards,
Madhur.