->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

I note this is a really tiny tiny discussion area as we seem to have very few fly fishing guys. I am certain there would be a lot of information coming forth.

Some of us in Delhi are very keen to start fly fishing and I too have ordered some equipment.

Basic Questions:
1. What is backing material. Can we use mono?
2. leader/Tippet

Not so basic Question:
Views on reel weights - balance etc

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm 

I wouldn't use mono as backing for a full flyline as fly reels have no gearing so sometimes you have to recover line by hand if a fish turns quickly towards you. Mono can tangle in this case. Superbraids are also not a good idea as these can cut your fingers if you hook a decent sized fish and get down to the backing. The vast majority of time you won't ever see the backing so just use a realtively cheap (thick) dacron line of 20 - 30 lbs.

Leaders turn over better when they are tapered. I nail knot 18 lb nylon to the main line and taper that down to the tippet diameter using one intermediate diameter. How short the taper is depends on how you fish. I like fishing a team of three nymphs so I bring the taper down quickly. if you are fishing two flies or even one then you can bring the taper down more gradually. Use a grinner (Uni) knot to join different diameters if there is no dropper. I prefer the blood knot for droppers as the dropper stands out at right angles to the main line. I like a nylon with a bit of stretch for leaders and over the years have settled on Maxima mostly because I've found the knots more reliable. I've tried some of the new hi tech monos but they generally disappoint and I haven't found that floro made any difference to the fish.

It's nice to have a reel that balances your rod but quite honestly go for a lightweight reasonably price reel and spend the money on an additional line (like an intermediate sinker). I generally use relatively cheap graphite reels and find them good enough for the type of fishing possible with line weights #4 to #7. If you are planning some salt water flyfishing though then you probably should look at a reel with a drag - then you are talking serious money.

You'll quickly work out your own style. Good luck and tight lines. Tell us about your trips - I might bring some of my fly gear out of storage.

Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Granta,

Thanks for your tips. Valuable.

I intend to do some mahseer fishing on fly...... later in August. If it works out for me, then take your fly rod out and drop in for a fishing trip of a life time!

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:43 am 

Hi Samsondhi

I'd love to hear how you get on. Mahseer on the fly will be a "reel" challenge (sorry pathetic pun :D ).

I guess you will be fishing with a single big fly downstream and across on a swift river. This is very similar to salmon fishing in the fast rivers in the Highlands Scotland - where I was brought up. You might find that the fly is in the air longer than it is fishing due to the current. Space for a backcast might limit the length of your cast too. The solution they use in Scotland is to use longer double handed rods (13 -15 ft) and a style called Spey-casting which uses the river current to maximise distance. It is type of roll cast with a 60 degree change of direction. The line is always in front so you can fish wooded banks. I never learned to Spey cast but it is the most graceful style of flyfishing and minimises the time the fly is in the air. I've watched in amazement as guys use this technique to cast an entire line plus a lot of backing on cast after cast.

Do let us know how you get on. I'd love to give this a try.

tight lines
Allan

Post subject: Fly Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:06 pm 

Dear Samsondhi

I have been fly fishing for two years now here in Oman, only slatwater. Its best to see someone do it to get the basics right. I am on vacation for two weeks from the 1st of OCT. Could drop in Delhi for a day or two and show the Delhi group some basics in fly fishing as also tying basic flies. Have two professional fly fishermen here who want to come up north for some wild trout. This trip may also help me set up something with them and the Delhi Group. I could fly down on the 1st of October..spend the weekend there ie the 2nd & 3rd and fly out on the 4th. If you get into fly fishing you will stop all other styles of fishing. Its awesome!!!. See my two uploads when I first started fishing.

Regards Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Allan,

Actually the place we are going has still water, so I guess it would be a lesser challange, rivers - later, but for sure. Welcome to join us anytime!!

--

Dear Carlton,

I am sure what you say about flyfishing is true and we look forward to meeting you. Do PM when ever you plan a trip to Delhi.

Cheers to all!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:03 am 

Dear Samsondhi

With regards to gear. Since I am only fishing saltwater and mainly from the beach I have a six and eight weight rod with matching reel and fly line. Here again I have tropicalised fly lines due to the heat in Oman. Saltwater fly lines are generally around 90feet in length and three basic types. Floating,Intermediate & Sinking lines. Depending on where the fish are you would need to cast with that line. If i see the fish on the surface then move to a floating line. Mostly use an intermediate line as this is the best allround line for saltwater. The fly is just below the surface. The tippet which is attached to the front of the fly line is basically florocarbon fishing line that is tapered down in sections to allow for a smooth cast and presentation. I start with a 4 foot 20 pound line and taper it to a 10 pound line. Total length is between 9 - 12 feet. Backing is plain twine and quite cheap. Backing is basically used when the fish is large and has run with all your fly line. Knots are very imporatnt here as the whol setup has to be smooth. With regards to freshwater it would depend on the fish. If the fish are small then a 3/4 wt with matching reel & line would be good. The lighter the setup the better the feel when fighting the fish. Once the basic setup is ready you would need to learn how to cast the fly line. Here a technique called the double haul is used to cast the fly line with the fly attached almost 80 to 90 feet. At the monent I can cast around 60 to 70 feet. The further you cast the better the chances in saltwater. More questions welcome

Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Carlton,

We are looking at fish (Mahseer) weighing from 1.1/2 lbs to 10 lbs (hopefully), fortunately even the small ones seem to be on steroids. Irrespective of size there is a decent run and fight., but never really more than 20 yards run. I guess they look for rocks to hide and very rare that they will take a run to the deep or straight out, so that leaves the question on backing. Since we have a paucity of lines here in India, and I missed ordering a backing, I guess it would be okay to use any backing - mono/braid?
On depth to fish, the situation is dynamic, and normally both opportunities to fish deep as well as near surface come about in the course of the day - provided its not too cold. I read more equipment/lines to match the fishing!!
IG - hope you have read this!!

Thanks, will have more questions after a trip which should be in the near future.

Thanks again to all and cheers!!

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 pm 
Fishaholic

samsondhi wrote:
Dear Carlton,

even the small ones seem to be on steroids. Irrespective of size there is a decent run and fight., but never really more than 20 yards run.
Sam

Sam Sam Sam! Yup they are all on steroids. But I am amazed you have never had a run of more than 20 yards. The last fish I got at Bhakra, a 6kg one, took more than 100 mtrs straight off. It also circled the boat tried doing a few tailwalks.

Next time mate. We'll find you one of the long distance runners.

Carlton! Though you do get the lazy ones most mahseer run the minute they feel the hook. If the water is moving the run is longer but there are no rules, except one -- Don't try and stop the first run.

There is the second run. This happens when the fish sees you for the first time. It comes fast and hard. Again do not try and stop it.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:57 pm 

Hi Mahaseerken/Sam

Cant wait to see the masheer of North India. Looking forward to the October trip. Is anyone fly fishing for them as yet. If yes and if any success what flies were they using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear MK,

Just trying to be conservative in my views!!

Very often I tend to think the fish had taken a much smaller run than I hoped, thus the feeble run guesstimation!!

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:44 pm 

Interesting discussion.Started fly fishing recently.