->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Catfish
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:36 pm 

This is a catfish caught by my younger brother Marcus at Varthur lake (on the way to Whitefield from Bangalore). The Fish weighed in at 4.5 kilos and was caught using Chicken Boti(innards) on 8lb line. It is very much alive swimming around in our sump tank along with his other catch of Tilapia (luckily this tank is not connected to our water supply, we use borewell water).

After it jumped out of the tub.

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Please get Marcus to join this forum.. The little dude's catch is nearly as big as him..

Marcus - [smilie=thatworks.gif] That be one good catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:36 am 
Enlightened

Dear all,

how do you call this catfish? It isn't Wallago Attu or one of the other famous Indian siluroids. Looks very much as our European giant catfish.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 pm 

Hi Dirk,

Not sure myself as I have only seen this fish on the pictures (was at work when this was caught), however, I am still trying to locate my book on Indian fishes to identify it.

Regards,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

That looks like one of those African Catfish that the Indian government has banned.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:30 pm 
Enlightened

Dear Alexis,
which book on Indian fish species are you using? As already written to Owen I own a few books about the Indian fishes, but they rarely offer good colour plates. Pictures are mostly not available at all. I understand that it is much more difficult to put together a nice easy working book about Indian fish as to do the same for the common German species. Here there are only few more as 60 species in total and in India there should be more as 600. But who knows maybe you can inform me about the book I'm looking for.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:52 pm 

Hi Dirk,
Apart from the usual books on Mahseer Angling which offer very little reference to catfish, I have 2 other books - 1.) Fishes by Mary Chandy, and 2.) Freshwater Fishes of India by R.J. Ranjit Daniels - am looking around my house for this book. Also you can vist this site, vedamsbooks.com they have a lot of books on fishes of India.

I have also been looking on the internet to identify it, but no luck so far.

Regards,
Alexis

P.S. Whereabouts Germany are you located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:46 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Alexis,
just bought the second of your mentioned titles (Fishes of peninsular India). Was available at a acceptable price at Alltimebooks. Do you know them too? I already bought at Vedams, but Alltimebooks/OscarPublications is a good source too. This time they were also about 10.00$ cheaper.

We are living close to the RUHRGEBIET area of Germany, this means between the cities Münster and Dortmund. Do you know that part of Germany?

Your fish: If it is our European Giant Catfish you might get some very nice sport as they grow extremely well. Can get longer as 2m and can weigh more as 100kg. If there have been people stocking African catfish it could be possible that our cats got added too. I’m sure they can survive and breed under Indian conditions. Finally it would be a bad thing, even if it is a very sportive fish. If they would be added and breed successfully they can do much more harm as the Tilapia. A really big hungry predator. Even here in Germany stocks of them have very much affected the stocks of some waters (some of the original species disappearing totally). There is one picture of me holding such catfish in the image gallery. In fact it is just a small one of maybe 30kg. I caught them up to 60kg.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:03 pm 

Hi Dirk,

I buy all my books at Gangarams Book store or Premier book shop, both located on MG Road, Bangalore, as I like to glance thru the books before i buy them.

I managed to get the fish out of the tank and take pics. I think it is a Walking Catfish. Below are the pics.

Regards,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Alexis,
I had a close look at the pictures you've posted of that catfish. I think it might be a 'Magur' which was imported from Africa as a food fish because of the speed at which the damn thing grew. It now is illegal to breed these fish as the government woke up and realised they had a potential ecological disaster on the hands.

I've attached a couple of pages for you to go through, I hope they help.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AC378E/AC378E02.htm

Don't the fish in the basket look similar to the one you have?

http://www.nefisco.org/Chari%20in%20the%20Bari.htm

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:16 pm 

Hi MM,

I just went thru this book "Freshwater Fishes of Peninsular India" and it definitely is Magur - Trade name: Walking Catfish.

Anyway, its been eating all the Tilapia that my younger bro caught.

Regards,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:17 am 
Enlightened

Even now with better and more photos I have to say that this catfish is very much looking like a small brother of our European cat. Head and snout are different but the colour and body structure are nearly the same.. Any information about how big this Africans get get?

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,

MM is right. it is the hybrid magur which can grow up to 15kg. We have a few of these in our pond. We also reared in our basement tank at our place. They like to eat the chichen wastes. The local magur grows up to 800gms only. The main problem with these hybrid ones is that they eat all the small fishes in the ponds. It is banned in Assam also.