->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC+05:30




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:55 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am
Posts: 180
Location: Sweden
Well I started this thread so everyone can know what kind of lures everyone use when they catch snakeheads ;) !

So It would be nice if everyone could show some pictures of the lures. :)


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:16 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Hot Hot Hot!!
Chicken Liver on a 1# hook works too.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:03 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:32 am
Posts: 687
Location: Coonoor
Mepps #3 and #4 gets the most catches in the lakes in shollow weedy inlets and bays


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:03 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:17 pm
Posts: 776
I've caught them on spinnerbaits. The shape of the wire arm gives a degree of protection against getting hung up on logs and weeds and allows you to fish sub surface where snags are present.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:58 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Islamabad Pakistan
turtles hooked me always on Chicken Liver :(


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:39 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Just outside New Delhi
FaakhiR Rizvi wrote:
turtles hooked me always on Chicken Liver :(


The Toitle King is dead. Long live the new Toitle King!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:14 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:19 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Hyderabad, India
If you haven't tried Earthworms then try chicken gut. This is a good bait for Murral & masheer. User two hooks of medium size and see the image below.

http://www.mcube.net/images/hook14.jpg

Cheers
Salim


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:33 pm
Posts: 32
Location: hyderabad
Aircut64 wrote:
Well I started this thread so everyone can know what kind of lures everyone use when they catch snakeheads ;) !

So It would be nice if everyone could show some pictures of the lures. :)

use aglia mepps size 4 and 5 never let yo down


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:36 am
Posts: 10
Location: USA
What color mepps are you using?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:04 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am
Posts: 180
Location: Sweden
Can you guys give me some advices how to catch snakeheads on the bottom of the ponds ^^ ?

***** Your post has been moved here. Please do not start a new thread everytime you want to ask a question about snakeheads, make a new post in one of your existing threads *********


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:13 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:39 am
Posts: 1601
Location: Mumbai / India
Aircut64 wrote:
Can you guys give me some advices how to catch snakeheads on the bottom of the ponds ^^ ?

***** Your post has been moved here. Please do not start a new thread everytime you want to ask a question about snakeheads, make a new post in one of your existing threads *********


Drain the pond ????? Soorry could not resist that one ... fluff im sounding like GRC ... need a makeover


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 355
Location: rawalpindi, pakistan
Quote:
FaakhiR Rizvi wrote:
turtles hooked me always on Chicken Liver


The Toitle King is dead. Long live the new Toitle King!



so when is the crowing cermony of the New Toitle king :wink:

Mk it must be real good to get rid of the curse :wink:


On a serious note I think Mepps 3,4, and 5 are te best[/quote]


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:06 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:12 am
Posts: 124
Location: The Great State of Texas
junaid wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:
Well I started this thread so everyone can know what kind of lures everyone use when they catch snakeheads ;) !

So It would be nice if everyone could show some pictures of the lures. :)

use aglia mepps size 4 and 5 never let yo down


Mr.Junaid, can you please tell to me how you catch these maral and what colour Mepps is best? And from where from you get them?
Thanks


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:08 am 
Offline
Fishaholic

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:32 am
Posts: 687
Location: Coonoor
Hi Junaid
have you tried a tackle shop for Mepps??


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:41 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am
Posts: 180
Location: Sweden
Well have anybody tried to fishing snakeheads with rods wich hav'nt a reel?

aka new beginner rods ^^


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 pm 
Offline
Enlightened

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Jabalpur MP India
Hi, Aircut,

We have tried to catch Snakehead without reel and even rod, is very common in central and north India its very successful too.

Method goes as:

Take a mono or any line that can hold a snake head, go for some frog, hang after him, hook it on the frog back if it’s big, if small do not hook on back else hook will penetrate the frog and it may die!

Or

Tie hook so that it remains on such a position if Snake head bangs on frog, hook could be set well, you can use thin line to tie hooks on the waist of frog.

Look for some location where you can hang that line such a way on any tree branch or snag so that frog remains on the top of water, can swim in very limited area and with every escape moment or struggle to get rid, frog will make disturbance on water surface.

This will attract the Snake head to attack on it.

This method is popular in central and north part of India, Locals specially leave this live bait in evening time, when the fish go for feeding.

Don’t get surprised if you get other species also!

Anoop


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:32 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am
Posts: 180
Location: Sweden
FineBaba wrote:
Hi, Aircut,

We have tried to catch Snakehead without reel and even rod, is very common in central and north India its very successful too.

Method goes as:

Take a mono or any line that can hold a snake head, go for some frog, hang after him, hook it on the frog back if it’s big, if small do not hook on back else hook will penetrate the frog and it may die!

Or

Tie hook so that it remains on such a position if Snake head bangs on frog, hook could be set well, you can use thin line to tie hooks on the waist of frog.

Look for some location where you can hang that line such a way on any tree branch or snag so that frog remains on the top of water, can swim in very limited area and with every escape moment or struggle to get rid, frog will make disturbance on water surface.

This will attract the Snake head to attack on it.

This method is popular in central and north part of India, Locals specially leave this live bait in evening time, when the fish go for feeding.

Don’t get surprised if you get other species also!

Anoop




Hey thanks :D ! I'll try it out :D !


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:08 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am
Posts: 180
Location: Sweden
This is a pretty interesting video

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01649.html


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:02 am
Posts: 40
Location: Florida, USA
Aircut64 wrote:


Air, Derek is a friend of mine and has since then refined some of their
techniques. The northern snakehead is the last of the big ones I want
to catch. I will try to make a video of cobra fishing here.
For me topwater frogs and spinnerbait catch most of my snakes.

Scott

P.S. When you are ready for your trip to the states let me know and
I might be able to take you fishing.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:07 am 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Hot Hot Hot!!
Came across this website. Addresses indian catfish pretty well.

http://www.snakeheads.org/


Cheers


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:08 pm 
Offline
Fishaholic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am
Posts: 180
Location: Sweden
Bionic wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:


Air, Derek is a friend of mine and has since then refined some of their
techniques. The northern snakehead is the last of the big ones I want
to catch. I will try to make a video of cobra fishing here.
For me topwater frogs and spinnerbait catch most of my snakes.

Scott

P.S. When you are ready for your trip to the states let me know and
I might be able to take you fishing.



nice :)
Thanks m8 ! I'll tell you when I'm ready :) !


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:30 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Mumbai
Quote:
Well have anybody tried to fishing snakeheads with rods wich hav'nt a reel?


Used to do it on the farm, when we had it, the nearby dam would overflow every monsoon (ye olde faithful?) and bring a whole lot of catfish (dead rats, snakes, etc etc) into our fields and ponds
Needless to say the workers (who were much more adept with using their natural skills would get those before i did, so id go to the ponds to catch them for dinner (not much other than fish to eat after a flood).

Used to use a normal bamboo stick (from the nearby forrest) some desi line, and desi hooks, with earthworms as bait, theyl take it, no worries.. iv even had one take a piece of potato from a batata wada ;)
Just make sure your hook set is agressive, once you know you have hooked him, retrieve, ASAP! before he finds a crevice to crawl into!
Once youv got him out, handle with care :twisted:


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC+05:30


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited