->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm 

Dear Fellows
Hi,
I am from Punjab Pakistan and first time start a new topic about mahua flowers having different name like Madhuka, etc. in various states of India. we use mahua syrup in our wait charrai for carp fishing, this syrup is a very specific gradient in our wait charrai because carp fishes likes very much and attract his smell and sweetness. i reads various topic but nobody discus about mahua syrup. i hope some one explain better about mahua usage in carp fishing.
waiting your reply

thanks sajid pervaiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Sajid. mahua paste is a better option.. Its fantastic for catlas and rohus... If you going to use the mahua in your groundbait, then suggest you give it 6-12 hours to react... Mahua acts as an intoxicant for the fish...

Tight Lines & Good Fishing,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 pm 
Enlightened

Sajid

Mahua paste is also used here in Bangladesh.

GRC

I am not sure to what extent mahua acts as an intoxicant to fish, it certainly is an attractant. Here in Bangladesh, on bright sunny days, it is not an uncommon practice to heat up a normal brick (as in building brick) to drive out the moisture and then soak the brick with alchohol or rectified spirit. I have used a local gin myself. The brick is then heaved in near to where the baited hook is to lie and slowly releases the alchohol. This definitely attracts fish. In my case it has always been a case of attracting mrigals. But one night when a friend and I were fishing a private pond on two different machaans a fly fell into the glass of whisky he was nursing. He threw it out near his rod tip and then proceeded to catch rohu after rohu while I remained almost fishless. I found this interesting as Rohu are such reluctant biters at night. So what you serve up at your bar may have a direct relationship to what customers you get!

I often use alchohol in my charai directly as well as to flavour bread paste. It is our confirmed opinion that fish have a definite preference for Black Label whisky in the bread paste!

Incidentally did you receive my answer to your PM.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

lakhyaman..... black label in your bread paste... as a scot i am speechless [as opposed to legless]
surely a cheaper brand could be used for your bread paste?
i was carp fishing here in england yesterday..in commercial fisheries we use fish pellets as bait
they come in a vast variety of flavours... i may steal some of my sons whisky and try whisky pellets or paste
thanks for the idea... doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:51 pm 

thanks to my fellows for reply.

I also request you to please informed me about per Kg rate of mahua in India because mahua is not available in Pakistan easily.

WAITING TO YOUR POSITIVE REPLY

THANKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmmmmm,

This seems interesting not only because its a fish attractant but also because its one of the only flowers that are used to make alcohol in an ancient manner!

Is anyone aware where can we get mahua flowers or even better if seeds are available to be planted anywhere.

Regards,

Omesh

Post subject: Mahua
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

You will find Mahua trees in bloom in summer all along the Central India belt :UP, MP, Bihar, Orissa, etc. In fact, under each Mahua tree you will find a local holding guard to collect the flowers. These are collected & sold to the local bania. As already stated it is an essential ingredient for brewing the Local 'Tharra" ( alcohol). The flower, when it falls on the ground & rots, it ferments & becomes intoxicating. Quite common to find "DRUNK" monkeys, deers, bears, etc totally BLOTTO after having a go at the mahua flowers. Hilarious to see them tottering around in the jungles.
Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:22 am 
Fishaholic

i know where they grow here in pune.... but its a small trek to get the flowers and is one slips off the trees its a good drop below.... at the peak of summer when all else if parched and dried to a crisp the "flame of the forest" burns bright red on leafless boughs.

Last edited by hamour on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

checked the net..... no info.... I'm keeping this in mind. once have a confirmed source will try and source out the same to you too Sajid. Thanks for bringing this up.
If anyone knows where the alcohol made from these flowers can be purchased anywhere in maharashtra please do post it.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:23 pm 

thanks Mr. omesh moorjani for your effort . one thing i am also mentioned here mahua just not utilized for making alcohol or tharra. this is also used various homeopathic and psychopathic and mostly in desi medicine. and i saw some videos on utube regarding this.omesh if u interested, then i also send you a complete ground wait charai method with ingredients and his preparation.

thans and regards

sajid Pervaiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 pm 
Fishaholic

hi sajid

I have used mahua with konda (rice husk) as ground bait. it's very effective when used properly.

can u please send me the recipe you use.

regards
manish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

please send the recipe, yes I am well aware of its medicinal use that's why looking for it, apparently it stops the bleeding in cases of hemophilia.... like i said before thanks for starting this thread, it will bring lots of awareness about the plant.

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 pm 
Fishaholic

I normally get my mahua from my uncles farm. Its a six hour journey by train and whenever he comes to Cal, he brings quite a lot of mahua.. I prepare the paste at home and it lasts me a long time..

@Lakhyaman : Mahua once fermented does become an intoxicant.. It works wonders when mixed with "chira/chura" mixed with a little country liquor.. The paste is also used as a bait topping.. It has a nice scent to it and is a very good attractant if prepared correctly.. Also, I got your PM but for some reason I couldnt get thru to you... Must be something wrong on this side of the line...

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:01 pm 
Fishaholic

With due respect to old age tradition of using Mahua flower, as a fish attractant, I beg to deffer that Mahua gives you an added advantage. Basically if you go on feeding fish any thing, it will get accustomed to the same and in my opinion, Mahua acts in the same capacity. Mahua will never work in a water where it has not been used extensively as a GB or HB.

I would rather concentrate on bait, which is rich in nutrients and the smell factor is as natural as possible.

To me fish will rather eat any thing, subject to an regular input of the same in the water body. The classical example being, you can only catch a good Mahseer, using Ragi, from South but if you try Ragi, for the same fish from the North, you will draw a blank. The bait used for Northern Mahseer is Atta and Turmeric :!: .

The second example is the Temple Mahseers of Bhakra and they attack Pakori with all the chilly and salt and what not :!: :!:

To me, if I want to experiment, using a natural smelling bait (From the fishes point of view), which is rich in nutrients and have some fat contents is the best way to go for our Carps.

Regards,

Ali.

PS. using alcohol in bait is another topic and the merits and disadvantages can be discussed separately. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Alibhai - Fish are known to strange habits and behaviour.. I agree on the point that fish need to be accustomed to a certain food in order for chances of us catching them, however they have also be known to associate smell with danger.. I have seen that if you keep using the same bait time and again, your hook-up %age will get lower and lower (this in a CNR state)..

Different waters have different tastes (from the fish point of view). Its how we approach it.. For example, @ FW and my seat, the groundbaiting pattern and bait mix will be a huge contrast from the guy who is sitting maybe 15 metres away from me.. This is because I have got the fish interested in a certain type of mix, however I have noticed that using toppings like mahua or cheese and dips like honey, ghee, honey-rum have increased my catches as well as the size of the catches..

But I guess, to each his own....

GRC

Quote:
PS. using alcohol in bait is another topic and the merits and disadvantages can be discussed separately.

Preferably over a peg or two :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:33 pm 

thanks Ali bhai and gavin ridge for mentioned a valuable comments with your experience. i want clarify that we use wait charrai with worms, we make charrai with various desi botties like kapoor kuchri, ball chudd , nagar motha,etc and mahua past also use in this charrai, we used chrrai on wait and worm on hook, and he gave very good result. i will be attached a video clip about charrai making soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:52 pm 

Sir I don't have a regular source to mahua.. If I keep mahua fruit in fridge for months and before use fermented it will that work???

one more suggestion please.. I have heard about Bakor tel. I used it too from local bait shop. I inquired about its making process they just told its made of garlic, cardamom etc.. I talked to tribal community they told me there is a seed namely BAKOR, and bakor guli is used to make local alcohol .. Is this bakor used in preparing bakor tel?? If yes. what are the other ingredients should be to give that preparation a liquid form?? should I use sunflower oil.. or ghee or something else... Please guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Tanay,

Perhaps you should try introducing yourself in the introduction section, it is the best way to get persons to answer your questions. It is also considered to be good etiquette here.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 am 

Hello Bobby Sir,

Thank You for your advice. I've never go through introduction section. I've been introduced now and thats all your credit. Thanks again :)

Regards,

Tanay

Last bumped by TanayKundu on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 am.