->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Lures for Lake Fishing
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:36 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Am planning my first Lake fishing trip to either Pawana Dam or Valvan at Lonavala. I have several lures and wanted to know what kind of ideal lures would work for Lake fishing .

I would presume that there are Rohu, Catla, Masheer, Calbose in the lake - would like to choose the right lures for these fish - some I am told are Herbivores.

I intend to use spinning with slow retrieve as the method - wondering whether I should also put an Atta plug (atta with sugar syrup and butter) on the hook of the Lure.

Thanks any advise would be wonderful
Ocean :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:35 pm 
Fishaholic

The mahseer will happily take simple spinners. These will also lure any murrel or mully that might be present. No bait should be added to the hooks.
The other species that you list as well as the mahseer will respond to static baits - including paste baits such as the one you describe. None of those species are strictly herbivores though and they will happily take natural baits including various insects and aquatic invertebrates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 am 
Fishaholic

Ocean .. fishing at valvan is not allowed .. if the tata guys catch you, they will confisticate your gear and fine you.
you can only fish there is you know someone there and have got permssion . just informing you , to spare you the trouble.

Post subject: Valvan
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:27 am 

hamour wrote:
Ocean .. fishing at valvan is not allowed .. if the tata guys catch you, they will confisticate your gear and fine you.
you can only fish there is you know someone there and have got permssion . just informing you , to spare you the trouble.

Hi Hamour
Thanks - yes I know I needed permission - did not know they would confiscate my Gear !!! :(
I wrote to tata electric requesting a day's fishing pass but no reply so far.

Do you do much lake fishing ? am planning Pawana - a friend who takes long motorcycle rides tells me there are areas one can access the lakefront and fish off the banks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

pawana is leased to a body of commercial fishermen for abot rs 32 lakhs for a year this year. and is anextremely large water body to fish one off .. its important to locate the fish or your day trip may be fruitless.

im not saying this to dissuade you, but to fish there would be at your own risk as the commercial fishermen (bhoi tribe) can get violent.. plus being a large body of water , its not easy to loccate fish activity... at this time of year when it is predominantly hot, the best fish activity times are pre dawn and dawn till 9 -10 am and a window again from 4pm to 7pm most places , this considering other aspects of weather conditions are in place.

bottom line is that if you want to seriously fish places, dont begin with high expectations, but by recceing places and keeping record of them in a log .. over a period of timethings will slowly beging to fall into place... plus you will beging to protect the places and will become contientious in how you fish... in short you will value our natural resources .

all th best to you.. a tip for you ..use google earth to learn about the water bodies around you ...and follow threads on the forum .. they will give insight to where to fish and when.. lastly when things begin to work out.. treat our resources with due care..
again all the best.

Post subject: Thanks - Closing Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:44 pm 

hamour wrote:
pawana is leased to a body of commercial fishermen for abot rs 32 lakhs for a year this year. and is anextremely large water body to fish one off .. its important to locate the fish or your day trip may be fruitless.

im not saying this to dissuade you, but to fish there would be at your own risk as the commercial fishermen (bhoi tribe) can get violent.. plus being a large body of water , its not easy to loccate fish activity... at this time of year when it is predominantly hot, the best fish activity times are pre dawn and dawn till 9 -10 am and a window again from 4pm to 7pm most places , this considering other aspects of weather conditions are in place.

bottom line is that if you want to seriously fish places, dont begin with high expectations, but by recceing places and keeping record of them in a log .. over a period of timethings will slowly beging to fall into place... plus you will beging to protect the places and will become contientious in how you fish... in short you will value our natural resources .

all th best to you.. a tip for you ..use google earth to learn about the water bodies around you ...and follow threads on the forum .. they will give insight to where to fish and when.. lastly when things begin to work out.. treat our resources with due care..
again all the best.

Thanks guys
I am shutting this thread because my cousin just returned from Pawana and he will be taking me there soon. Apparently there are some great spots where one can fish and he landed a Calbose and some nice carp.
Good eatin too :-) we enjoyed them. No Fishing mafia or fishermen or anything - just tell them you are catch and release fishermen - give them a few bucks, and tell them to go have a drink or something - thats what he did when one curious local wandered up and poked around in the fishing bag...
Says he also hit something pretty big but it bent the hook and got away ...
Maybe Loch Ness Monster is there too ... :wink:

Post subject: Thread closing
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 pm 

Hi
Looks like one CANT close a thread on this BB
But I am cutting out so feel free to continue between yourselves
Cheers and thanks for the feedback
ocean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm 
Fishaholic

good to hear , that your cuz had some nice action..all the best for the future too.. you would be fortunate not to come across the bhois.. it happens now and then..

the big one might have been a big grass carp , they grow quite huge... the bhois are not to be mistaken for some local loitering around.. who you can payoff. plus that will start an unnecessary trend , as the folks there will keep coming to pester so they can get paid and the stakes will go up further .. plus these chaps dont understand c n r.. coz for them its their lively hood.

i am saying this coz a friend and i are known to one of the chaps (bhoi) who has leased the place..