->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Linear Carp @ FW
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm 
Fishaholic

The alarm went off at 6.30am and the overnight rain made it difficult to get out of bed. The early morning was nippy but the call of fishing was too strong, so i crawled out of the bed and headed towards the toilet for the morning rituals..
A hot cup of coffee and two sandwiches later, I was feeling ready and raring to go..
Around 8.30, I met up with my Old Man and we headed out to the local tackel shop to get our ants eggs.. Discussion on the way included type of fish that we would target and baits to be used as well as contemplating on entering a competition at one of the largest lakes in Kolkata..

Ants eggs picked up, we entered the gates of Havildar Tank at FW.. It was 10 in the morning but it was still hazy and overcast.. I was hopping for a little sun or light breeze. Somehow the conditions were not very encouraging...

While my dad headed out to his machan, I decided to have a little chat with the Havildar-In-Charge and find out about the recent catches. With the help of the record books, Tank/Lake No.1 had couple of catches in the last few days, however Tank/Lake no.2 (where we had our seats) was drawing a blank over the last few days.. I had to ask the HIC :roll: :roll:

Anyways, I headed out towards my machan on the far corner of the lake far from everybody, the optimist in me felt that today was going to be an unforgettable day..
Approaching my seat I found a few fish feeding, evident through the bubbles on the water, so without making much noise I settled in and within a few minutes I had my baits in the water.. The fish were feeding and i got a few nibbles and strikes but nothing much to write home about.. At around noon, I groundbaited my swim and results were immediate.. Within an hours time I had caught about 8 fish. The largest being about 2lbs / 800gms.. Good fun but still not what I wanted to catch..
By around 2.30, the bites started to die down and just then I saw a set of circular ripples on the surface of the water. Sure that the ripples were being caused by 2 nice size fish, I tried to get a better view from my machan, but to no avail. The stalker in me, now aroused, I gently crept away from my machan and crawling on the bank, moved about 20 yards from my machan, and knowing that I was from a safe distance, I stood up.. (Fluff knows what other anglers must have thought of my actions. But if i were one of them, I would have thought that I had lost my marbles :lol: )..
From where I stood, I got a clear view of the fish. Both appeared to be good size catlas and judging by the size of the mouth, i guessed their weights to be around 4-5kgs / 10-12lbs.. By the looks of it, I knew they were feeding of the algae on top of the water. So I repeated my creepy crawling ways back to my machan. With the fish feeding at the surface, i knew I had to change my set up from bottom baits to a suspended bait..
Removing the weight and and using a ball-float, I adjusted the suspended bait to about 8 inches off the surface.. A flick of the wrist and my bait landed a few feet from where I had seen them feeding.. A casted out my other rod with the baits set closer than normal, keeping the option open for a chance in case they decided to go to the bottom.. While I settled the line of my second rod, I saw the float of the suspended bait bob once.. The heart rate doubled. It bobbed twice and the muscles tensed. The third bob was followed by a singing reel and the fish ripped line off the reel like it was nobody's business..
The first run across the lake was a cool and blistering 50 metres, which was followed by a dash towards the fountain. I knew that if he got there, it would be a lost battle. So I tightened the drag of my reel and invoked the water god, Isaac, hoping that my 10lb line would take the beating.. The plan seemed to work, with my inching line back onto my reel. Little did I know that he planned a second burst of speed that carried him a further 20 metres away and 60 metres from my machan.. The fountain appeared closer than it was. With the drag tightened further, I gained some more line on him, but every time I reeled in some line, he would pull a little bit more.. The give and take lasted a good 20 minutes till I finally brought him close to the machan.. But he was not done.. With a last burst of energy, he stripped another 20 odd metres of line and ended the burst with a fantastic breach of a few inches off the water.. Knowing that he was close to being spent, I gradually coaxed him in towards me, and after a few unsuccessful dash attempts, I landed this beauty.. After the amazing fight it gave me, this wonderful creature had one more surprise for me. For here was a hybrid.. And no ordinary hybrid.. This was a cross between a catla and a LINEAR CARP :shock: :shock: :shock:

The fish was weighed, clicked and finally the ol' warrior (he deserves every bit of the title) was released..

A truly unforgettable experience...

Now, for all the anglers out there. Please have a look at the pic and share your thoughts on this fish.. My observations were:
1. It has the body structure of the catla
2. The scale pattern is very much that of a linear carp
3. The mouth is similar to a catla i.e. large, round and upturned and unlike a linear carp whose mouth is downturned, oval in shape and has barbles around it.
4. The tail is more sharp, unlike the rounded tail of the linear or other carp..

I tried looking up for hybrids between the two species but have not found anything yet..

Hopefully, he's back with his mate and may they produce many offspring and give us anglers at the FW a truly memorable experience..

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8079/spa0004.jpg

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin,

Great catch buddy and great account! good news that your 10lb line held and the fish didn't reach the sanctuary of the fountain! must have been tense moments..

To me your analysis seems to be spot on although i'm no expert! If i saw the picture i would identify it as a Catla-Linear mirror cross; a great looking beast. look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am 
Fishaholic

Nice writeup and beautiful carp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow...gr8 catch and ofcourse as usual gr8 write up as well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Truly amazing Gavin, I looked at the picture first before reading the post or coments and said Katla then the scales looked Mirror, lacking the education on our freshwater species I was totally confused until I read Scotts coments and your entire post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch. Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the comments guys...

@Scott - Am no expert on carp either.. Just matched the pics from the net and gave my observations :lol: :lol: .. Every moment with the fish was a tense moment courtesy the 10lb line.. I must admit that I have caught quite a few fish in the double figures, but this was by far the strongest fish I have ever played..

@Bobby - Apparently, they are just 2 of these guys at FW.. Hopefully they should do their thing soon...

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

@Bobby - Apparently, they are just 2 of these guys at FW.. Hopefully they should do their thing soon...

Tight Lines,
GRC

Well if there are only 2 of them if they are guys....I see a problem for the doing their thing...well it's the 2000's so let me rephraze, I see a problem for them doing their thing for the desired results at least. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But on a serious note, if there is such a variance in the two carp that they have been spawned from, there is a good chance that they may just be sterile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Gavin,

that is a good sized.........uh....umm...........fish !

Are you sure that fish was still alive when the pic was taken. It looks like it has been deep fried.

:lol:

Like bobby mentioned, I dont see any increase in the number of these fish if there are only two 'guys' there.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Like bobby mentioned, I dont see any increase in the number of these fish if there are only two 'guys' there.
Keyur

No wonders they are not reproducing :) LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Bobby - who knows what's gonna happen ? Two guys ... Sterile ... The world is a funny place and full of surprises ...

@ Keyur - The fish was very much alive and returned back to join his "mate" :lol: :lol:

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:24 am 
Fishaholic

I have to say that I'd be suprised if a common carp and a catla would hybridise in a natural environment.
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that you simply have a catla with the same mutation affecting its scale pattern that occasionally affects common carp.

The only reason why linear/leather carp are so common nowadays is that this normally rare mutation was one of several traits (including adult size and growth rates) that was exploited by European fish farmers in the middle ages to make the common carp a better food fish for domestic rearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice writeup man. I was at the edge of my seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Ken - Most of the fish at FW are got from the fisheries, so I am assuming that this could have been a one-off instance of a hybrid between catla and linear carp..

@ Sanju - I was on my seat, at the edge of my seat and also off my seat when I was playing the fish :lol: :lol: .. And I would be happy to do it all over again :D :D

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:55 pm 
Fishaholic

nice one gavin,,,,i am a salty and i know very little of fresh water, i have been to calcutta,,dargeling, sikkim etc
good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Give me a buzz the next time you are in my waters.. :D

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:37 am 
Fishaholic

It seems that a hybid is possible but (leaving the scale pattern aside for a moment) the body shape of the hybrid is nothing like Gavin's fish
http://www.fao.org/docrep/006/x3850e/X3 ... #ch3.2.7.4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Hey GRC nice "whatever " ... looks mutated just like you LOLOLOLOL ... tight lines Good health

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Hey GRC nice "whatever " ... looks mutated just like you LOLOLOLOL ... tight lines Good health

hahahahhahahahahah Wicked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

@ KenL - almost all the hybrids that I have seen are rohu-catla crosses, however this is a first time that I have seen a linear-catla hybrid.. I believe the mortality rate for the common-catla hybrid is pretty high and they usually do not grow that big.. I have also asked one of my friends in the fisheries to throw some light on this (after all this fish was got from the fisheries).. will let you know as soon as I getting..

@Fred - my bawa friend, where the fluff have you been ? was about to get a search party out for you :twisted: :twisted:
Regards the mutation, just when you think u have seen it all.. out comes a Bawa fisherman :D :D Good Health to you and your Arowanos :lol: :lol:

Tight Lines All,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gevin,

Congratulations on your cocktail carp!! And another one for getting it on a 10 lbs line!! Wow!!

Post subject: Linear Catla
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:25 pm 

Dies anyone know where I could by fingerlings of this fish? To stock in a pond

Thanks

Ruf

Post subject: Linear Catla
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:29 pm 

Can anyone point me in the direction of the fisheries department that sell the finglerings?

Thanks

Ruf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for sharing! Your post has come as a breath of fresh air when compared to some of the other posts on the forum! Really nice looking fish there. Glad it was released.

Regards,

P:S: Might just come to Calcutta sometime this year. Hope to c u then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow Gavin it was a thrilling read! So your carping still going as usual? :D

Regards
Arish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:13 pm 
Fishaholic

nice fish gavin, congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

@ Omesh - Your most welcome to fish with me whenever you are in this part of the world..

@ Arish - Things have slowed down a bit with the heavy rains, but will be back on the action this weekend..

@ Rufanuf - The fish I had caught is a freak of nature (and thats why I had caught it.. Somehow they always find a way of taking my bait.. :lol: :lol: .. )

@ Doc - Thanks ... Need to show a few pics now and then else people will stop believing that i catch fish :lol: :lol:

Tight Lines & Good Fishing,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow,

Missed this post somehow but my belated congratulations for this great catch. keep on doing it Gavin.

Amazing fish. How you managed to paint a live Catla :roll: :lol: .

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 am 
Fishaholic

Ali Bhai - Thanks for the wishes.. But it wasn't paint, but oil.. Ready for fish curry.. :lol: :lol:

Tight Lines & Good Fishing,
GRC