->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Indian Angling on TV
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 pm 

Thought someone maybe interested in this, the story seems a bit hard to believe but the fishing looks good.
According to the article it was on last week but it being shown on the 21st october 8pm, in the UK.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1844

:wink:

Post subject: Re: Indian Angling on TV
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 pm 
Fishaholic

wayne the pain wrote:
Thought someone maybe interested in this, the story seems a bit hard to believe but the fishing looks good.
According to the article it was on last week but it being shown on the 21st october 8pm, in the UK.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1844

Nice! And thanks for sharing :)

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 am 
Fishaholic

:wink: wayne, is there any chances for you to record the show and
upload it in youtube video, so that we all here can have a good time.

Cheers. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:59 am 

Researchers have been dispatched to the Great Kali river in India to study whether a form of giant catfish called “goonches” have taken to preying on humans. The Indians traditionally burn their dead in the river, which, according to local lore, has led in two ways to the fish attacking humans: #1 - because the fish have dined on a steady diet of corpses they have grown unusually large; #2 - eating dead humans has resulted in their developing a taste for flesh which may be leading them to see live humans as a viable source of food.

The first supposed incident of a goonch attack came in 1988 when a 17-year old Nepalese boy was pulled under by an unknown animal when he was cooling himself in the water. Only a few months ago, however, an 18-year old Nepalese boy was killed by what witnesses called an “elongated pig” while swimming in the river. Could it be that the goonches have taken to attacking humans? Could it also be that they only eat delicious teenagers from Nepal?

The story is aggressively pursued by English angler/biologist/television personality, Jeremy Wade. He has already caught a specimen that was 161 lbs. and over 6 ft. long, large enough probably to maybe drown a swimming human.

Wade has immediately discredited the theory that crocodiles are responsible for the attacks, saying, “If a crocodile were to have perpetrated these attacks on humans, stories about me would not have appeared in a few crappy newspapers, thereby making it highly unlikely that crocodiles are to blame and much more likely that giant mutant catfish who normally subsist on a diet of small prawns and insects are the culprits.”

http://www.fearbeneath.com/2008/10/have ... man-flesh/

Post subject: Re: hi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 am 

g s b wrote:
:wink: wayne, is there any chances for you to record the show and
upload it in youtube video, so that we all here can have a good time.

Cheers. :wink:

Sorry i dont have a dvd recorder, but there is a few people on another site i frequent said they will be posting it there, i'll let you know soon as i can. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

I can record any TV programme....but provided they are being aired in our territory
Lemme know if there's anything coming up guys...

Regards
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey,
I went after the Goonj for a long time and found that though she generally sits at the bottom -with her mouth open - gobbling up everything-and that is what explains her rapid growth - there are times of the day when she rises and becomes agressive.
Fed on half burnt bodies of humans on India -Nepal border -its possible for her to turn an oppurtunity hunter on humans. But my experience when I took her out was that she was the least agressive of all fish I have caught so far and personally I have regarded her as more of a vaccum cleaner and oppurtunity hunter of the waters.Oppurtunity hunter also when she was probably short of food.
I wonder if we should brand this fish as a maneater - whereas she is a garbage cleaner.
Her skin of face and mouth are very tough . The sharpest of sharp hooks will not penetrate her facial skin .Thats atleast in the initial stages of the fight.You need to make your hooks blunt and resharpen them to handle her.If the hook does go through the shin of the head / mouth ,there is no way U can take it out forward or backwards - even with normal pliers.
Nice to have something big in freshwaters at the other end too !
Cheers
Hamdhingra