->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello all,

I have noticed several posts where anglers mention that catches are going down in the Cauvery and that bad management by certain fishing outfits/ over commercailization/ govt. groups has resulted in fish population going down etc.

However, very often, anglers keep every single fish that they catch thats "legal". i.e thats not a masheer. Large murral and kept for the pot as are every other species.

The point Iam trying to make here is that there is no "catch limit" or" size limit" charter if you will in existence in India for "ethical" anglers.

It might not be the law i.e no ones going to throw you in jail if you dont follow the same but there is no charter/ or guidelines that encourages anglers to release (or keep) fish that they catch.

For example Tilapia are an introduced species that preys on endemic species and should be kept for the pot on principle whereas large murral in lakes should likely be released.

I am not an icthyologist that knows much about the species I catch/ their breeding seasons etc but maybe this "catch and size limit charter" should be drawn up and made available at the fishing camps for "voluntary observance".

A lot of people keep fish, including carp full of eggs as I have seen, out of ignorance. A chart with breeding seasons, size limits and list of non endemic "keeper" fish might help anglers in deciding whats kept or released. Objective: to help in the preservation of Native Indian fish species as well as angling locations for generations to come.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:15 pm 

'You dont eat fish in months with no R'

Any explanation for this ?
best
Axx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Wolf!
It's a nice idea. However i don't think that the fish population in the Cauvery are going down (masheer), it's just that the bigger fish have become wiser / moved base to other quieter parts of the river.

The dynamiting incedents have certainly decreased over the years. I remember times when gangs of poachers would drop their load into the water just next to me, even though i had asked them not to. Fishing alone, there was not much i could have done.
All that has stopped now, so the fish stocks are definately on the increase, but as has happened in all over fished waters, the same is the case here. The fish are getting smarter.

In any case, abideing by any rules, would be the moral responsibility of every angler out there as i can't see anyone enforcing this in our country.

By the way the murral eat as many fry or more than other predatory species, but are slow breeders or so i hear, and therefore deserves our consideration. The murral stocks definately have dimnished to a great extent in the Cauvery.
Anyone fished murral market this year with and catch anything big ?
I would be surprised to hear a "Yes"!
Regards
Owen
Wolf wrote:
Hello all,

I have noticed several posts where anglers mention that catches are going down in the Cauvery and that bad management by certain fishing outfits/ over commercailization/ govt. groups has resulted in fish population going down etc.

However, very often, anglers keep every single fish that they catch thats "legal". i.e thats not a masheer. Large murral and kept for the pot as are every other species.

The point Iam trying to make here is that there is no "catch limit" or" size limit" charter if you will in existence in India for "ethical" anglers.

It might not be the law i.e no ones going to throw you in jail if you dont follow the same but there is no charter/ or guidelines that encourages anglers to release (or keep) fish that they catch.

For example Tilapia are an introduced species that preys on endemic species and should be kept for the pot on principle whereas large murral in lakes should likely be released.

I am not an icthyologist that knows much about the species I catch/ their breeding seasons etc but maybe this "catch and size limit charter" should be drawn up and made available at the fishing camps for "voluntary observance".

A lot of people keep fish, including carp full of eggs as I have seen, out of ignorance. A chart with breeding seasons, size limits and list of non endemic "keeper" fish might help anglers in deciding whats kept or released. Objective: to help in the preservation of Native Indian fish species as well as angling locations for generations to come.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
'You dont eat fish in months with no R'

Any explanation for this ?
best
Axx

Its the monsoon then so boats don't go out to sea. Prices of fish are high and fish is often stale as boats don't bring in much. Also fish breed during the rain.

For freshwater its the monsoon. Again season is closed to give the fish a much needed break and its the time they breed.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:28 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I remember times when gangs of poachers would drop their load into the water just next to me
How shameless and disgusting.

Quote:
Anyone fished murral market this year with and catch anything big ?

This so called "murrel market" has always been a bust. In years of fishing exclusively for maral at this over-hyped locale I've never caught anything close to a usual bag at six or seven other favoured maral precincts.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Goes to show just how much has been taken out, and to top it all they are slow breeders too. It's no wonder the mothers are so protective of the babies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Wolf wrote:
Hello all,

Thoughts?
Quote:

Quote:
The minimum & max size limits must be excercised. We must have some but quality waters spread throughout India. I hope some private waters can be managed for sport fishing as has been done in the west.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:28 am 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Goes to show just how much has been taken out, and to top it all they are slow breeders too. It's no wonder the mothers are so protective of the babies.

Owen explain this to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby i have heard that there are guys being allowed to fish the Kaveri that bring in generator run freezers (hope none of them are on this forum).
Anyway, they have over the years wiped out the area that they called murral market, and even though fingerlings have been introduced, there is no telling how many survive the other predators. Moreover the murral protect their babies till they are a certain size (one of the few river fish that do so), but what happens to the fingerlings that are introduced. No mama fish to help these guys. Plus i hear that they breed pretty slowly themselves, as a result the murral market is almost empty of goodly size fish.

About 7 years back i remember visiting the spot, and in my first 2 casts, i had 2 fish of around 2 kgs each. I packed up straight away and went back to camp. Would have to be a cold day in hell for that to happen again today.
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the explanation Owen, much appreciated.

Owen Bosen wrote:
Moreover the murral protect their babies till they are a certain size (one of the few river fish that do so), Owen

This has caught my interest, I was aware of chiclids doing this. Is there anywhere where I can read up on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

From what I know, murral also feed on their own and are known to adopt 'orphans'.

This was either read on Francois' website or the Swiss one. Cannot recall the url at present but they are both members on IA. See the members list.

Rustam

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Read about it in one of my books. Will get back with details tomorrow if my head isin't doing a hammer and tongs ! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Inspite of my tight drinking schedule over the last few days. I am going out again tonight to celebrate your birthday with the guys.

Will get ....candles blown on your behalf........Coloumbians OK with you?

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Moroccan even better mate !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:43 am 
Fishaholic

To get back to that thread, minus the drum rolls in my head :wink:

I quote from The Rod In India Chapter 16 page 234:

" The Murral, unlike most fish, exhibits parental affection towards its young, keeping them together in a shoal, and swimming under them, and attacking anything that comes near them. This it does till they are about 3 inches long, when it turns on and eats them itself, if they do not disperse". :shock:

Well so much for motherly love. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Amazing, thanks Ownen, I have the book but never got to reading it...

We celebrated your birthday yesterday, even took care of the candles...just FYI this is an email I sent my mates about yesterdays session (SubCont CC is our cricket club here in Hong Kong, I lead the side, last years league champs):

Guys,

It was SubCont's great privileged to have Mr. Manmohan Singh's paternal
first cousin with us at Bar George, he was even accompanied with a diplomat from the Indian Embassy.

Bar George staff was very courteous and offered us free drinks that was
turned down by Gopal as he wanted to have the privilege to pay for all
drinks for Mr. Singh.

Mr. Singh will also be contributing a large (undisclosed) sum of money to
the club. So next year we may have to change the name to Prime Ministers 11.

Regards,

Bruce

PS he loved Gopal's "Gorilla in the Mist" and "Aunty Rhodes" Joke and was

really looking forward to meet Krishnan who did not turn up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like you guy's spend more time with the glass than with the bat :lol:
Rod in India is a bit oudated in tackle and i hate the way the way he uses the word kill, but it is still worth reading.
John Masters "Complete Indian Angler" is also a good read, and so is "Somewhere down the Crazy River" which has the makings of a modern angling classic.
I also enjoyed John Wilson's "Fifty years a fisherman". Deals with all types of angling, including fishing the Kaveri & some :mrgreen: rollocking stories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Actually we are the current league champs, we WERE more famous for our drinking talent/abilities in pervious years till I took over last year, out of pure frustration because the lads did not perform and had too much to drink and these were the results:
1) ICHOR Hong Kong Invitational 6’s Champions (included a few international players and the largest club 6’s tournament in the world) – Aired on 10 sports earlier this year
2) Hong Kong Saturday League Champions 2006-06 (we did not put in a Sunday league side)
3) Best Batsman Saturday League (My No 3 Bat)
4) Captain of the Year Hong Kong Saturday League (Myself)
5) 6 of our guys figured in the top 20 players in Hong Kong Saturday league last season including myself for bowling.

So we are not just pissheads… :-)

I have “Somewhere down the crazy river”, “Casting for Gold” both the book and the film and “50 years a fisherman” the autobiography in print and some others. I collect angling books besides equipment so I have quite a few of them books…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
I do love cricket too. Used to play quite a bit in my haydays. Infact Roger Binny is my cousin and loves angling too. Only he doesn't get as much time to fish because of his coaching engagements. He does come to HongKong to coach i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

No he does not, there was some talk about having him here.

We have a Sri Lankan - Lal Jayasinghe
Hong Kong's coach is - Robin Singh (does not do much here)
Rumesh Ratnakake visits in his role and an ACC representative. He comes to the bar with us sometimes with us but does not drink, used to he says, caused too many problems...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:49 am 
Fishaholic

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

hoy OB,
where's the maral market ?....(excuse the newbie plz!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:25 am 
Fishaholic

About 2 to 3 Km above Hiara, but there are very few murral left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Same place where I saw my "leopard" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Cric Cric Cric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

:twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah i forgot ask Gav, he will take you straight to the spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Atleast I wont ask you to take a short-cut through a ravine and when half-way down the ravine, I tell you that it runs through prime panther country :evil: