->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:21 pm 

Clown knife fish is considered great game in Thailand and elsewhere we call this fish 'Pari' here in Punjab i don't know what it is called at your end. The fish is known to take spinners and other artificial 's as well as live bait and makes spectacular jumps when hooked .... What are your thoughts on this fish and what techniques you have used to catch it

And also has any one of you ever caught Batchwa a small catfish that is known to take fly and spinners and tastes great at least according to 'Skene Dhu' the writer of book named 'Mighty Mahseer and other Indian fishes' from colonial times

And please tell me about indian trout another species frequently mentioned in colonial era books .... [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hasham

Clown Knife fish make great aquarium fish ... but the largest ive seen is around 6 inches ... how big do the get ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fred,

I dont know what Clown Fish ham is referring to, you know the confusion with the names, just try fishing place to place to place like I do, we carry a ID book with us to make sure.

They call Sail Batfish in some places and then Dorado is also called Batfish further down in the next county, its insane...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:34 pm 
Fishaholic

hey Bob . whats the number in hkg ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobster,
Will you cut the bull and post some pix matey ?
Haven't heard from you in ages, and we all know you have been wetting a line.
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Weve been pulling his legs so long about his poles and tackle ... guess he wants to make a big bang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobster - U better post them pix soon.. You do not want to get on the wrongside of Old Man Longlegs and Mr Arowano... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

His camera is in Bandra , somethings in Singapore , Hes in Hong Kong ,,, Bobsters really layered around the place -- Come on Bob whats the cloak and dagger stuff - what the heck did you catch - a sperm whale ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobber - they've got your number dude ... Better get them pictures asap..

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:38 pm 

Dudes here is a picture of clown knife fish / featherback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hasham,

Some input from SE Asia:

The knife fish/featherback has at least 4 species, as far as I know. There is this small one (Notopterus notopterus) which doesnt grow much bigger than your palm. Then there's the Notopterus chitala, which you are holding in the pic (I think!). In Malaysia, this grows to 27 kg (about 60-lb), although 3 t0 7 kg is the norm. The other species are the spotted knife fish (Thailand) and the beautiful striped knifefish (Cambodia, I heard).

The knfefish are predators, feeding mainly on small fish and prawns. They swim at a 45 deg angle, using their long pelvic fin as a tail. Bottom feeders, mainly. Their mouths are relatively small, so baits have to be small too. Use local prawns or baitfish. A No. 2 or 1 circle hook will serve well, ensuring hookup at the corner of the mouth. Allow the fish to run off with the bait before tightening up. I use a leader of 20-lb braided, green colour, just in case.

In my experience, knifefish feed best on calm days (no winds), at dawn or sundown. Once the sun dips below the 10 deg angle, the sudden darkness in the water brings them out to feed.

Lures need to swim close to the bottom, and swim slow; knifefish are not speedsters, although they jump on hook up.

Hope this helps.

><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:37 pm 

Hi Junglebum!

Can you tell me which lures work best for featherback. The feeding patterns that you describe calls for plastic worms on bottom, plastic shrimp or may be sinking Rapala countdown / Suspending Rapala Huskyjerk

What is your opinion on that ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:16 am 
Fishaholic

Hasham,

I'm no expert on lures for featherbacks. Most of their swims are deep pockets of impoundments! But there are a few shallow waters here (former mining lakes; shallow water supply dams) that hold this fish. A few friends had success with small lures like deep diver floating plugs, and of course sinking ones. They've not tried the plastics yet. Try deep diver shad raps for a start. Others include small Slavko bugs and LC Bevy Shad.

Having said this, there ARE times when featherbacks come up to the surface, especially at the feeder river mouths. I guess this is a good time to try your subsurface lures.

><<:>