->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: strong knots
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi everyone,

Can somebody advise me about reinforcing knots in monofilament? do you apply some glue and if so what kind is best? Last sunday i lost a fish because a knot opened up :( .

regards,

aamir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

What type of knot you were using ?
Did it slip from the hook ?
What was the line dia ?

Usually mono is quite reliable if tied the proper way

I use 2 types of hook knots.
One for light lines and small hooks with bent back eyes.
I use the same knot for larger hooks with bent back eyes and thicker lines.

The other is for thicker lines and bigger hooks with straight eyes (mahseer knot).

In both cases the use of a stop knot after tying the main knot will help to ensure that the main knot never slips.
The little tip sticking out from the knot i usually burn with a ciggy and fashion into a mushroom head, or bite through with my teeth. This again acts like a stopper.

There is no need for the use of super glue. I for one don't believe in the stuff. Once it hits water it eventually looses its adhesive qualities.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:40 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
There is no need for the use of super glue. I for one don't believe in the stuff. Once it hits water it eventually looses its adhesive qualities.
Regards
Owen

What Owen says is true - cyano acrylate (super glue) actually dissolves in water .
If you get super glue on yours hands ,just immerse in warm water for 5-10 mins ...it will come off.
That adverstisement catching those fish with super glue is a joke !!!

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

That adverstisement catching those fish with super glue is a joke !!!

Jude[/quote]

Hey jude,
he used fevi quick in the ad & not super glue.....btw, I'm still trying to figure out how/where he caught those kissing gauramis..... :lol:

aamir, if its mono line, the size of the line matters a wee bit, but more important, the number of turns you make while trying the hook.

I usually, actually almost always use the snell knot with @ 5 turns upto 0.5mm dia. I havent found the need to fish with anything thicker than that uptill now, so this is all I can share with you.

I also know that it is quite important to pull both ends of the line while tying the knot & besides that you have to make sure that you have pushed the line (knot) tight against the eye of the hook.

Btw, before pulling the knot really tight, it would help if you lubricate it a bit so that you dont over heat/stretch the line as that may cause failure. A little saliva would do just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot guys for the tips. i'll remember to tie a stop knot next time owen. i have heard that a slow setting glue like quickfix isnt water soluble.

regards,

aamir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:01 am 
Fishaholic

No need for any type of glue on a knot Doc.
Keyur mentioned an important point that i forgot to add, which is about lubricating the knot before pulling it tight.
And that stop knot if done properly will save you a lot of grief.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Check out the thread I have put out on fishing knots. Sorree for the delay. Try them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:29 pm 

Thanks Beemorein for the great post on knots,
Very informative.
Aamir,
I had this great cast in vembanad lake in kerala go haywire, as the knot slipped and a very decent DAM spoon went over the horizon :(
mono, will open up, as it will, when its called 'prolene' , in surgical practice too ! :evil:
-Some people do use CYN, others burn the end
-Whats imp is get the loops smooth, wet the knot/loops with saliva/water
-Even pressure on the tightening pull
-leave a longish tail and tie a knot in it -CLOSE to the main knot, to prevent main knot unraveling.cut off the rest...
-or 'if you're a smoker, burn the end to get a 'glob' and prevent unravelling.
-Forgot, i've been using nail varnish on the knot-Any one out there who knows better? havent had a problem ever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I use a product called "Knot sense", to strengthen, and smoothen my knots. Is applied directly by fingers.

http://www.loonoutdoors.com/uvproducts.html

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:12 pm 

Hi Doc,

you can check this link.. pretty informative..

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:35 pm 
Fishaholic

So far I have never had a problem with knots opening out. For any mono or fluoro line, a snell knot would be more secure cos the lose end is passed through all the loops (turns) made on the hook.

In a stop knot, the end is passed through only the last loop & there are more chances of it slipping out. Thats probably why you would have to secure the end / mushroom it.

I was at Chua's place yesterday (tackle bloke....the guy from the forum who makes the rods) & he showed me a hook tying gadget that he got from Japan......same problem. He used fluorocarbon to tie a hook (the gadget creates a stop knot). The knot, if not pulled properly (in this case pliers) kept opening out.

So far I dont use pliers while tying the snell knot, but leave a little extra line so that I can hold it & pull it tight. Only important thing to remember is to lubricate the line. I learnt to tie this knot at the age of 4 & not had any problems so far.

dont know if everyone will carry pliers & cigeys to tie hooks.

Some may disagree with me regarding this take, but this is my personal experience & I stand by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

I use a snell knot while using a Mono and then burn the end with a Cig (an excuse to smoke more, I guess), but never had a problem with the knot slipping out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:51 am 

Thanks Alexis,
Thanks to you, I have this saved on my desktop for easy ref, got hardcopies in my work bag and floating around at home...
After smoking for 20 years, am on a quit trip, and can afford to type now that my hands are a bit steady :lol:
Unless some one advises me other wise, I shall continue to use nail varnish,the clear one-After salivating over the knot :wink:
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:54 pm 

Hi Asif,

No problem.. i carry a bundle of sheets with various illustartion on tying knots, but i most often use the Improved clinch for mono and the Palomar knot for Braid with any extras. Never had any slip up with these 2 knots so far.. lost a good fish at the WASI lake last weekend when the line snapped, i was using 12lb mono.

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a ton alexis and makarand. the sites were very informative. hey asif pardon my ignorance but what does the nail varnish do?

regards,

aamir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:52 am 

What your ignorance mate? mine too! :roll:
I guess it acts as a decent sealant, preventing the knots from unravelling...any takes on this one?This is what i was told a long time back and use it in the best traditions of guru shishya parampara! :oops:
I was a boy scout and familiar with knot tying, still, practice new fishing knots with a length of clothes line before attempting the actual thing!
If you read some of my early posts, i have actually asked mystic maral whether I could use a needle holder to tie a knot...now beat that!
I usually stick to palomar and grinner and improved clinch-fastest to tie.Recently used allbright for braid -mono hook up-Thanks to Vedan, who told me about it.For mono to mono, i use blood knot.
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Quick bit of thread hijack! Hi 'Jefe, did you read the stuff about the meeting in Bangalore?

Back ON topic:
How well knots bed in depends on the type of line being used. Some lines are much easier to knot, so you may have to try a different brand. The success of knots becomes much more important when you use higher breaking strains, as well.
Get some kind of large ring, one you can hold very easily. After tying your hook, preferably with a knotless knot, palomar, or grinner, put the hook into the ring and pull the knot tight.
As long as the knot you're using isn't some kind of strangulation knot, it should now be tied sufficiently well to not come undone.
When tying swivels, or similar, pass something through the eye that you can hold and tighten the knot against. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Shellac should do a better job than nail polish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Wear leather / working gloves while pulling a knot tied with braid (If you dont use pliers to tighten knots)......just had the braid slice through my had 2 days ago :cry: