->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Spent 26th and 27th at the lakes with Bobbee, Sreekanth and Pranab (Bobbee's inevitable grandson). He bring a new one every trip.
The water was as low as i have seen it, with not a drop in the falls, and the small lake down by 3 feet.
But all the same, the fishing was great.
Bobbee and i hit 2 fish on the 26th morning almost simultaneously from the vicinity of the channel, and both of us ledgering Ragi.
Bobbee's fish turned out to be a 5 Kg Rohu in prestine condition, while mine was a 2 Kg Bluefin mahseer, that surprisingly came from slow water.
The same afternoon after lunch, i sloped off down to the channel again, and was soon into a 12.5Kg Rohu. This one took me for a 2 spin tour of the lake in a coracle, and i have never been so excited about catching a fish. He looked to me to be bigger than any of the 12+kg fish that i have caught so far, but the scales don't lie.
This was soon followed up with a 6 Kg from the channel.
By this time the guards against our advice started feeding the fish in the channel, and the fishing was never the same after that.
On the 27th there were also no bites in the channel, so we tried out a few new swims, and finally landed at the opposite end of the lake.
Sreekanth(IA) was with me, and he succeeded in landing his first ever fish. A beautiful 5.5Kg Robu in prestine condition. He did miss another take, and so did i.
Bobbee and Pranab left for Forbes sagar, where the little fellow was soon into 2 small mahseer, and Bobbee lost the inevitable murral that spat the hooks out.
All in all a pleasent week end with nice weather and some decent fishing.
Still need to develope the pix, also have it on video cam. Will post the pix as soon as i can.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:50 pm 

Have fun and wishing you many great trips for the future OB, Enjoy
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Good stuff Owen, await the pictures..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:06 pm 
Enlightened

Hello fellow anglers…..!!!!
First of all let me tell you all, I am officially an angler now with the catch of that 5.5 Rohu ( my fist ever fish).
Thanks a lot to Owen, for giving me a chance to fish with a great angler and teaching me the basics of angling (starting from how to cast, how to wait patiently, how to identify the take, how to hook (I see that smile on Owen’s face when I say hooking), how to fight, how to keep the line tight, how to reel in, how to land, with all the other tips to be a better angler). Not to forget his teaching of having fun, fishing. Owen is great.
Thanks to Bobbee for his support and tips on fishing as well as other subjects :wink: , and his grandson Pranab for his company.
I really had a nice time there out in WASI, and looking forward to many more trips in the future. Just waiting for the photos to be developed. Will post if I have something more that what Owen is going to post.

| Cheers
| Sreekanth Soman
|
|
|
¿ < º)))))><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Great stuff Owen !! Did you try from the little channel in the left, where the catlas roam ?? Really feel like that place has some good potential for catching some much bigger fish, especially on the turn towards the farther end of the lake...

Once again, great stuff guys !!

Bobby - Well, another one got away, didn't it :twisted: :twisted: !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm 
Enlightened

Gavin....

Heard a lot about your trip to the WASI lakes, and all the fun you people had, from Owen. Especially the stories of Gavin the fun maker. :D

| Cheers
| Sreekanth Soman
|
|
|
¿ < º)))))><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes Gavin we did fish the small quiet corner, but there is very little water in it now. We could actually fish from the grass banks on the left side of the lake by walking around from the guards cottage and fishing facing the channel. This place has great potential too.
The big catla was seen thrice this time, but he has moved home to the fartherest left corner of the lake which has lilly pads and weeds.
The fellow scared the hell out of us on all 3 occasions. No big splashes, just a huge back and a big swirl.
The grass carp were amazing to watch. There was this fellow who kept slowly popping his head and gills out of the water time after time. They did not look like they were feeding, just taking a peek at us.
Really have to find a way of catching them. I don't think anyone has been able to catch them successfully on any sort of bait yet.
And yes they are big!
Regards
Owen

Post subject: Another weekend at WASI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Gee some people have all the luck! Thats not fair Owen! I'm sure the photos are going to show that 'fat cat' smile. Guys if you need a loan ask him now or forever hold your peace.!! Tomorrow will be too late. Congratulations Owen! and what better way to celebrate than to have another keen angler sing your praises! Good one O Alladin with the magic lamp!!
Look forward with abated breath the promised snaps.
Best wishes,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes Sreekanth - I had an amazing time there. The company was superb to say the least !! Planning on one more trip this year...

Owen - Try some softer bait for the catla.. Have a feeling that the ragi balls are bit too hard for them.. The bread bait with essence should do.. Basically a softer, sweet smelling bait should do the trick for the catlas..
The grass carp there is a real big bugger and should be near about the 40-50lbs mark, if i am not mistaken.. But forget about trying to hook him as they almost never go for bait...
But next time am there, am only gonna go after them catlas... Real monsters, they are !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Gee some people have all the luck!
Best wishes,
Glenn

Luck plays a big part no doubt Glenn, but there is more to it than just luck.
As i said you gotta pay your dues. :P
The first 2 trips to the very same lakes i caught nothing, but after having studied how to fish them with their weird undecurrents i am much more confident, and confidence plays a big part too.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:54 pm 

OB,
when you post the snaps, also do mention your rigs and tackle.
Best
Axx

Post subject: Wasi trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Owen, Looks like I hit a raw nerve there mate re the comment I made on "luck". I am sorry as it was not intended to detract from your confidence in your expertise, which I am sure you will agree is built up from having all that experience. " Luck" features in several figures of speech like "best of luck", "All the luck in the world", etc It was merely confirming you caught some nice fish and perhaps I was envious ! and the rest of the posting suggests just that. If I said that in person the tone of voice would have conveyed the right message no doubt. Just the same I'm sorry. No offence intended.As my friend Patrick Kerr quoted someting like this---- "Life is but a buffalos vapour as it runs across the Prarie"!! I agree.
Best wishes,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

Buffalo Vapour or not, you guys are a lucky bunch given that you get to fish so much..

Post subject: Re: Wasi trip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Hello Owen, Looks like I hit a raw nerve there mate re the comment I made on "luck". I am sorry as it was not intended to detract from your confidence in your expertise, which I am sure you will agree is built up from having all that experience. " Luck" features in several figures of speech like "best of luck", "All the luck in the world", etc It was merely confirming you caught some nice fish and perhaps I was envious ! and the rest of the posting suggests just that. If I said that in person the tone of voice would have conveyed the right message no doubt. Just the same I'm sorry. No offence intended.As my friend Patrick Kerr quoted someting like this---- "Life is but a buffalos vapour as it runs across the Prarie"!! I agree.
Best wishes,
Glenn

Not at all matey! Some anglers would say that luck has nothing to do with it, but at least i do believe in luck playing some part of fishing.
Too bad Bobby, i think Fred has also had a great trip with some big barra's and bream. Caught him on his way back from Durg yesterday.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 am 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
OB,
when you post the snaps, also do mention your rigs and tackle.
Best
Axx

Will do, but i can tell you that right now.
Rods used - 1. Pike spinning 9 ft 30-100gm cast weight - Used for ledgering
2. Tele Ledger rod - 9 ft - 30-100gm cast weight - Used for ledgering
3. Tele rod - 8 ft - 10-30gm - Used for float fishing

Reels - 1. Kougha - 350 spooled with 25 lb mono (grey colour)
- 2. Daiwa Opus 6000 spooled with 20 lb mono (white)
- 3. Shakespere 2000 spooled with 10 lb mono ( camo green)

Float - Home made weighted with 3 rather large lead shot.

Lead for ledgering - Spiral mounted on silicon tubing with the usual shock beads as posted earlier. - Note the lead weight is much less than what is used for mahseer. This ensures that even the faintest bites are registered, but the down side is that they tend to roll around initally, till they settle in the weird currents of the lake.
Other types of lead could be used, but they are likely to get badly snagged in the weeds that are in abundance in the lake, and that would mean a coracle ride to retrieve the same, and hence disturb the water and the fishing.

Hooks - Size 8, 9, 10 carp hooks.
Bait - Ragi laced with Asafotedia/Jeera/Pistachio etc.
Cheers.
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

OWEN - PICTURES, MATE !!!!????? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Still in the camera matey. Need to catch some mermaids on the rest of the film to maintain continuity :lol:
Give me a day or two
Regards
Owen

Post subject: WASI LAKES
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:57 pm 
Fishaholic

GAV Owen Sri.

The luck (I) was fishing along with them. HA! HA! The fish I caught did not put in much of a struggle, it just smelt Owen and timidly came in. Thats why owen is so damn successful.

Gav missed u there along with Robby and Bharat and your antics.

This time we travelled in a Santro and the car was packed (half of the back seat} with Owen`s gear thinking of buying a SUV, if i have to go with him fishing. :roll: :shock:

I brother had a bad accident in my car a day before Xmas, on his way to Chennai, its a write off. Shall mail a picture to Owen and ask him to send it to you. Well BoL. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

Yup Bobbee... We had good times.. And Bharat faking cough so that he could have a peg of Rum :wink:
Great stuff and we must do it again !!

Owen - Bobbee's right, mate... you got just too much of fishing equipment,.. Please send some across to me :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 am 
Fishaholic

The man lost his wheels, but hasen't lost his sense of humor. :lol:
Bobbee the way you bombed up the cottage, it was all of us that the fish could smell.
Let me tell you how Bobs hit his first Rohu at WASI lake.
I was fishing with Shreekanth from a new swim that has been created around 50 feet to the left of the channel swim where Bobbee and grandson were creating the usual racket. :lol:
We were into the first half hour when my rod which was on a double rod rest, did took on a big bend and the drag did a small scream. I thought ah my first Rohu of the trip, and proceeded to walk toward the channel along the bank. I shouted out to Bobbee to take out their rods, which he proceeded to do. By the time i reached him, he was still struggling with this snag that suddenly turned red and transformed itself into a nice 5kg Rohu. So there we were, i with a 2 Kg bluefin mahseer and Bobee with a 5 kg Rohu, wondering who would get their fish in first to make room for the other. Finally my fish decided to give up on the mud bank (due to the sharply receeding water level), and Bobbee got a hand from us to land his fish. Now for the 1st time we had 2 fish on the landing mat at the same time, and it was a question of who would do what, but that was all sorted out soon enough, and with the pictures done, both fish were back in the water in a couple of minutes.
Now here comes the interesting part.
The rohu when released, dissapeared down river with the current among the weeds like all the other rohu that we have caught at this place, while the mahseer swam a little up stream against the current and found a place for itself to rest in the fast water.
Two distinctly different species reacting in exactly opposite ways when released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

And I thought that the Bobbee's mahseer catch at the Kaveri was funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bobbee, You the MAN !!! 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Here are some of the pix from the trip:
Sreekanths first fish
Bobby's Rohu
12.5kg rohu
Small rohu
Small mahseer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen, did you notice the difference in colouring. I thought my line ws snagged to yours because u were coming from the left of me, and thats where I had cast. U b----r, never smile at the lakes. Take it easy have a peg and relax.

May be my bombs frightened the fish away. I brought up the point of feeding the fish, with Sahadev, he tells me that the gillies have been told not to feed the fish when some body comes fishing. With four of us there, we ourselves must have fed a good one kg of raggi a day.

A point to ponder, as we did not get any fish for the next two days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Feeding was carried out by the orders of Putta using our lovely ragi.
Let me get my hands on the sod! :evil:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen catches a fish and he smiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Doesn't every one ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Then look at the fish not at me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Owen,

Some very nice fish there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I am Bobbee, but when your grandson turns the aparture settings on my camera haywire, i tend to get a little concerned.
Note these pictures are from Sreekanth's camera. I will post the pictures that you and your grandson took with my camera, and you will understand wwhat i mean.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

My dear friend I didnt take a single snap. Reply to my query on lalbagh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

You are suffering from memory loss !
What query on lalbagh ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Congrats Owen,

Some very nice fish there...

Thanks Bobby! That is the first little mahseer that i have caught at the lake.
I don't bother fishing for them at the lake, as they are too tiny. This one was caught while fishing for Rohu.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice one's OMO... But I find that the rohus in these pics are a bit darker than the ones we caught iin Dec '06...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

That's because they are not from my camera. They were taken by Sreekanth.
Posting some from my cam, alongwith pix of 2 new swims. Note the water level. These are pix from my cam.