->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Mono or Braid
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:05 pm 

Hi Guys & Gals (Owen :wink: )

Just out of curiosity - how many of you use braid for Murrel fishing on a regular basis?

If you do, what made you change over from mono? What kind of Braid and what breaking strength?

Personally, the only time I use it (braid) is when fishing surface lures in weedy water. I have found it to be noisy and the no-stretch factor needs getting used to especially if one is using a rod with a fast (stiff) action.

Feedback please guys.

Thanks,

Cauvery Cowboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Cowboy,

I do all my feshwater fishing with mono. All the murral fishing is with 12lb to 16lb mono, with a leader of 40lb mono. I prefer mono because of the 'stretch' which makes it easier to handle when snagged. To compensate for stretch I use a fast action rod so I can strike and set the hook. I have contemplated using braid (20lb - 30lb) with a mono leader for fishing in weeds where most big murral are often lost. Think it'll be an overkill but.

Now going away from your question..... We've had too many bad experiences with braid on the Cauvery while fishing for mahseer. The river bed is rock and this isn't very helpful when it comes to braid as it has a relatively low abrassion resistance. I've used braid while sea fishing and its been a boon. But there were no snags in sight.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

Totally agree with you MM. Nerver use braid myself for either murral, carp or masheer.
Wolf you know the river better mate !
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi All,

I dislike braid, I only use it on one of my trolling reels and that to is due for a change.

I use Mono on all my trolling reels.

I like Mono like most of you guys. I have tried spider wire but noticed that the line tends to seperate at the top most end which comes in contact with the tip guide especially when spinning. I do use Spiderwire but mostly as leaders.

Fireline is something I have come to like after much debate and trial with myself. Having put all my large spinning reels at the backend of my closet and switching to smaller reels Fireline is a good option because of its small dia 30lb = 12lb mono. I go as high as 20lb = 8lb mono and use the 30lb plus lines a shockers..

Still I use mono most of the time as I rarely go over 16lb when spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby! i hear fire wire is flat and real strong, but does not stretch. Share your experience with us on this.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

I started using fireline only last year, a mate of mine had been trying his best to get me to use it from the time it appeared on the market.

There are some drawbacks, you need to tie your line to the spool really well so that it does not slip and rotate round the spool or once you are done the whole wad of line can rotate over the spool.

The other drawback is that you need to wind the line onto the spool really well/taut or when you are hooked up the top-line can bite into the rest on the spool and Jam when you got a fish on. You know the consequences :roll:

Other than that it’s really good, it has virtually no memory, it is very limp, does not absorb any water, has virtually no stretch, very sensitive so you can laterally feel the terrain the lure is over and the smallest knocks you may get. Because of its fine Dia it casts really well.

I can now use smaller reels and so can cast for longer periods of time. Because of the small dia I use a shocker (fireline) of 50lb of about 12 – 20 feet.

I am still a mono buff but I must admit that fireline has a lot of advantages so I have 3 reels spooled with fireline. A Penn 4500 SS can hold 325yards of 20lb fireline, that is a small reel so think how much longer you could cast with that reel as opposed to a 6500 SS or a 7500 SS.

The drawbacks are also very easily over come, I only had one of them once and after putting my line again on the reel it sorted that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info Bobby. What is the heaviest available in fireline ?
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

I've had PowerPro braid on all my reels for the last four years and am extremely happy with it. I've had my share of bad experiences with braid including a broken rod. I had a take from a fish in the rapids just as I cast out and the braid had wrapped around the rod tip. The no-stretch factor resulted in a loud crack and a broken rod :shock:

For murrel and smaller fish 20lb powerpro is great due to the longer casting distance and the instant hookup that braid offers.

I've noticed that standard mono knots tend to slip very easily if used with braid. I now use something called a Braid Knot. The description can be found here.

http://www.sportsmanschoice.com/termina ... _knots.htm

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:58 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bop's very useful stuff.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:19 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

I am not sure about the heaviest line wt. but I think it goes up to 130lb, I think I recall seeing this sometime back.

I would not use Fireline for trolling with OH reels or at least not go over 50lb. Though I have not tried yet (intend to in a couple of months, planning a major fishing trip end Sept - begining Oct) it would be great to use for trolling on smaller reels.

I have not had the problem Bops has mentioned he had with power braid, all knots I have tide seemed to hold very well.

I have noticed that every one has likes and dislikes about taclke. I for example dont like braid, infact last evening I just made a note to change all braided line on my Tiagra (50lb) to Mono. What I hate about braid is water logging in the line, maybe that has changed now but I dont buy any barid to check, all the time I bought braid in the past, no matter what the maker said I always had the water problem.

I would suggest that you try fireline for yourself and decide if it suits you. The cheapest place to buy fireline is Dubai. I get mine from there, Singapore and Hong Kong are expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bobby,

PowerPro does not have the water logging problem. I have seen it in other braids but not powerpro.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,

Another thing I have noticed with Braid is the shelf life, its a lot lesser than Mono. I may be wrong.

You seem to have more experience with braid, can you clue me on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bobby,

Braid is almost impervious to degradation by ultraviolet light.

On the other hand monofilament fishing line storage life is severly reduced by exposure to direct sunlight.

Going by the above I'd think that braid would have a much longer shelf life. I do however make it a point to rinse my reel and line in freshwater overnight after a round of sea fishing.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,
One of the greatest advantages with using braid is its thin dia. This makes it possible to fish heavier lb lines on lighter/smaller reels. A trend tackle manufacturers are catching onto these days. A real boon while one is out casting the whole day.

Back to what CC had origionally said. Braid or mono for murral.... Do you guys think fishing for murral with 40lb to 20lb braid is overkill? I think murral is no great fighter and is often overhyped!

I've in the past been guilty of using 20lb mono and 'bullying' big fish to the bank. :oops: No contest! The odds were in my favour right from the start. I now use 12lb to 15lb mono for all my murral spinning. Still think that's on the heavier side.

A question.... What lb line, mono/braid do you think would be ideal for murral :?:

Regards,
Mighty Mahseer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I think murral is no great fighter.

That's been my experience as well to date.

Quote:
A question.... What lb line, mono/braid do you think would be ideal for murral

Wouldn't that depend on what's under the surface?

Only used 12 lb mono to date so cannot really comment on this. The largest I have caught weighed 4.25 kgs and the 12lber was more than a match for it.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

20lb for Murral is definately an overkill.

I have often use 6lb line(even 4lb) in salt water (I now switched to 10 because of lure loss rocks), what you need to get right is the knots as line with such fine dia often cuts into itself. This is especially true for fish that hit the lure really hard like threadfin, GT's and ladyfish. (I have never caught a Murral)

With line so light, I normally tie a Biminni twist or a Spiderhitch into a double line and then a uniknot to the lure. Even then you must take off about a meter or 2 of line after you land 2 fish. You cannot tie a shocker to such light line and the knot that you join the 2 lines will greatly reduce the strenght of the lighter line so that a 6lb line could be reduced by 50% even.

In theory a Biminni Twist if tied properly retains 100% of the line strength. I was just reading Lefty Kreh's book the other day and he says that the spiderhitch is not a good knot to tie (for the purpose I have described above) from my experience however it worked very well for me. From what fish I have caught, as small as they are, I think Ladyfish hit the lure the hardest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby!
Right about Murral, as someone else mentioned, they give no sport after the first few seconds. I only fish for them when i am hungry. 8)
Do you have any experience with Owner hooks ? I have often seen British anglers wrap a line around the hook shank (light mono)before they actually tie the main line directly on to the hook shank.
They said that the line seems to break in this area just below the eye, but could not give me a proper explanation why. Could it be that the main line comes in contact with the metal of the hook & any rough portions therein, thereby damaging the line in a big fight situation, and the use of a thin wrap of line helps prevent this ?
But if that holds true, then the same could be said of most carp hooks with bent back eyes, and i don't see this type of technique being used there.
Any thoughts :roll:
Owen 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Owen,

90% of my fishing is done with lures so I do not run into the issues you mentioned below.

I use VMC hooks mostly. Trebles, and bacause I fish with lures, I normally have a leader with a swivel at one end to the main line is always tied to the swivel.

The breakoff I was mentioning happens at the strike/point of impact.

I have never eaten Murral but I hear they are very tasty, we get loads of live Murral here where I live, even our super markets sell them live, but I have never bought them. Wife has a serious snake phobia. But any these fish are farmed and there is a vast difference in flavour freerange v/s fish on a farmed diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:50 pm 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. Judging from all the responses, I think most of you guys still prefer mono for Murrel fishing.

As I had mentioned earlier I personally use 8lbs Ande mono for most of my Murrel fishing. If the water has a lot of snags or rocks I use 12 lbs line. To both lines I attach a 12" long 20lbs mono leader attached with a uni to uni knot.

I have braid on two reels -

On the first I have 20 lbs Power Pro on a spinning reel that I use to spin for Masheer - with a 40lbs mono leader. My reel holds about 225 yds of this braid and the largest Masheer caught to date is a 18 lbs Golden at Kengal.

The other reel is an Abu 6500 which holds amost 300yards of 30 lbs Power Pro. I use this for small Masheer and Carp/Catfish. Largest fish to date is a 25 lbs Masheer at Bheemeshwari.

I like braid when bait fishing for small masheer. The lack of stretch makes it so sensitive and catching small masheer and carp is great fun. Also, the low dia. makes it possible to use smaller reels when spinning. It is also excellent when using top water lures in vegetation - it somehow seems to just cut itself through.

What I don't like about braid is that it is noisy especially when spinning and the fact that it is very difficult to spot a worn/abraded spot in the line unlike mono where you can feel the damaged portion. I lost a fish last season when the line broke on the strike - it had to be the line as the drag was set correctly. Another thing - it is a major pain in the nether regions trying to unravell a birds nest if you get one. :(

I think braid has its uses - it will never replace mono but it definitely has its place in the order of things.

Cheers,

Cauvery Cowboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

cauvery_cowboy wrote:
What I don't like about braid is that it is noisy especially when spinning

Never used braid. Can you explain what you mean by noisy?

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:04 pm 
Fishaholic

cauvery_cowboy wrote:
What I don't like about braid is that it is noisy especially when spinning
Cheers,

Cauvery Cowboy

Hi C Cowboy,

Real music to the ears when you hear braid flying through the guides with 5+kilos of drag and a fish headed for the horizon.

Just my 2 bit........

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:09 pm 

Hi Rustam,

Because braid is not as smooth as mono it makes a grating sort of noise when reeling in.

Cheers,

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks CC. Sounds like manja. :mrgreen: Must have a listen when MM hooks me up to a mahseer. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Well Rustam, you will have your rod down his trousers, won't you?

Now we have got a fish at one end for movment and noise, what more could a lad ask for :D ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Bloody hell, Bobby, what time is it on your side of the world? Two'ish?

That rod really seems to have tickled your fancy. Guess it takes all types... :mrgreen:

Catch you in the morn.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Was half way through a nice 2001 Cab Sab when my son knocked on my bedroom door with a severe tummy ache.

My wife's got her priorities right and promptly threw me out, so instead of resting on the couch and finishing the wine, I thought I would pen a line or two with you entertaining chaps :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:08 pm 

I was a mono man till i used braid 3 years ago for Nile Perch on Lake Nasser and then again in the north near Nepal to catch Mahseer upto 40 pounds.

Now i feel when you are using mono its like sitting in a bathtub with your gum boots on.... no fun.
with braid one can feel every movement and strike and the sensetive feel is superb.....

But again , if there was anything left to catch on the cauvery i would still go for mono as there are too many rocks and braid does snap easier.

I think the area would deyermine the use of mono or braid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:27 am 
Fishaholic

My dear Hotshot,
Glad to see you are visiting Hyderabad and have so much free time to troll the forum and dredge up this ancient thread started by your cohort in crime, Cauvery Cowboy, who seems to be increasingly confused about things: Mono or braid? Nano or Mepps? Merlot or Pinot Noir? Andhra Pradesh or Bhutan?
Keep the opinions and advice coming.
Happy Trails,
Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Glad to see you guys back on IA
Regards
Owen [smilie=coolup.gif]