->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: HOME MADE FLOATS
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

how many of you make your own floats? i make my own wagglers from drinking straws...and i make them self cocking by using a nail/screwnail in the bottom which is attached to the line by a float adaptor... which is a short [about an inchlong] piece of silicon tube that the nail fits into snugly and has a hole thru one end for your line to pass thru... i generally pass the line thru the hole twice, which almost locks it in place but i try to use two small shot as insurance to lock the adaptor in place... i would normally roll a strip of paper round the nail [having cut the head off first] then push it into the base of the straw...then to test it i would have cut the top off a large plastic bottle and filled it with water... i then try my float... if it sinks... i cut a little more off the nail... i want the straw to be sticking about four inches out of the water because i have two other lockshots on my line plus a tell-tale shot down by my hook...then i roll another bit of paper and fit it snugly into the top of the straw...then i nick some clear nail varnish from the wife/daughter/sister/mother...lol.. or buy your own...this i daub liberly over the top and bottom of the float to seal it... you can then paint it to suit yourself... by using a float adaptor you can change you float easily and quickly as the visability changes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Sounds very easy and simple. Would love some pictures.

I bought a whole bunch of floats in France, about 100 of them in all shapes and sizes, for about 3 Euro, a real steal. Since they were so cheap I did not look after them and I am fast running out now. So it is back to the peacock feather with a small safety pin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 pm 
Fishaholic

when they are painted ken, they just look like any other waggler, but , they cast like an arrow,
why not give it a try as you say its simple and its something to do at night when t.v. is tuned to soaps...
and if you want an insert waggler then wrap the top paper round either a matchstick or a toothpick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmm Will do. Lots of soaps on TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

dont be watching soaps ken... its been the downfall of many a good man....
and when painting the body of your floats be sure to use a matt paint which can be bought from most model shops... doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 pm 

Hi

Got a new float made with the following materials :

old Sketch pen : free
Araldite : Rs 25 for a tube
Screw ring : paise 50

Seal the rear end with araldite. Remove the sponge from the tube and insert the screw ring and apply some of the araldite to fix it. Dip in water to check for air tightness.

You can apply colurs as marking with any nail polish.

Float is ready.

William

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 am 

I love to use different size of floats with fancy colours. peacock feather was a starter then i become some more innovative. what i am now is a modified paper roll. roll the a4 size white paper of your desired length and dia. then glo it and of course seal the top end. now mix poxy and apply all over the tube or if you want to colour it then paint it first then apply the poxy. let it dry for an hour. after that attach your floating adapter glo it again. let it dry and you are done. its durable and last really long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi mate,

Thx for the tips. But it will be great if you post some images here to feel your approach in better way.

happy Fishing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am 

Guys! Guys! Some images please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

trancer wrote:
dont be watching soaps ken... its been the downfall of many a good man....
doug

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:37 pm 
Fishaholic

i'm sorry chaps that i dont have the ability to post images, [i am quite ancient]
a long time ago i was in an angling shop looking at a wonderful array of floats
ever colour you could imagine bright orange tips, yellow tips black tips... short floats that took two BB shot... long floats that took several swan shot..
then an old friend who owned the shop came up to me and smiled "cant you decide doug?" i shook my head and he lowered his voice and whispered in my ear "most floats and shiney lures are made to catch anglers, not fish"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hahahaha ! thats a good one Doug...