->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

hi friends. grt 2 b here .
I am plannin to cast my line in Matatila and Sukhna dam in west UP by this jan. can somebody guide me what kinda bait i may use and any special tech's for this cold winter season. Fish out there is Carp - rohu cattla - singhada and catfish. I am planing to go on 2nd jan.
kindly post your suggestiion ASAP
anyone interested may also join in.
cheers!!!
Mayur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:00 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Mayur, I dont know much about catching carp and rohu....but there is a whole bunch of recipes in this section under the thread "bait for carp and rohu".....dont think you can get a better bait making tips than the ones out there...until and unless the guru of "carp" Gavin has not shared all his secrets with us....
All the best and let us know what worked [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:19 pm 
Fishaholic

i too agree need help to catch cutla rahu mirgil read all posts of mr gavin and mr owen wish you good luck
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Guru of Carp..... I like that, belli ( but u still not getting any of my secrets :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

Hey Mayur - Welcome aboard !! As the Bell-man has rightly pointed out, there are enough threads on this forum that will give you info on the baits for rohu and catla... But then again the most important part is that you have to see what the fish are used to eating there.. An example of this is that when I fished at the WASI, I caught fish on ragi, something that may never work here in Cal... So suggest you check out what the locals are throwing into the water there..

Jeera powder and haldi are two ingredients that am using now, that have fetched me some results, not anything big but a move in the right direction.. U can also use white butter or coconut oil...

I use these ingredients with bread.. You prepare the bread bait by firstly cutting of the ends of the slices or the crust. Soak them in a little water and then knead it to a ball... Not too hard and not to soft..

After this you can either add coconut oil or the white butter.. This is your main bait.. You now can choose whatever toppings you like. This could include jeera, haldi, hing, as well as essences like vanilla, chocolate and my latest favourite strawberry (catlas are going for this :lol: :lol: )

There is a thread with details of the groundbait, which should help out a bit more.. Do get back if you require any more info...

Bell- man, you not supposed to be reading this :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey riaz, what's with the Mr Gavin stuff :shock: :shock:
No formalities dude... :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:21 am 

Gav, I got Khal-as its called here-sunflower...celebrating that!
Am making my version of sweet bait using condensed milk, rossogollas and chocolate syrup with boiled atta and a bit of Hing-have a couple of variations-If it dont work, I'll bake the damn mess and eat it at least-will save some for your next visit!
Read somewhere that atta for carp bait is immersed in boiling water for 20 min and then various attractants added.Whats your take on this? raw atta or boiled?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hey pretty good idea with the condensed milk.. Cant try that though cos I have one helluva sweet tooth :lol: :lol: :lol:
Though keep some for me when i come knocking on your door..

Haven't used atta for bait, much, but I guess the boiling bit allows the bait to get a bit hard and gummy so that it does not get knocked off by small fish.. Because of the gummy factor, the fish is forced to take the entire bait and not just couple of bites..

I still prefer white bread over atta, ragi etc.. as the bread has more capacity to absorb the oils and essences as compared to the other baits. This is an important factor when the bait is in the water.. The bread bait will give off small bubbles of oil that attracts the fish.. :lol:

This once again is my personal opinion and could be debated upon by other anglers, but am just letting you know stuff that has worked for me. :wink: :wink:

Post subject: Matatila and Sukhna
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mayur,
Am a bit intrigued by the locations you mention- Matatila and Sukhna (or is it Sukhwa of the Sukhwa-Dukhwa fame?).
Is this the same Matatila on the Betwa, somewhere near Jhansi?

Is the fishing still any good? My Dad and his buddies used to head out for the Betwa somewhere close to Jhansi, used to get bags of mulley, redfin mahseer, and some bigass murrel, all on spoons built at the locoworks in Jhansi.

Any stillwaters around there?
Btw, where are you from?

Cheers,
V.

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

ya man its the same place i fished there when i was in 4&5th grade. just going back there for some old nice memories. suggest me for some techniques & baits i can use out there. weather there is relly cold. look frwd to your reply.
Me frm Himachal and pstly in gwalior it 3-4 hrs drive to talbehat where matatila is.
cheers!!!!!!!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Gav, I got Khal-as its called here-sunflower...celebrating that!
Am making my version of sweet bait using condensed milk, rossogollas and chocolate syrup with boiled atta and a bit of Hing-have a couple of variations-If it dont work, I'll bake the damn mess and eat it at least-will save some for your next visit!
Read somewhere that atta for carp bait is immersed in boiling water for 20 min and then various attractants added.Whats your take on this? raw atta or boiled?
Best
Axx

Would say just 5 to 10 minutes in boiling water. Any longer than that, and it will turn rock hard. In fact i only boil atta if i am using it in fast water, so that it stays longer on the hook.
Regards
Owen