->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Catfish
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Of all India's catfish, only the Goonch seems to get any angling attention but a quick look around on fishbase shows several species that look to be worth catching.
Giant river catfish, Shovelnose catfish, Goonch, Sutchi catfish and the grand-daddy of them all the Yellowtail catfish which is reputed to grow to 3m in length and several hundreds og Kg's.
Interestingly, I have seen a photo of a Yellowtail cat that was suposedly caught in the Cauvery but Ihave yet to hear of anyone deliberatly targeting them.

Are there any catfish nuts out there ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,

You might have already seen his post but Owen informed us about catfish on the Cauvery.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,
The yellow cats in the Cauvery are rather small. The biggest i have seen are aroung 4 lbs. Only the locals seem to fish for them, the rest of us consider them a nuisance. They will take anything including a piece of their brethren if he is shredded.
However, i have seen some very big cats taken from the Almatti dam in Bijapur district of North Karnataka, and am quite certain that they are present in most of our large dams. They look like the "Vundu", and the ones i saw loaded on the top of a bus, could have been 40+lbs.
The only other siluroids worth their salt in the Cauvery is the Silund, and are mostly found in the Mekadattu gorge area.
Regards
Owen
Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Ken,

You might have already seen his post but Owen informed us about catfish on the Cauvery.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:47 pm 

Hi Ken,

The biggest Catfish I've seen was around 4-5 kilos my younger brother (aged 11) caught a month ago from the lake (Varthur lake- Whitefield) close to my home. This catfish was caught using Chicken Innards, although not sure what species of catfish it was(have no pictures). It was caught in the overflow of the lake.

Regards,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:14 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys. I saw the thread about the Silund but havent been able to find much about them.
The Goonch are going to be targeted on the next India trip and I might just start fishing a second rod with a cut bait on it to see what turns up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,
The Silund were available in large numbers and in almost every Indian river. I hear the record is from the Yamuna, but i could be wrong.
Good discriptions are available in Thomas's "Rod in India", and many other books of that period.
The fish is an excellent fighter and can be caught on live/ dead bait, large spoons. You will need masheer gear and 40lb mono because of the kind of habitat that he lives in. The masheer survives in the Kaveri in both sandy and rocky bottoms, but i have seen the silund here, only in rocky bottom areas (the gorge), and they are usually found in deep holes, where the water is slightly slack.
Regards
Owen
Ken L wrote:
Thanks guys. I saw the thread about the Silund but havent been able to find much about them.
The Goonch are going to be targeted on the next India trip and I might just start fishing a second rod with a cut bait on it to see what turns up.