->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Mad idea
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I have to shoot an article with the current World Champion next Sunday and have spent a lot of time over the last two years working at the International Match Fishing level. So.......

Is it time to get an Indian team fishing the World Freshwater Championships?

I can get you up to speed on tactics, methods, baits, venues etc
I can get info from Tamas, the current World Champion, all the England World Champion team and several others besides, like team managers, ex World Champions etc.

Biggest problem I can forsee is the cost, but that's what sponsorship is all about.

All the competitors and back up teams would support new teams, especially from outside Europe, taking part. They bend over backwards to help South Africa, Australia and the USA when they compete because they know that without those teams it becomes difficult to call it a World Championships.

Give it some thought first, then we can brainstorm on the forum and maybe start to think seriously about it in Bangalore in April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:48 pm 
Fishaholic

The Chinese have been looking to join for a couple of years, but they are being a bit arsy, insisting that a World Champs be scheduled for China before they agree to compete!

I think that; just looking to compete would be a thrill and would help to boost the profile of angling in India and the profile of Indian angling around the World.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

I just love people with "Blue Hats " ..... dreams to realities .. go get it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Stevie, Can u throw so more sunlight on this ?? What type of fishing , the waters (still or moving) ? Otherwise you gonna have the entire jing-bang lining up ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Fishing is always on rivers, canals or lakes. The venue has to be regular in shape so all competitors have a similar swim to fish.
This year, in Portugal, was on the Olympic training rowing course, specially stocked with mullet!?, boga, carp and a few other bits of freshwater fish.
Last year was on a wide ship canal in Finland containing mainly roach, perch and small freshwater bream (what we call skimmers).

Has to be floatfishing. I'll go through the exact ways that are employed if there is enough interest, and I have a copy of the full rules that I can post.

Keep coming back with the questions and let's see if we can move it on. I would imagine it would take 3-4 years before you could actually fish an event.

But I covered a big event in Croatia this year on the venue that will hold the 2012 event, so if you're fishing by then it could be the year India get a medal!!!!!! :wink:

Post subject: pratap
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Get pratap ruthnaswamy on the team, he catches more fish than anyone i have ever met and is one persistent bugger on the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:43 am 
Fishaholic

No one interested then?

Hi Ryan, we need to talk about work at some point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Stevie - I think we need to work on the logistics of things before actually getting the interest level up...
Provide us with some more info on this like types of fish caught and baits used...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:15 pm 
Enlightened

Steve...this is a super dooper idea....like you mentioned please do post the rules and other details....we probably can do a dry run out here when you are in April....people intrested can participate...and you could give us tips on how this works ....I am sure we will have a lot of people intrested....
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Fishing capital of India _ Bangalore --- evrything happens here ... hey Belli any chances of holding the competition in Mumbai ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:03 pm 
Fishaholic

The float boys mostly live in the east. Robby,Gavin, Apoo. They should be upto scratch with a little help from Steve and some dough from sponsers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:39 pm 
Fishaholic

The real anglers are in the East... 8) 8) 8)

The real sponsors are in the West ... (freddie... ??? ) [smilie=whistle.gif]

The real gears in the South ... (Bangers.... ???) [smilie=upyeah.gif]

The real tough guys are up North .. (Misty,eljefe,viraj.. ??) [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

I think we have a great package put together. And am sure we can get one helluva team.. [smilie=hellyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Theres Hope for this guy.................Yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=huggles.gif]

Stevie - Wats up wit the info ?? Have got the ball rolling so you better not sleep [smilie=zzz.gif] .. Gotta strike when these buggers are awake and on the bite.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys, time difference catching us out here!

It will take me a while to give you a full set of rules, and a lot of them will not make any sense! So I'll leave that for now.

There are four methods that are generally used:

Long pole, short line at up to 13m (the maximum length allowed)

Short whip, like a pole but with no elastic shock absorber and fished with a line that is the same length as the whip.

Waggler in shallow water up to 90m out

Slider; a waggler float fished free running until stopped by a knot in the line in swims deeper than 8 feet.

Only live baits are allowed to be used.
Bloodworm and joker are the main ones. They are both small aquatic larvae from mosquito type insects. Bloodworm are bigger than joker, say 1 1/2 to 2 inches and are used singly for small fish and in bunches of up to ten for bigger fish.
Maggots are sometimes used, as are casters and worms.
Groundbait and soil are also used extensively to create a catching area.
Most often, nowadays, up to 30 cricket ball sized balls of groundbait or groundbait/soil mix will be thrown in at the start of the match to pull fish from a wide area.
These will contain very little joker or other feed.
Next, some smaller balls of just soil with lots of joker are fed very accurately with a cup on the end of your pole to create a 'killing zone'.

Groundbait may also have to be fed by catapult on the waggler line.
If fishing the whip, a groundbait that creates an instant cloud will be used to draw small fish.

As for types of fish, that depends on where the match is being fished.
In Northern Europe, roach and small bream will give high weight matches (up to 10k in 3 hours). Perch, ruffe and bleak are the target in lower weight matches.
Carp, eels and catfish show in some Northern European countries.

In Southern and Eastern Europe, carp are more dominant, along with barbel, carrassio (another type of carp) and chub for big weight matches. Small weight matches will have sunfish, bass, bleak and ruffe as the target fish.

From time to time a certain country will throw a curve ball by using a venue with unusual species in a bid to give themsleves a better chance of beating England!
This year in Portugal, mullet were stocked to go with the sunfish and boga (like a little barbel) that were already in the venue. In the end it didn't help the Portguese, as England won quite easily and Tamas Walter, a star from Hungary who had never caught a mullet before won the individual event.

Next year the event is in Hungary on a massive lake, fishing for skimmers in nets to 30k. It will be long pole fishing with bunches of bloodworm for fish that average 100-200g.

I suspect that flying the gear around would be the biggest expense. South Africa usually struggle to compete because of airline weight limits. But if we got well organised, sets of gear could be left in England for me to transport by road to the venue, while you guys fly in with your personal stuff.
The England team fish 3-4 events each year and drive to them all. Sometimes that can mean a drive of up to 3 days to get to the venue.

Generally, the same anglers fish all these events and there is a great sense of comradeship. Finding places to stay is no problem, as the local anglers help the other teams, especially those who are struggling to compete.

So, let's organise a meeting for Bangalore in early April to see who's interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

am ok with all the rules, but is the live bait mandatory ?? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin, the live bait rule means you can't put things like sweetcorn, bread or pellets on your hook.
You must use worms, maggots, bloodworm or joker.

Fish baits are not allowed at all!

There are also limits to the amount of bait you can have:

17 litres of groundbait, which can be cereal (hemp seed and sweetcorn are allowed in groundbait) or soil or gravel, but not contain anything that is harmful to the aquatic environment.

2 1/2 litres of live baits of which only 1 litre can be joker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Would booze be harmful to the aquatic environment ?? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Fluffin bootlegger .. yes off course it iis ... to the fish and the joker at the end of the pole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

This joker wouldn't mind the booze [smilie=gt_grinz-browwiggle.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:09 am 
Fishaholic

This pole fishing thing is just not my cup of tea matey. Twenty five feet of pole and no reel. :roll:
Jeez Gavin you can sit at home and fish your neighbours pond (Everyone has their own pond around west bengal right ?) :lol:

Steve you would be encouraging Gav to take up poaching as a serious past time. I must ask you not to mention anything about pole fishing. The man knows nothing about this till now, so just let sleeping dogs lie. :?

Please further his education in match fishing with something that he is more familiar with like a 7 ft bamboo rod, a float, his hootch laced ground bait and a wormy bait etc. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:35 am 
Enlightened

Freddi....any place is good B'lore or Mumbai or we could have 2 events one in B'lore and one in Mumbai...what say you..

Steve....looks like we have something on hand with potential ....lets keep in touch on this subject and try to take it to the next level....Frankly I could not figure out a few things you mentioned and there are a lot of doubts.....probably a face to face meet should give us more clarity....Thank you for all the inputs....
Belli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:05 am 
Fishaholic

We can have the Bombay Black Marlin Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

You guys name the place and us East Boys will be there and whoop some ass... Reels, Bamboo rods, et al :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Damn cowherds .. walking around with bamboo sticks and waving them around ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

:badgrin: :badgrin:

u know what can happpen with those bamboo rods ?? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah ....theres always worm on one end and a jerk on the other end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Good One :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

the Fredman is in form .... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Stevie - Another example why the East Cowherds are India's last hope for the World Angling C'ships.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm sure there will be loads of things you guys have never come across before. We can cover all that over the next couple of years, starting early next in Bangalore.
If there is enough interest, I would suggest an open forum meet in Bangalore sometime March/April and I'll do another in Mumbai in late April. (Is Fred's place big enough to hold a public meeting?)
We can go through general Western approach to coarse fishing and then move on to specifics of competitive fishing.

First stage of the World Champs process would have to be: inaugurating an Indian Freshwater Angling Association. They would become the governing body for freshwater fishing in India and would need to be set up as a fully functioning NGO.
From there, we can approach the World Governing body C.I.P.S to affiliate.

So, who do we approach to be President of the new body? Needs to be someone with political weight, whose name can be dropped to open doors and get sponsorship on board.
They can have a non-executive role if they prefer, so maybe someone knows a sports star or film star with an interest in fishing?
First name that comes to my head is Saad Bin Jung, but perhaps we can aim higher? Sachin...?
Or someone from Bangalore like Anil Kumble...?

Let's keep throwing ideas around for the next few weeks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Let's get a dude from the South.. I guess that is where the action is, and we have enough members to run around and delegate jobs too..

Plus we can also get WASI behind this.. Wat say Rusty ?? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Not a bad idea .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Just had another skim through the rules, and one foreigner can fish as long as they live in the country and have not fished for anyone else.

Can I move in with someone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

You not Bi are you Steve ? - if not you can move in with me - if yes -Gav will be a better choice - Jokes apart u have my number - gimme a call and we can take this forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:28 pm 
Fishaholic

It would be me and the wife, Fred, but living in Bandra would be nice. Nice little cricket ground there, I recall, good shopping for Bobbie, get to hang out with the stars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:10 am 
Fishaholic

And a very bloody expensive place too :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:14 am 
Fishaholic

Ok ure on ... take care n tight lines mate