[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Species Identification - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Species Identification
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guy's,
High time we got around to doing this.
Here are my first two contibution
1. A mirgal that i caught on worm at Hiara

2. A Rohu caught by my brother Robby at a lake in Jamshedpur. Bait use probably atta or moss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Owen,

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works [smilie=fixtit.gif]
but the fish u carrying is a rohu and not a mirgal..

Difference : :roll:

A rohu is more on red in colour and the mouth is round in shape.
The mrigal has a longer and slimmer body and the colouring is of a yellowish white. The mouth is in the shape of a clown-frown. It will also have "whiskers" (for want of a better word) on the side of the mouth.

No hard feelings :lol: ..... Seriously

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="Gavin Ridge Cooke"]Hey Owen,

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works [smilie=fixtit.gif]
but the fish u carrying is a rohu and not a mirgal..

You could be right Gavin, but you will find that the Rohu in the Kaveri come in various colours and hues. The fish that i am holding is much leaner than the usual Kaveri Rohu and the fins especially the tail fins much longer and forked than i have seen on the rohu. I did not notice any barbles on it so you may be right. But i was told by Basavaraj the guide with me, that it was a mirgal.
By the way that is Munswamy in the background.
(Where the hell is the donkey story mate???) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

YES, WHERE THE F$C& IS THAT DONKEY STORY????

:evil: [smilie=spank.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Sacre bleu !! Forgot about them stories :shock:

THERE ARE TWO STORIES LEFT TO BE SAID :evil: :evil: :evil:

RUSTY - NO DONATION TO WASI IF I DONT GET THE STORIES :evil: EVEN THOUGH I WOULD LOVE TO SEE U RUN :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey owen, that guide's been pulling your dongle [smilie=gt_grinz-browwiggle.gif] [smilie=whistle.gif]

That aint no mrigal and I dont care about the shapes,sizes, colours and hues in the cauvery, but thats DEFINITELY a rohu, matey !!!

Bet my two sinkers on it !!! :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gavin,
Your version will be accepted after you go out and catch a sizeable rohu and mirgal and post it on this forum, showing us the differences. :roll:
Now no going to the fish market down your street and photographing one please. :lol:
My wife can make out the difference :mrgreen:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

[smilie=damn.gif]

Dont worry !! Will get some pics on the forum asap [smilie=lil_red_devil.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

You know what they say "Size does not matter"

So go out and catch one or two, size does not matter its how you get them..

By the way I am expecting some Smart Alec to come up with "no one's told me that" trust me I've got that reply...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen... [smilie=upyeah.gif]

I aint paying no monies for any stories, except if its from Paris and she personally tells them to me :wink:

Bloody hell Rusty !! Any excuse to get the green$ into WASI, aint it ?? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok Rustam, here's my 500, please send me the story, rest are bloody cheapskates..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:59 pm 
Fishaholic

LOL :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:24 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:28 am 
Fishaholic

Nothing form Gordon on this site Vishal..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:23 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

To add my four annas, there is also a distinguishing feature between the Rohu & Mirgal, in so much as the body of the mirgal is slightly tilted upwards towards the tail, while the rohu is pretty straight all through.

But i have some confusion with the next picture, which is of a fish from the Kaveri. To me lit ooked like it was from the cirrhinus family, but Gavin says it is a Rohu. Tell me what you guys think.

And the next is definately a rohu (the second one that we caught weekend before last). These guys are easy enough to identify.

We need to start up a seperate thread on Identifying Indian fish species with positive identification methods to distinguish between them.
The problem in India, is that the same fish is called by different names in almost every state by locals, so you cannot be very sure of a positive id, unless more scientific methods like scale count etc are checked and matched,and anglers start keeping records of the same.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:19 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Stevie, 402 species here ... And we also got the "Missing Link".. heard the bugger is in Bandra somewhere. You can call him @ 9820287872.. Real social guy but spent over 15k each on two fish.. Like the saying goes " more money than .... "

now regarding the confusion with the first pic and the fish... THAT IS A ROHU !!!!! :evil: Bugger the species.. But thats a red-blooded, red coloured, very tasty ROHU !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Missing Link Huh ?? .... looks like we gotta meet pal ... and the arowanas are 15K for the silver arowana and 75K for the RTG ( Red tailed Gold )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic