->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

The first thing that i did after coming to Pittsburgh was to order a fishing rod.. It was an inexpensive Pflueger trion rod with a matching reel for freshwater fishing.. So i was always boasting to my friends here, that in India i used catch fishes this big showing my out stretched arms, but then i said that was from the sea.. They wanted me to bring home the fishes if i caught any here, and i said though we wont get fishes that big here, there are good eating - smaller fishes in the rivers here.. I got my fishing license a month and a half ago.. There is a little creek near my home, which is named Chartiers creek.. I went there once, heard there were small mouth bass there, and tried all my small spinners jigs and worms, but with no luck.. But i saw lots of small carps there.. So the next time, i thought i would try to catch one of these carps, and show it to my friends.. I had high hopes, made boilies that weekend, and took boiled corns and tried.. The water was clear, but the fish dint take the baits though i put them in front of its mouth, and kept dangling it near its face trying to tempt them, they were not interested.. That was one Sunday afternoon..
My friends who admired me first started teasing me.. last week took my manager with me, he wanted to learn fishing, so we went there and tried big earthworms, but again with no luck.. This happened last Saturday afternoon..
I did not know what was i doing wrong and tried to learn more about carp baits.. Took my manager with me yesterday again, though he was not so interested as his first trip, we woke up early the morning and reached the creek.. It had rained last week so the water was murky, and the flow was more.. I started telling that we may not catch anything as the water is dirty and cast the line, with a little sweet corn as bait.. The least that i expected was a bite, but suddenly heard my reel went screaming and i would never forget that run.. The fish fought well and when i brought it close to the banks it was a beautiful carp.. My manager was very excited and was jumpin around.. I said we'll release it back, but he wanted to take it home.. Next got a couple of more hits and hooked another fish.. He wanted to try landing the fish and i gave it to him, the fish when it came near the shore managed to throw away the hook...
I now believe that early morning is a good time to fish :-) .. So we came back home happy, and now my friends have started believing the stories i told them earlier..

Cheers,
Binu

Last edited by binu on Mon May 04, 2009 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats pal keep it up [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Binu,

That was a nice catch.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:53 am 
Fishaholic

Binu, congrads on your catch.

That creek looks like an awesome place for smallmouth bass.

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

Fantastic going Binu!

Don't give up on the spinning. keep trying different lures and I am sure you'll get a strike.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

Good Catch partner.

Last 3 days went on fishing with no hits. Anyway waiting for the next weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

well done Binu, i bet you are your managers pet too, a good mornings work, but remember every fish you take home is one less for you to catch the next time... if the creek isnt too far from your home why not visit it a couple of times a week and throw in some sweetcorn and any leftover bread... i promise your hit rate will be much higher... but try not to let anyone see you do this as they might reap where you have sown... again well done being an angling ambasador...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:33 am 
Enlightened

So you managed to convince a lot of people Binu.....Its been more than a year since we caught that GT now and I somehow managed to convince my friends with those pics in my mobile..One year is a long time and got to do something mate...When are you coming back???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

great going there mate...
nice carp...
keep trying and you will catch bass as well.....
tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot guys :-) .. I would try this weekend with jigs and spinners for small mouth bass.. I dont know why they consider carp as a rough fish here, but a nice carp is sure to give a good fight when caught in a light tackle..
I dint want to take the fish home, but my friend wanted to taste it badly. They have regulations here with the number of fishes and the size that one can take home, but for fishes like carp and catfish there are no limits, but still these are the fishes present in lot numbers.
A lot of people fish here for carp too, so if i ground bait and wait till the weekend, i would be hitting an empty stream, so i wouldn't want to do that :-)
They also say that these fishes are living in contaminated water, and they may contain mercury, lead and PCB in its flesh, but I couldn't tell if the river was polluted. They looked a lot cleaner than the streams I have seen in my native..
Anyway the fish was tasty :-) :-) when deep fried..

Regards,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 am 
Fishaholic

Its been some time that i went fishing for carps.. Ken, as you said i started trying lures and found one magic lure.. Its called the rebel teeny wee crawfish :-) . They are one hell of a lure.. Caught lots of small bass with it, and one 17" bass.. Also caught a catfish, and a rock bass yesterday. I know the pics are very bad, will get a camera soon and post better pics..

Image Image

Image Image

Regards,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

great going there pal
have a rocking time....
and post picture of your magic lure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going mate. It is always fantastic to catch many species as each has it's own way of hitting the lure and then putting up a fight.

As for that lure. I have a few of them and they are great for small murrel too. Next time out I'll keep them swimming for longer and see if the mulley will have anything to do with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:08 pm 
Enlightened

Great work buddy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch binu. A pic of the lure would be nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Guys... Am attaching the picture of the lure..

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken you are right !! I like to watch the fish take away the lure, especially when you are fishing in shallow waters and from an elevation, so that you can see the fish chase your lure and the way they take it.. The rockbass i caught it near a small rock, I was making the lure rise and fall slowly like jigging. The fish came very slow, took the lure and went back to the rock... It reminded me of the way groupers feed :-) :-) :-)
The other day i saw a nice spotted gar should be more than 2 1/2 foot long, beneath where i was standing. I put a lure in front of its face and kept twitching, it took the swivel and i was mesmerized by the way the fish rose up from the bottom.. Was watching the fish, thinking it would swallow the lure and then to set the hook, but it saw a school of minnows and went after them gently..

Regards,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 pm 
Fishaholic

hey even i have couple of these lures man . As ken says may be one has to try them in a different way. Good show binu keep them coming :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:35 am 
Fishaholic

Nice fish Binu :)

I was in Pittsburgh & Morgantown (WV) in winter of 2000 / 01. Remember a place called Rock Jungle in Pittsburg. Is it still open? Caught some nice ABCD Phish there.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:02 am 
Fishaholic

Nice to hear that Santosh.. Yeah the rock jungle is still open.. Send me a Pm if you might come another time.. There is another one called the Matrix... My friends say its good too :twisted: ..

Regards,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Binu,

Looks like you have been doing really well! congratulations :D
it must be great to catch those bass and see them taking the lure.

i once had the chance of this in a lake owned by a friend in South africa. the water was crystal clear and one could see every time a bass hit the lure...i managed to get 12 on the bank but 14 threw the hooks as they liked to jump and shake their heads.. :D

As for the carp, seems like baits like sweetcorn and bread will do the buisness. These are instant! it might take the fish a while to get used to boilies and start eating them properly..and yeah get there early in the morning...mash some bread with water and add a few sweetcorn grains and lightly bait a good looking area..then wait a while before fishing and you should quickly be in action..

All the best mate, tightlines,

Scott