->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 pm 
Fishaholic

I still remember my first day at powai when I went fishing with Ali as his guest, since then I have heard stories of the unstoppable monsters that are time and again hooked but never landed. Stories of how 300 yards of line was emptied within seconds by the unstoppable monsters treating 30/40 Lb tackle with complete disdain.

Last weekend it was my & bablu bhai’s turn to hook one such Powai Monster.

I called Bablu bhai around noon on Sunday and we made a plan to do some light tackle fishing. Lot of mrigal action was happening in Powai, and I armed myself with an 8.6 ft 8 – 12 Lb rod and a size 2500 reel with 10 lb line and size 6 barb less hooks. Just a day before we caught 18 Mrigals in the range of 3 to 6 lb on the same setup in 5 hrs of fishing. Mrigals are hard fighters and absolute blast on light tackle.

We reached the lake at about 2.00 Pm, hired a boat & ground baited the dam area. In about an hour we were getting consistent bites of Mrigal & common carps. One of the senior members came towards us to check what setup we were using and joked that if we hook a fish of 4 – 5 kg, it will break us in seconds. Only thing I could say to him was, pahile lagne to do. :evil:

By 3.30PM Bablu Bhai landed a couple of nice Mrigals and we were just chatting casually when suddenly my float dipped twice. I gave a lazy one handed strike, thinking it was an mrigal nibbling the earthworm I had as bait. What followed after that was the best fight I ever had. 200 yards on 10 lb braid was taken within seconds and the 10 Lb mono backing of about 20 yards I had on the reel was now visible. Bablu bhai released the boat tide to the dam wall just in nick of time. Looking at the bend and the sound of screaming drag, we knew it was a monster; fish was unstoppable. We were dragged by the fish all over right till the end of the lake towards the boundary of IIT, those who have been to powai will have an idea of the distance which is well over a kilometre.

Not once did the fish surfaced and nearly emptied my reel many times during the fight. The drag was roughly set to 7 to 8 lb (near lock down on the reel). And the rod remained in U all the time. With encouraging words like “santosh, land it at any cost” from bablu bhai, the news was spreading with club members calling bablu bhai to ask what it is, I did all I could to control the fish.

Javed bhai one of the best angler we have in Powai, gave us company in his boat throughout the fight.

The fight lasted for over 1hour & 30 minutes. Before the line got cut on the big boulders that are below at far end of the lake.

When it was over, Javed came over to say, that was a fight of a lifetime and he has never seen or heard a fish fight so long and far in the history of Powai lake.

I don’t know how big the fish was, some said has to be 20 kg. while few even estimated it to be 30 -40 Kg. fish.

Well that could be true, but I am ready to hook the monster again on the very same tackle..

Below are some pictures of Mrigal action we are having these days in powai on light tackle.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 am 
Fishaholic

Super Santosh, all the best for the next trip....those things do happen in 2's sometimes... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

Fasntastic! And a great account of the action. Best of luck Santosh. If I were you i would be there everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

great report there mate
best of luck for the monster on light tackle.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:02 pm 
Fishaholic

super stuff Santosh. |Its those unstopables that make you a better angler and keeps the sport going. youll see many more in your life!

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 am 
Fishaholic

I always miss the good stuff..... :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

All the best to catch the monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 am 
Fishaholic

I was on my train, returning from my native place when I heard the report from Babloo and Santosh and again heard the same story from many members when I visited the lake later. As a good story never looses any thing in telling, the fish weight estimate was somewhere in the range of 50-60 kg. :!: :roll:

As per my estimate, this fish was somewhere in the range of 30-40 Kg as it run for almost 1.5 hours without surfacing.

Congratulation Santosh for having fought a epic battle with the elusive Powai monster which is a dream of every angler. Landing or loosing it does not count.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
IAs a good story never looses any thing in telling, the fish weight estimate was somewhere in the range of 50-60 kg. :!: :roll:
Ali..

So we have another growing fish. :wink: ..remember the Lands End story I posted a while ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys..

Bobby wrote:
those things do happen in 2's sometimes... :wink:

Bobby, I'll give anything for that.. :wink:

It’s hard to say how big the fish was and I wouldn’t comment on the weight since it was not landed.
However, the thrill of fighting the fish on barbless hook and 10 Lb tackle for about 1hr 30 mins was an amazing experience that weighs a ton. :D

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
I was on my train, returning from my native place when I heard the report from Babloo and Santosh

We are waiting for the report on mythical 9KG plus murral.....
how was your trip and did you land some monster murrals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 pm 
Fishaholic

great going - santosh bhai.... am sure it was a big one- one an a half hour.... wish you guys could land it....

pranav....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow ! Rajat, how did you manage to stay underwater for so long??? The scuba tank that you hired was only good for 1hr oxygen supply. ;)
atleast you gave your good friend Santosh a thrill of his life.

Good stuf Mr. S. i'm sure that you are already raring to get back at the monster....all the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 am 
Fishaholic

Nice report Santosh..
Cant imagine fighting a fish for one and a half hour. That should be one hell of experience...

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:28 pm 
Fishaholic

'Magnificient' is the word for your Report, Santosh!

It must be the Best Time so far you enjoyed during your Fishing Trips.

Whether you land or loose the Fish does not matter, it is the fight that is always enjoyed and remembered.

Congratulations to you.

Congratulations to Bablubhai too for his presence of mind and the quick reflexes in releasing the boat from the Dam wall, without which the fight would not have lasted for 1 hr. 30 minutes.

Wishing you many more such fights.

Best Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Great report SANTY !
What are the possibility that the fish u fought for an hour and half is a Otter than a fish?
Something similar is happening here in WASI lake. It takes the bait and breaks the heaviest of lines in seconds.
Iam just playing with the idea .... whats your say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Prakash,

If it was an Otter, it would have broken the 10 lb. line in seconds. As you rightly mentioned they break the heaviest lines in seconds.

Therefore it has to be a fish.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Otters = Mammals. They have to come up for air. The longest they can stay submerged is just above 4 mins.

So obviously not an Otter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

prakash wrote:
Great report SANTY !
Something similar is happening here in WASI lake. It takes the bait and breaks the heaviest of lines in seconds.
?

Most probably must be that fluffer Owen with a snorkel and those big flippin feet trying to scare you guys offa his beat LOL :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Snapping Toitle Owen! hahahahaahahaah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
prakash wrote:
Great report SANTY !
?

Most probably must be that fluffer Owen with a snorkel and those big flippin feet trying to scare you guys offa his beat LOL :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Prakash, no Otters in Powai..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
prakash wrote:
Great report SANTY !
?

Fred i experienced it myself so no chance of it being a hoax or rumour.
Riaz bhai comeon clarify !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 pm 
Enlightened

Santosh
That's a terrific account by all means! I know that wonderful feeling when you have hooked a real big one and it never comes close to the surface to actually sight it... Had the monster come up a bit, the thrill of seeing the golden/silvery flash of the scales as the biggie turns and weaves... Oh! That's a true blue Angler's cloud nine! Man!

As with many of us who have lost those big ones which just keep their heads down and run, estimating what it was and how big it was is one of the thrills of this magnificent sport. Like waiting for that 1 number for the snow ball and a full house... sweating Man!

I recall 2 very impressionable runs with monsters in my life.

The first one was in 1979 when I was in class 12 and Dad had got me a fiberglass rod and reel from the CSD. I had gone to visit my Mama in Agra (who was flying bombers then) and the two of us headed to Kitamb lake on his Jawa. Access was restricted due to Anti aircraft Surface to Air Missiles batteries. It was the rainy season and the lake was full and they had opened the sluice gates and the released water joined the Yamuna. Chilwa were leaping right left and centre. I was totally weak knee'd at the sight and with trembling hands I assembled my gear. I put on some earthworms and got 2 nice carp in minutes. Then I saw a local who came in quietly with a hand line on an old powder tin (Ponds Dreamflower?) and he used a chilwa and bang in 5 minutes he pulls out a stonking 3-4 kg fat Singhara. I decided to change tactics as at that age and time I did not know how to use live bait. I had bought a spoon (had to save up half a month's pocketmoney) from India Hobby Centre in CP and I put it on. I had an 8lb mono of say 100 yds which came with the Karman 41 reel.

First cast and I very slowly moved it towards where the Chilwa was jumping. In 30 seconds or so there was a bang and the rod almost flew out of my hand. The reel screamed and I yelled out. Mamaji and the beedi smoking local dropped everything to come and hold me from being pulled down the embankment. The fish just kept swimming and another bang and whiplash, the line broke as he had run the hundred yards in less than 15 seconds. I just sat down, trembling and Mamaji offered me a cigarette. A couple of puffs and I wishfully looked towards the reeds where the fish had run..... Bugger!

The next one happened recently... in Adelaide. I had tied up with my mates Rodger and his wife Diane for quick 2 days fishing in Edithberg on the Yorke Peninsula...

Well, I'll write about that one with some photos I took, on a new post...soon.

Dedicated to all who lost those big ones..... keep the Adreline pumping guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 am 
Fishaholic

I guess all the anglers in this forum will have a couple of such runaway fishy stories. :? If at the time, we could not believe it happened to us, how can you expect anyone else believe it was real? :shock: Dont waste time pondering this..... the truth is out there, go fish it. 8)
Bops, please start a section exclusive for such stories, perhaps we can sall it fanta-sea. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 am 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:
I guess all the anglers in this forum will have a couple of such runaway fishy stories. :? If at the time, we could not believe it happened to us, how can you expect anyone else believe it was real? :shock: Dont waste time pondering this..... the truth is out there, go fish it. 8)
Bops, please start a section exclusive for such stories, perhaps we can sall it fanta-sea. :lol:

fanta_sea ! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 pm 
Fishaholic

super santo strikes again!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D