->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Pink carp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:36 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,
Anyone have info on this fish? I find the pink carp a very interesting fish, what with its quaint design and colouring. The fight's great too; pound-for-pound it almost matches a mahseer in the rapids, to me anyway!

My group had caught three of them in the Cauvery so far, but the last year or so, they are nowehere to be found.

How big do they grow? Are they widespread, or only endemic to Cauvery?

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
My group had caught three of them in the Cauvery so far, but the last year or so, they are nowehere to be found.

That's odd because the only time I saw one was in the last week of 2005 at Galibore. No idea what it weighed but it was 24" or little more in length and approximately 4" to 5" at it's widest.

I am afraid I don't have an answer to your other questions.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:18 pm 

Hi Jungle Bum,

I have been fishing the Cauvery since '89 and till the middle '90's we used to catch a lot of Pink Carp. As you said it is a wierd looking fish but quite a scrapper.

It's correct name is Pigmouth carp (Labeo kontius). For more info check out this site -

http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/Summary/S ... p?id=13173

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Cauvery Cowboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:51 pm 

Hi Junglebum,

My mum's caught a pink carp during the late 80's when we used to camp and fish the Cauvery (I was very young then), it was a nice size fish as well. There is a picture somewhere, will try to pull it out and post it here.

Regards,
Alexis

Post subject: Pigmouth Carp
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi CC,
i beg to differ. The pink carp is different from the Pigmouth carp.
Posting a picture of a pigmouth that i caught about 10 years back (Didn't know it's name till one of our well informed WASI members recently put me on track).
Labeo Konitius(Pigmouth) does have some pink on it, but the real pink carp is confused with the rohu of the Kaveri which is quite often pink on the back, and another fish, the Kurral (which has small scales), is slightly pink,and the rest of the fish is ditto barbel and he is a good scrapper indeed.
Regarding the Pignose, this is the only one i have ever caught, and that too while fishing for Masheer at Moslehalla. Using heavy gear, he came in tail first (foul hooked). Don't know why he went for a Ragiball connected to an 8/0 Oshaunessy hook, with a mouth like that.
Regards
Owen
[/img]
cauvery_cowboy wrote:
Hi Jungle Bum,

I have been fishing the Cauvery since '89 and till the middle '90's we used to catch a lot of Pink Carp. As you said it is a wierd looking fish but quite a scrapper.

It's correct name is Pigmouth carp (Labeo kontius). For more info check out this site -

http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/Summary/S ... p?id=13173

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Cauvery Cowboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:21 pm 

Just happened to see this picture on Johnny Jensen's website..

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm ... opogon.htm

more info can be found on fishbase.org

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:16 am 
Fishaholic

Just for the record, the fish in the link provided by Alexis bears no resemblance to the fish I saw being refered to as a Pink Carp.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:43 am 
Fishaholic

Rusty,
This is interesting. The fish referred to in Alexis's posting (Korhi Barb, Hypselobarbus micropogon) IS the one we've been catching!

The three specimens we landed were from the Muttati - Dodda Mulu stretch of the Cauvery, and from Moonraker (Mudrekal).

I guess there's more than one "pink carp" in Cauvery. I think the name's a misnomer anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Aznir,

What is most probable is that the anglers got the name wrong.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Just adding my 2 cents..... The picture Alexis has posted was what I used to refer to as 'pink carp'. I haven't seen one for the last 3 years and they're becoming harder to find. They put up quite a scrap and are beautiful looking fish. We had a average of 2 pink carp every trip about 5 years ago and earlier. The best spot being crocodile rocks. I was out fishing with Renuka on evening at Croc Rocks when he had a massive strike and line began peeling off his reel. We both thought it was Mahseer and after a small battle he reeld in a mother of a pink carp. It was easily close to 25lbs. I yelled as he reel the fish almost upto the rod tip and in a flash it was gone. We both sat there looking at each other when he looked up at me and said 'bad line'!! Luckily I wasn't carring a knife on that session.

Wonder where the pink carp are.... coming to think of it there was a fish kill on that stretch that was hushed up... 3 to 4 years ago and the majority of the fish that were floating on the surface were kalabanse and pink carp. Guess they're slower breeders than the rest and haven't really bounced back.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

Akshay,

The 'Pink Carp' I was refering to was also caught at Crocodile Rock.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

The fish in Johnny Jensens web site looks like what the locals call the "kurral". Could be from the barbel family, and used to be quite common on the Kaveri even down to Hognekal.
Caught them on earth worm and even ragi, but they seem to be a bit scarce these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

OB,

That 70 pounder was a Golden, the only one we caught, late Nov 05. The rest were blue fins in the 10 - 25 lb range.

I think that catch was sheer luck. The fish must have been migrating down and happen to have a pit stop right where my bait was! Next day, I was fishing at Dodda Mulu (the big sandbank pool) and spotted a giant mahseer swimming down with the currrent. Golden. Didn't stop: I think it was on its way to Haira, since it thought you were camped there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi JB,
Wish i had seen the mother.
Don't forget a copy of your cd for Sundar at Galibori camp.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:26 am 

We fished the Cauvery in February 2004 when the river had virtually dried up. There was no water in the rapids above Galibore and the only fishing areas were downstream of Croc Rocks. All the fish for miles were holed up there and thousands of pink carp were shoaled all the way along the stretch. In areas the water was black (or pink) with them. The river erupted as far as the eye could see as cormorants flew upstream spooking the fish. A spectacular sight. Some mornings we witnessed crocodiles feeding on the shoals.

We tried to catch them and failed. The guide finally foul hooked one for lunch.

We weren't bothered by catfish at all and the guides told us that the otters had taken most of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:40 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ecc,
Its the pig nose carp labeo Konitius. Foul hooked more often than not.
Tastes like an old boot :lol:
Regards
Owen