->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:53 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Gurus,

Any one tried cockroachs or bunch of them for Murrels? :roll:

We all have pleanty of them in our kitchen.

Will it work?

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

use them the way you would grasshoppers!!! one on the hook, not a bunch with the legs snipped off on one side... you might have a problem casting out with them on spinning tackle... switch to fly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:48 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestion.

Shall we pic cocroach with wings or those without.

We have both kindas every where and while casting they should be serverd with Wings? I think it will attract fish more.

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:41 am 

Anoop, murral are instinctive predators-zap anything that looks tasty, even with a full stomach.Last week,I had a 4 kg murral take a spoon-thats the only bait i had ready on my rod when i saw him come up for a breather-so i cast the spoon -eljefe 2'' brass and silver shallow diver and brought it up within a foot of him and- bang!
so take a cockroach-live- snip off the legs on one side-mount it oon the hook and try your luck.
it will make him swim in circles frantically and attract mr. murral,problem is you may not be able to cast out very far because of the low weight of the cockroach-.If you attach weights, the coackroach will sink! we want him on the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 am 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Last week,I had a 4 kg murral take a spoon

Are you sure it was 4 kg or should I change your name to Add-a-kilo-Ali?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Wow! COCKROACHES! A blast from my past. We used to sit outside the kitchen waiting for them to emerge in the night. By morning we had enough to hit okhla on our cycles.

Here's what I learnt. They are great bait. Smelly stuff that attracts every kind of fish and the occasional kingfisher. Hook one through the stomach and pull him through the hook. The second one should be threaded much like a worm so that the entire body covers the hook.

Do not pluck their legs off! They just stop wriggling and die too fast. The trick is to have just enough weight so the line sinks but still leaves the top roach able to pull the line around.

The roaches should not be fished deep. A foot and a half after a float max.

The wingless ones are the best! And so are the casters that you would find in dark places like lofts, behind old newspapers, etc.

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:56 pm 

Awesome ken, real been there done that stuff! ;)

Rustam-dont forget water magnifies by 0.25%, 8) + my poetic licence as an angler...
so I'm guesstimating after due allowance -and going by some of your pics where a murral looking 6-7kg was actually about 3-4 kg! but this was a big fluffer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:43 pm 
Enlightened

Eljefe,

It seems I was correct.

Was little hasitant while thought of Cocroach to ask on Board.

Nice description.

Will try cockroachs this week end.

Thanks to you all!!

Anoop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:29 pm 

hi,
have caught plenty of murrel using roaches.Use only the fully grown ones with wings.They have to be alive .Use some weight attached a foot away from the hook.The funda is to cast the cockroach bait ,let it sink to the bottom and leave the line absolutely free from any obstruction.Let the murrel take the bait for atleast 3-4 feet before u lock the bail and give a hard stike.My village boy catches murrel by this method minus the rod .He let the murrel take the bait a little distance and then gives the 100 lbs line ,he uses,a heavy jerk and literally drags the murrel out .....its for the pot.Use the Mustad baitholder nickel coloured Size 1 ringed hooks for best results --these hooks are slightly bent at an angle and u will never miss a stike....safe fishing